Death of the CD

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anybody here play their music wirelessly? I'm just curious how this works, there were some products offered by Apple where the music, content, was centralised then beamed through wi-fi.

At the time I thought of reliability of the network, in other works music playing could be interrupted by network malfunction.

Two great channels. XMU can get a little electronic-y for my tastes, but a great way to find current bands. The Loft is a perfect blend of new and old.

This is how our local college station has gotten. Between the electronic stuff and the rap, some days you're hard pressed to hear anything at all resembling rock music. Rap's ok, but a little goes a very long way with me. Electronica, I just don't find any appeal in that whatsoever. People really want to hear electronica while stuck in traffic?

This is how our local college station has gotten. Between the electronic stuff and the rap, some days you're hard pressed to hear anything at all resembling rock music. Rap's ok, but a little goes a very long way with me. Electronica, I just don't find any appeal in that whatsoever. People really want to hear electronica while stuck in traffic?

how about the hours of cardboard ripping on WREK? that's fun stuff!

When I bought The Whole Love, I told the salesman at the store that I wanted the deluxe edition CD.

He shook his head and sorta chuckled at me. :rolleyes Like, "Really? Nobody even buys CD's anymore...."

how about the hours of cardboard ripping on WREK? that's fun stuff!

WRAS was dabbling in that stuff a couple weeks ago. It was baffling. WREK has actually been a more reliable source for a listenable mix in the afternoons than WRAS. Unfortunately, their morning communte music is classical, and that just doesn't work in a car.

I happened to look in one of the giant cd bins at Walmart yesterday. I figured it was only greatest hits, but I noticed they have cds such as all the Van Halen remasters for 5 bucks each.

need to check that out. although, going to walmart is one of the most depressing things in the world.

WRAS was dabbling in that stuff a couple weeks ago. It was baffling. WREK has actually been a more reliable source for a listenable mix in the afternoons than WRAS. Unfortunately, their morning communte music is classical, and that just doesn't work in a car.

right, then it's free jazz after that. i do like Dr. Rock on friday nights. he digs up some good, unknown stuff from the 60s,70s. i'm with you though, album 88 seems to play a lot of hip hop, even during the day when it used to be lots of really independent rock, alternative, etc.

I think in four years time, CDs are pretty much cooked (as in

Question for FLAC fanatics: I'm really curious about the dilemma with iTunes-only tracks (or Amazon-only, etc.), do you wait patiently for these tracks to show up on CD or FLAC downloads? Or do you buy (or steal) the track?

i think it will be at least another decade before CDs are gone. the boomers are still buying as are gen X. digital will ultimately be fine if everything was in one place, downloads were lossless, prices decreased by 50% and real album art came as an option. ex, the new wilco comes out and the deluxe version is the lossless download immediately and then the full gatefold sleeve sent to you. that would be awesome! can't believe this is not happening yet. it's the best of both worlds...the convenience of digital and the experience of vinyl.

Strings/valves/drum heads break, too - so even when one is listening to it live, you get screwed.

I think CD's are going to be around longer than 10 years, just a guess, though. Besides bootleg torrents, I don't do downloads.

Though, I am finally upgrading my audio system to where I can attach a hard drive directly to it and also stream music and have it run through my house speaker set up - so I will see how that changes my opinion of downloads.

Hey, who thought LPs and tapes would have a resurgence. Don't count out the CD. It is an easy and inexpensive way for bands to produce their music. Some hip bands press up LPs, but most folks are still buying CDs if they buy anything at all. Box sets are still being sold every year, although this year the best of offerings were less exciting than in years past I think.

LouieB