good deal for vinyl today

$45 is what passes for a good deal on vinyl these days?

Well considering what it was going for first time out ($70 or so) I would say so. And what people try and get for stuff on eBay.

Meanwhile Pavement at $11 per is no great deal either considering they have been producing Pavement LPs all along. (Unless by some chance these are double LPs...)

LouieB

Well considering what it was going for first time out ($70 or so) I would say so. And what people try and get for stuff on eBay.

Meanwhile Pavement at $11 per is no great deal either considering they have been producing Pavement LPs all along. (Unless by some chance these are double LPs...)

LouieB

$70 is a straight rip-off. $45 is not a good deal. It's only a better price than full retail.

Who the hell has $70 (or even $45) to spend on a vinyl version of a live album they most likely already own on cd?

140g vinyl pressing of previously-released material...the Wilco is a better deal.

i wish LPs were priced at $10 a pop, but they aren't. so getting a 25% discount is pretty nice. CDs are generally worthless, and the only time I buy CDs these days are if I can't find the LP/wasn't pressed on vinyl, or if i find a good price on a used copy.

140g vinyl pressing of previously-released material...the Wilco is a better deal.

i wish LPs were priced at $10 a pop, but they aren't. so getting a 25% discount is pretty nice. CDs are generally worthless, and the only time I buy CDs these days are if I can't find the LP/wasn't pressed on vinyl, or if i find a good price on a used copy.

I'm glad you feel like you got a good deal.

i wish LPs were priced at $10 a pop, but they aren't.

They are where I live. Maybe not new releases on audiophile vinyl, but I don't need that. To me, more music is more important than pristine audio quality. For $70 I could buy Miles Davis's entire catalog of '60 quintet releases (new/sealed), and walk out with change in my pocket. That's a far better deal than any single Wilco album.

most of the stuff i am interested in are smaller pressing size things...take a look at the mail order operations of Forced Exposure, All That Is Heavy, Volcanic Tongue, Time-Lag, Eclipse, Fusetron, Aquarius, etc...that's where I get a lot of my music from, and the artists just can't sell a record for $10 if the pressing size is 500-1000...the economics just aren't there.

$10 LPs are certainly way out of the norm for the stuff I browse. audiophile pressing or not.

I'm glad you feel like you got a good deal.

:cheekkiss

somehow I doubt your sincerity.

on another board, we refer to this insanity as The Rock Curse.

:cheekkiss

somehow I doubt your sincerity.

on another board, we refer to this insanity as The Rock Curse.

Completely sincere. It's your money, and I'm glad you feel it's being spent wisely.

I have no idea what insanity you're referring to or what The Rock Curse means.

The Rock Curse is when a newer/deluxe edition or box set comes out, and you've already got an earlier version...record companies do this all the time, and I have definitely overlapped a lot of purchases (Pavement, Elvis Costello, The Stooges, Wilco, etc).

Oh, yeah. That's annoying. Especially in cases like Bowie's stuff, in which the current versions are far inferior to the previous version. They seem to be correcting that now with deluxe versions of some of his albums.

$70 is a straight rip-off. $45 is not a good deal. It's only a better price than full retail.

Who the hell has $70 (or even $45) to spend on a vinyl version of a live album they most likely already own on cd?

My turntable setup is way better than my CD setup, so buying cds is basically a waste of money in my case. I was glad to have the chance to pay anything to get a great live album, from one of my favorite bands on vinyl. I listen to it all the time. The box set is extremely nice, much nicer than the My Morning Jacket box, and the vinyl is high quality, flat, and with no surface noise.

• 4 weeks later...