J Mascis (new record)

Hadn't seen much mentioned on the new J Mascis solo album from Sup Pop coming out next month. The two tracks I've heard so far are killer and have sweet backing vocals from Ben Bridwell (Band Of Horses).

I will always claim that Dino Jr. records especially Green Mind onward hold up better than 90% of the alt era music. I will admit I have little use for pre Green Mind Dino Jr. or Dinosaur, little love for Lou Barlow stuff. I feel that the the late 90's Dino Jr. album Hand It Over is awesome so is the first J Mascis and the Fog record More Light. I know this puts me in general opposite feel for most who believe that the early Dinosaur records are where it is at, but those just seem noisy without the strong melodies and masterful guitar work.

Oh by the way, I generally like the two reunion Dino Jr. records, except the Lou Barlow tracks. Farm was especially solid.

Anyway, my two cents.

I think his new one will be great. Ask me in about a month and a half when I see him play the new stuff in concert.

I, being a HUGE Sebadoh/Lou Barlow fan, fall in the "J's music is best when played with Lou Barlow camp." Although I like Green Mind quite a bit....not so much on everything else. The way Lou plays bass in Dinosaur adds that extra umph J music. The first 3 Dino albums and their last 2 are spectacular. I think J brings the best out in Lou and Lou brings the best out in J. Win-win situation.

• 10 months later...
I will always claim that Dino Jr. records especially Green Mind onward hold up better than 90% of the alt era music. I will admit I have little use for pre Green Mind Dino Jr. or Dinosaur, little love for Lou Barlow stuff. I feel that the the late 90's Dino Jr. album Hand It Over is awesome so is the first J Mascis and the Fog record More Light. I know this puts me in general opposite feel for most who believe that the early Dinosaur records are where it is at, but those just seem noisy without the strong melodies and masterful guitar work.

damn!

check out:

R3HYt8PqnA8

Eyp71Wpy4e0

and no love for Sebadoh?! crazy talk.