remastered, re-packaged, deluxe, super legacy edition

Got that Who email today, too. Probably won't get the deluxe, already spent too much money on other stuff this year. It looks great though, it's a great album.

I am about 100 pages into Moon: The Life and Death of a Rock Legend.

I'd like to have it - as that is probably my Favorite Who album. But - that is too much for me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of The Kinks -

Dave Davies - Lost Album (September 26th, 2011)

1. Susannah's Still Alive (stereo)

2. This Man He Weeps Tonight (stereo mix)

3. Mindless Child Of Motherhood (stereo mix)

4. Hold My Hand (stereo)

5. Do You Wish To Be A Man

6. Are You Ready

7. Creeping Jean

8. Crying

9. Lincoln County (stereo)

10. Mr. Shoemaker's Daughter

11. Mr. Reporter (stereo)

12. Groovy Movies

13. There's No Life Without Love

14. I Am Free

15. Death Of A Clown

16. Love Me Till The Sun Shines

17. Susannah's Still Alive

18. Funny Face (mono album version)

19. Lincoln County

20. There's No Life Without Love (mono version)

21. Hold My Hand

22. Creeping Jean

23. This Man He Weeps Tonight

24. Mindless Child Of Motherhood

25. Mr. Reporter (alternate mix)

26. Hold My Hand (demo version)

27. Good Luck Charm

• 2 months later...

How bout the Floyd re-issues.

What is with these guys how many different ways do you need the same songs.

I bought the remaster of Exile in the last 90's then 10 years later the remaster it again....what a joke.

I think I bought every zep album in Album, Cassette, CD............it goes on and on...enough already.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's another one:

Jethro Tull - Aqualung (40th Anniversary - the $17.98 version)

Jethro Tull - Aqualung (40th Anniversary - the $136 version)

I have the 1996 edition - and it does sound really bad. I have read this new release is suppose to be good.

(I believe I use to own this album on 8-Track back in the day.)

it goes on and on...enough already.

Well, as someone who owns much of the music I love only on the crappy mastered CD's from the 80's, I'm loving many of these new remasters. My favorites have been the REM, Tallking Heads, The Replacements, Fleetwood Mac, and Smiths reissues. In many cases, they sound like entirely new albums. Now we need Prince, Tom Waits, and Rickie Lee Jones to follow suit.

anyone have any opinions on the kind of recent Genesis remix/remasters. i've heard they're way too loud. the floyd remasters seem to be getting good reviews. i wonder how the new rush ones are too. not buying those. would like to see a remixed vapor trails. if that comes out, maybe the trend will stop.

fyi, was looking at a bob ludwig talk on youtube where he basically says louder is better! :headbonk

anyone have any opinions on the kind of recent Genesis remix/remasters. i've heard they're way too loud. the floyd remasters seem to be getting good reviews. i wonder how the new rush ones are too. not buying those. would like to see a remixed vapor trails. if that comes out, maybe the trend will stop.

fyi, was looking at a bob ludwig talk on youtube where he basically says louder is better! :headbonk

The Genesis Japanese reissues from a few years ago is probably the best way to go. They dynamics are intact, no brickwalled mastering.

• 8 months later...

Johnny Cash-The Complete Columbia Albums collection coming out October 30th! 63 albums total! 35 albums never-before released on cd! Hell yeah, I'm buying this! It'll complete all the gaps in my JC album collection once and for all. It's currently $269 on amazon, and i preordered it from there. It's selling everywhere else for $329.

http://www.superdelu...llection-63cds/

Johnny Cash-The Complete Columbia Albums collection coming out October 30th! 63 albums total! 35 albums never-before released on cd! Hell yeah, I'm buying this! It'll complete all the gaps in my JC album collection once and for all. It's currently $269 on amazon, and i preordered it from there. It's selling everywhere else for $329.

http://www.superdelu...llection-63cds/

Wow that's only $4 a disc...good deal..I like Cash but am not ready for that kind of commitment but what a great way to do it if you want to delve into it!

• 1 month later...

Massive Attack 'Blue Lines' is due to be re-leased next month. Fully remastered but it doesn't appear to have any additional material etc. The double vinyl set looks nice but not sure I'm gonna shell out £80 for the set.

Truly great album. Probably the last time we had a really interesting music scene here in the UK. Everyone was fawning over Brit-Pop but at the same time artists like Massive Attack, Portishead, Tricky, Roni Size etc were putting out really new and exciting music.

• 10 months later...

Fleetwood Mac - Then Play On (Deluxe Edition - August 20th)

i may need to get this.  i want to get some peter green era Mac, but i'm so damn confused.  is there any comp that has green manilishi, man of the world, oh well, rattle snake?

btw, i wish they'd put out a comp of the best of pre-buckingham nicks stuff.  though, i probably should just buy the albums.  i have kiln house.  love station man, but not much else.

is there any comp that has green manilishi, man of the world, oh well, rattle snake?

I have the one below, quite a good compilation of early Mac stuff.

Fleetwood-Mac-Greatest-Hits---R-524118.j

i may need to get this.  i want to get some peter green era Mac, but i'm so damn confused.  is there any comp that has green manilishi, man of the world, oh well, rattle snake?

btw, i wish they'd put out a comp of the best of pre-buckingham nicks stuff.  though, i probably should just buy the albums.  i have kiln house.  love station man, but not much else.

It's a great album. I just found out today that it was out. The cd I have from the early 1990s sounds like crap - so I hope this one sounds better.

You may want to go for some of the live releases: Live At The Boston Tea Party Volumes 1, 2, 3.

Actually, the first 3 albums(Kinks,Kinda Kinks, The Kink Kontroversy have already been reissued, as i've already got 'em and I hear that more are planned for the future. A Legacy Edition 3 disc uk import of Villiage Green Preservation society(I've got that one, too) was put out a few years ago.

EDIT: Face To Face, Something Else, and Arthur have now come out as well, apparently in just the past month. A muswell Hillbillies deluxe reissue is planned, but i don't see it on amazon yet.

I had wanted to get special editions of most of the Kinks 60's/early 70's albums, so I finally found them pretty cheap on eBay. Bought 5 or 6, only to find out those even newer special editions were coming out.

Tell me - anyone have the previous Arthur SE and the new one?

Do songs like Shangri-La sound pressed to the limit in every version? There are a super dense amount of tracks in that song, so maybe it sounds like that in every version.

Another way to ask - have you ever heard a version of Shangri-La that you thought sounded lush with every instrument clear - or was it just recorded that way originally?

• 4 months later...

I was listening to all my Kinks cds over Christmas break this year. I'll have to go back and check that out. I've always liked the parts where you can hear Dave screaming in the background (in the song Victoria).

I came here to post about then Then Play One re-master. It sounds way way better than the original cd. What a great album. Although I have to say it was a bit jarring when it abruptly goes from Underway to One Sunny Day. I'm not sure I care for that. But - I guess that is the way they intended it to be on the original release.