• 2 months later...

CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE JUST FUCKING FIGURE THIS OUT?!

Seriously, it's been 3 goddamn months. I'm not lazy, I'm just somewhat inept at figuring stuff out on a guitar. Someone here is better than me and they obviously don't like this song very much.

I think it's in drop D tuning, but that's as far as it goes for me. Whale cancer

CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE JUST FUCKING FIGURE THIS OUT?!

Seriously, it's been 3 goddamn months. I'm not lazy, I'm just somewhat inept at figuring stuff out on a guitar. Someone here is better than me and they obviously don't like this song very much.

I think it's in drop D tuning, but that's as far as it goes for me. Whale cancer

My candidate for best first post ever. Welcome aboard!

• 1 month later...

hey guys,

i just tabbed this one out. i've been trying to post it at ultimate guitar forums but their tab submission proceedure is ridiculous, so it keeps getting rejected. i might just post it here.

This is what I've got, couldn't figure out the instrumental at the end... let me know if you think this is more accurate or any changes that should be made. Thanks!

Rising Red Lung

Drop C (all chords relative to nut)

D9 D6

I saw a rising red lung

D9 D9/A

Glisten under the sun

D9 D9/A G4

I wonder when it will pop in the snow

D9 D6

The melody's a mistake

D9 D9/A

Embrace at the wake

D9 D9/A G4

How long does it take for us to know

D9 D6

Want a weight that's been blown

D9 D9/A

For something unknown

D9 D9/A G4

Buried under a mountain of snow

D9 D6

Found a fix for the fits

D9 D9/A

Come listen to this

D9 D9/A G4

As intimate as a kiss over a phone

A9/E

And it goes

Instrumental - D9* A9/E D9* A9/ E G4

D9 D6

Found a fix for the fits

D9 D9/A

Come listen to this

D9 D9/A G4

It's buried under the hiss and it glows

D9 D6

Like a powerful smile

D9 D9/A

Car radio dial

D9 D9/A G4

As intimate as a kiss over a phone

A9/E

And it goes

D9* A9/E D9* A9/ E (Something here not sure what it is then back to...) D9* A9/E D9* A9/ E

End on - 0000xx

D9 - 0 9 7 9 x x

D9/A - 7 7 10 7 x x

A9/E - 2 2 5 2 x x

D6 - 0 9 9 7 x x

G4 - 5 5 9 5 x x

D9* - 0 7 7 5 0 x x

thanks for your suggestions! I will check em out. I think on my transcription i did not specify the bass notes in the chord names.

some technicalities:

a chord such as "D9" implies a dominant 7th in the chord, whereas a "Dadd9" skips the dominant 7th. the chord that you laid out is a Dadd9.

similarly with the G4, what you have written out is a Gadd4 (a major G chord + a 4th). if the 3rd is omitted, that would be a Gsus4. the term "G4" is generally used to mean the single G note within the 4th octave on a piano.

some of these chords are the same chord as i posted but in a different position on the guitar. i'm not sure how jeff tweedy plays it or what is easiest for other people to play.

also, i find it helpful to have the actual chords written out (esp. when they aren't just typical cowboy chord shapes) in order for other instruments to join in more easily without transposing. but i am open to changing the chord names to reflect the relative chord shapes if that is the consensus.

similarly with the G4, what you have written out is a Gadd4 (a major G chord + a 4th). if the 3rd is omitted, that would be a Gsus4. the term "G4" is generally used to mean the single G note within the 4th octave on a piano.

We'd probably want to call it a Gadd11, no? As it is an extension of the chord rather than the substitution for the 3rd?