The Jayhawks, Webster Hall, NYC 1/20/11

Just got in from NYC and barely beat the snowstorm on the Connecticut Turnpike. Great show. They went on at 8 PM and played for a little under two hours without a break. Hollywood Town Hall was fantastic from the first song to the last. Being one of my all time favorite albums, this was a real treat. They played a couple of new ones which sounded like your typical Jayhawks songs and played a few from Tomorrow the Green Grass including Blue,I'd Run Away and Miss Williams' Guitar. I do not have the complete set list but between the complete HTH album and the few TTGG selections I heard most of the songs I would have liked to hear at any Jayhawks show. They seemed to be enjoying themselves and the crowd was very receptive. The venue was cozy. We managed to stand about four rows deep from mid stage. The sound was excellent. We stood near the back exit for the encore and could still see and hear everything pretty well. I'm sure someone will post the set list.

EDIT:

Setlist from the Village Voice

Waiting for the Sun

Crowded in the Wings

Clouds

Two Angels

Take Me with You (When You Go)

Sister Cry

Settled Down Like Rain

Wichita

Nevada, California

Martin's Song

I'd Run Away

Warm River

Tomorrow In The Green Grass

Nothing Left To Borrow

There's No Place For People Like Him

She Walks In So Many Ways

Miss Williams' Guitar

Black Eyed Susan

Reason To Believe

Blue

(encore)

Tampa To Tulsa

Up Above My Head

Lights

Links to one shitty review and one good one:

My link

My link

Yeah was a great show. I even snagged Mr. Olsons setlist after the show!

The band sounded great! Crowd seemed to dig it. Some interesting songs after the Hollywood album were played. Only 2 complaints which are minor. Karens instruments need to be turned WAAAAY up! Also, was really, really hoping to hear some Bunkhouse as they played some in Toronto! Here is hoping for tonight!

:dancing

I agree that Karen was way down in the mix - could not hear her unless she was the only one playing, which means I heard her only a few times over the two nights. HTH was ragged to me on night #1 - most of the songs were played a beat too slowly, including Sister Cry, Settled Down Like Rain, and Nevada, California. Martin's Song was spot on, though, and the rest of night #1 was very good after that.

I thought the second night was much, much better. I am a bigger fan of HTH, but TTGG was a better album to see in its entirety. And, they just played better on the second night. Gary was sharper on the solos, and their vocals were more in sync (they were way off a few times on the first night). The new songs - Black-Eyed Susans in particular - were catchy.

Loved that they closed with Lights both nights. Overall, very satisfying. Like seeing an old friend for the first time in 15 years.

One thing that I commented to my son about after the show was how neither Gary nor Mark changed guitars once throughout the whole show. Gary stuck to his Gibson SG and Mark to his acoustic Guild. Kind of kept the pace of the show quicker than most. Not much in the way of alternate tunings for the Jayhawks I guess.

One thing that I commented to my son about after the show was how neither Gary nor Mark changed guitars once throughout the whole show. Gary stuck to his Gibson SG and Mark to his acoustic Guild. Kind of kept the pace of the show quicker than most. Not much in the way of alternate tunings for the Jayhawks I guess.

Funny that they commented on this on the second night. Something about how they only need one guitar for a show, and how they hope they don't break a string. And it does keep the momentum going.

I was at both shows in Chicago and Karen was also way down in the mix. I don't most sound folks have any idea how to get the keyboards to be heard. Meanwhile Gary was smokin, despite only using one guitar.

LouieB