hi gang!

big fan of many types of music. was recently at a truckers show, and the pre-show tunes were absolutely wonderful. i know patterson's connection to the sound, and have researched the history, but i need a lil help to get some content: artists/ records.

any recommendations???

thanks!

These are not (necessarily) the "classic" artists and songs, but these are still damn good collections with a great overview of the sound. Highly recommended comps:

51VPPEMDY5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg51CH6OHBNNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Again, not a part of the 1960's "classic" cannon, but an undeniable classic, nonetheless, from a central figure in the whole Birmingham scene:

61R9BM3D2KL._SL500_AA300_.gif

Other than that, I am with you in looking for more on this sound. It is a great one.

hi gang!

big fan of many types of music. was recently at a truckers show, and the pre-show tunes were absolutely wonderful. i know patterson's connection to the sound, and have researched the history, but i need a lil help to get some content: artists/ records.

any recommendations???

thanks!

You are kind of asking us backwards. What have you learned in your research and what artists and records are you interested in. Hundreds (maybe thousands) of recordings were made at this studio, so nailing it down is a bit difficult. There were many southern soul albums made there as well as rock records too. See here I guess and keep going.

LouieB

When I think of Muscle Shoals, I think of The Stones' songs Brown Sugar and Wild Horses. There is some great footage in the Gimme Shelter dvd of Muscle Shoals.

When I think of Muscle Shoals, I think of The Stones' songs Brown Sugar and Wild Horses. There is some great footage in the Gimme Shelter dvd of Muscle Shoals.

That must have been a crazy time. I remember seeing the footage long ago, but I wonder what they did when they weren't in the studio.

LouieB

That must have been a crazy time. I remember seeing the footage long ago, but I wonder what they did when they weren't in the studio.

LouieB

I don't know what they did, I guess I need to check some of my Stones' books.

2nd - 4th December 1969:

Florence, Alabama, Muscle Shoals Sound Studios.

Producer: Jimmy Miller. Sound engineer: Jimmy Johnson.

2nd December:

- You Gotta Move I (Fred McDowell/Rev. Gary Davis) -unverified

Note: About nineteen takes of You Gotta Move were recorded, most of them were

erased.

3rd December:

- Brown Sugar I (MJ/KR) -STU on piano, very early vocal mix, with "oh baby" at end

- Loving Cup (MJ/KR) -unrecorded, MJ (voc, p) only

Note: The Stones rehearsed Brown Sugar the whole night until they had a proper take.

4th December:

- Wild Horses I (MJ/KR) - with Jim Dickinson on tack piano, given as demo to Gram

Parsons.

- Brown Sugar II (MJ/KR) - STU on piano; new vocals, no sax, much better mix to

version I, from "Decca-acetate"

- Say It’s Not You (Dallas Frazier) -unrecorded, but filmed; KR on piano only

- Your Angel Steps Out Of Heaven (Jack Ripley) -unrecorded; KR on piano only

Note: The Stones recorded all in all twelve takes of Wild Horses, most of them were

erased.

The recordings (and the stay in Alabama) were filmed by the Maysles brothers

for the upcoming Gimme Shelter-movie.

That must have been a crazy time. I remember seeing the footage long ago, but I wonder what they did when they weren't in the studio.LouieB

Probably the same thing they did while they were in the studio. Heroin.

Again, not a part of the 1960's "classic" cannon, but an undeniable classic, nonetheless, from a central figure in the whole Birmingham scene:

61R9BM3D2KL._SL500_AA300_.gif

I gotta second this Dan Penn recording. Dan Penn is one of the great soul songwriters from the Muscle Shoals scene. He's got a great voice, too. This is a wonderful record with the Muscle Shoals band backing him up singing songs he wrote that others had hits with, even though it was recorded many years after the heydey of the 60s to 70s.

More about Dan Penn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vuoo6Y16x0s&feature=player_embedded#at=142

Here is a clip of Jagger and Richards talking about Atlantic Records and Muscle Shoals. It has some of the footage that LouieB and I were talking about. Jagger's impersonation of Ahmet Ertegun is pretty funny.

My older sister was/is a huge Bob Seger fan, I remember that Night Moves, Stranger in Town, and The Distance were played a shit load around the house when I was kid. I never realized that he recorded at Muscle Shoals before I went through the link that LouieB provide.

great link, louie- thanks. I picked up some eddie hinton and the penn record.

a somewhat related side note- warren haynes new solo record is on amazon for $3.99 today - going to see him saturday at the tower!

that warren record freakin

bops

grooves

hops

and pops..... :thumbup

what a lineup- ruthie foster on backup and some

neville piano/organ fills

horn section chart in place

should i start a separate thread?

should i acknowledge frontal baldness?

does it sound schweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

YES TO THE LAST 3!

:thumbup :dancing

• 2 years later...

Saw the first half of  the Muscle Shoals doc on my local PBS station. Only got about halfway through it before I had to shut it off so I could get up for work this morning. Got chills on several occasions and I'm only halfway through. Gonna try to watch the rest of this thing ASAP. You all would do well to do the same!

Saw the first half of the Muscle Shoals doc on my local PBS station. Only got about halfway through it before I had to shut it off so I could get up for work this morning. Got chills on several occasions and I'm only halfway through. Gonna try to watch the rest of this thing ASAP. You all would do well to do the same!

Yeah, it's an excellent documentary.

Saw the first half of  the Muscle Shoals doc on my local PBS station. Only got about halfway through it before I had to shut it off so I could get up for work this morning. Got chills on several occasions and I'm only halfway through. Gonna try to watch the rest of this thing ASAP. You all would do well to do the same!

Have been looking out for that one but haven't seen it airing yet.  Thanks for the recommendation, I will keep stalking it!

I wonder why the Stones ended up at The Muscle Shoals Sound Studio and not at the more established Fame Studios  -- I imagine Sound Studio was cheaper than Fame and perhaps they did not want to deal with Hall.  Perhaps they wanted to deal with the musicians that made those Fame records and not the producer or Fame was booked. I wish they would have asked Keith or Mick.