They should have called it climate change from the start

...instead of 'global warming'.

The terrible cold snaps seem to offer a rebuttal of Global Warming (although the evidence for warming is inescapable).

But, it's like the housing bubble. There were Cassandras out there forecasting the bubble bursting, but they were dismissed as cranks. People are much better at laying blame and looking for scapegoats than they are at recognizing problems and acting accordingly.

It's been said a million times but I'll say it again: Do not confuse weather with climate change.

The earth is getting warmer. As paradoxical as it may sound, that means that we sometimes have wicked cold snaps.

It's been said a million times but I'll say it again: Do not confuse weather with climate change.

The earth is getting warmer. As paradoxical as it may sound, that means that we sometimes have wicked cold snaps.

I understand that. But it all falls on deaf ears for those who don't want to believe.

I almost got into it on FB with a conservative friend of mine who was all smarmy about global warming today in light of the blizzard... then I realized he almost certainly posted that stuff solely to rile me up, so I let it go. :thumbup

This is true. It also doesn't help proponents of there is no climate change to point to big snow storms and cold weather as evidence that there is no change either. We have had cold and snow before and will again.

(I am sick of winter already...)

LouieB

This is true. It also doesn't help proponents of there is no climate change to point to big snow storms and cold weather as evidence that there is no change either. We have had cold and snow before and will again.

(I am sick of winter already...)

LouieB

The huge snowstorms are, ironically enough symptoms OF global warming. Because the Earth is warming up, the polar caps are melting. Because the polar caps are melting, there is more moisture on the planet. Because there is more moisture on the planet, there is more moisture in the air. Because there is more moisture in the air, there are greater chances for major storms, including the stuff that is going on in Australia, AND major snowstorms, such as what is happening in the northern US right now.

All that moisture has to come from somewhere... has anybody noticed that there have been more major storms recently — both rain and snow?

It doesn't mean the end of winter, just the end of a lot of other stuff and a lot of places underwater.

Spring will come and that stuff will melt. And it's gonna be a mess. Again.

I've never been a proponent of global warming, but we got our first white Christmas in upstate South Carolina since the early 60's. We also had a major snow/ice storm a few weeks ago that basically closed down the city for a week... I've never seen one that bad in the 20 years that I've lived here.

So it has seemed like an especially aggressive winter this year..

Gore is definitely full of shit. "Man has caused Global Warming. We are ruining our planet!!!! Buy my movie or we are all gonna die!!!!!!!!!"

But if there is global warming, I believe it's part of a natural cycle. The earth's temperature has been fluctuating for billions of years. Our little existence on this earth is just a wink in that time frame. Yeah, humans may contribute a tiny percentage to the problem, but I'm sure it's not enough to really make an impact.

You may be right. But are you willing to bet the planet on that?

Personally, I'm not. The mere chance that we're a significant contributor to climate change, and that by changing our behavior we might be able to slow its progress or stop it in its tracks, is sufficient reason to start trying.

If it turns out that humans have nothing to do with it, well, at least we would have developed cleaner and more sustainable means of living our lives. But the consequences of going all in on the idea that we don't contribute to climate change, and using that assumption to justify doing nothing about it -- and then losing that bet -- would be a catastrophe for every living creature on the planet.

Personally, I'm not. The mere chance that we're a significant contributor to climate change, and that by changing our behavior we might be able to slow its progress or stop it in its tracks, is sufficient reason to start trying.

If it turns out that humans have nothing to do with it, well, at least we would have developed cleaner and more sustainable means of living our lives. But the consequences of going all in on the idea that we don't contribute to climate change, and using that assumption to justify doing nothing about it -- and then losing that bet -- would be a catastrophe for every living creature on the planet.

Oh I agree with you. This is just my personal belief on the reasons for climate change, but that should definitely not stop us from working to make the earth a cleaner place. Even if we have absolutely nothing to do with it, I think everyone is still obligated to leave the world in better shape than the way we found it.

Guest Speed Racer

Gore is definitely full of shit. "Man has caused Global Warming. We are ruining our planet!!!! Buy my movie or we are all gonna die!!!!!!!!!"

"Man, your house totally blew up."

"I know, it sucks! I have nowhere to live."

"Did the house give you any sort of warning signs at all?"

"Well, this one guy did stop by and tell me about a dangerous gas leak, but he's a tool and kind of annoying so I didn't listen to him at all."

Yeah, that's real smart.

this is so true!

"Man, your house totally blew up."

"I know, it sucks! I have nowhere to live."

"Did the house give you any sort of warning signs at all?"

"Well, this one guy did stop by and tell me about a dangerous gas leak, but he's a tool and kind of annoying so I didn't listen to him at all."

Yeah, that's real smart.

What's your point.

Guest Speed Racer

I don't like Al Gore either, but that doesn't mean that what he says is bullshit. ETA: Not taking someone's advice just because you think he's a tool, in effect, makes you a fool.

I don't like Al Gore either, but that doesn't mean that what he says is bullshit. ETA: Not taking someone's advice just because you think he's a tool, in effect, makes you a fool.

I know I was just fuckin with ya. :)

He's full of shit because he made everything to appear to be HARD FACTS in his movie.. And were all doomed etc... When in reality, he really has no clue.. Nobody really does.. There are theories but nothing has been 100% proven that global warming is man made.

I'd rather err on the side of caution as well, but I was just sayinzall.

Guest Speed Racer

There are theories but nothing has been 100% proven that global warming is man made.

You do realize that nothing will be proven until the earth blows up, we all die, and someone in a space station goes, "So that's what caused it!" Right? That waiting for a "theory" to become "fact" won't happen until we get to the punchline?

As far as I'm concerned, not "believing" in climate change is like not "believing" in a savings account. "Sure, people theorize that I might have emergencies, but no one can prove that I'll be laid off or have an immediate need for cash-in-hand, therefore I'll spend my whole paycheck." Except here, there's no line of credit. It's the earth or nothing.

You do realize that nothing will be proven until the earth blows up, we all die, and someone in a space station goes, "So that's what caused it!" Right? That waiting for a "theory" to become "fact" won't happen until we get to the punchline?

As far as I'm concerned, not "believing" in climate change is like not "believing" in a savings account. "Sure, people theorize that I might have emergencies, but no one can prove that I'll be laid off or have an immediate need for cash-in-hand, therefore I'll spend my whole paycheck." Except here, there's no line of credit. It's the earth or nothing.

I didn't say I didn't believe in climate change, I said I don't believe that humans are the major cause of it. Like I said in an earlier post, it never hurts to be "green" and care about the earth (my family recycles and all of that jazz) but it's my theory that climate change is part of a natural cycle, and humans have little to do with it.

Guest Speed Racer

Everything is cyclical. I won't work here forever, but I bet that if I wag my naked fanny on top of the xerox machine that would certainly expedite the end of my tenure.

Point being, we are behaving out of character: machines have only existed for 200 out of millions of years, and the earth wasn't really intended for them otherwise engines would have grown on trees.

Whatever. You've made your decision.

For all the good that his movie may have done in spreading the word about climate change, I think Gore's involvement in the cause has done more damage than good (at least here in the US). He opened the flood gates for the intrusion of politics into scientific debate, and now we have huge numbers of the population here (almost entirely conservatives) who have been led to believe that climate change is hoax.

Scientists should be the ones questioning other scientific research, not politicians (and certainly not tv/radio personalities). And among scientists, it's pretty much unanimous that climate change is real and is happening, and that it is "very likely" influenced by man & the side-effects of industrial technology.