So I guess that it's time for the 90's nostalgia, huh?

i can't believe the 90s are over, much less the first of the oughts. we really do get older! 90s weren't bad for music. def better than 80s. however, i'm finding some good 80s. that sound is quaint now.

i can't believe the 90s are over, much less the first of the oughts. we really do get older! 90s weren't bad for music. def better than 80s. however, i'm finding some good 80s. that sound is quaint now.

The nineties were great for music in the UK. Ignoring the 'Brit-pop' stuff bands like Massive Attack and Portishead were producing really exciting music. Tricky and the whole Bristol scene. Great stuff. Drum and Bass, with Goldie and Roni size, was also really exciting. We also had Bjork exploding on the scene. Ahhh great days.

As far at the US of A goes the nineties for me represents the trio of Wilco, Jayhawks and the mighty Grant Lee Buffalo.

I think of the last 20 years as the same era. Same music, same hipster, indie rock attitude, etc. Only difference is that I am now alot older....and alot less interested in trying to keep up.

LouieB

I think of the last 20 years as the same era. Same music, same hipster, indie rock attitude, etc. Only difference is that I am now alot older....and alot less interested in trying to keep up.

LouieB

Agreed.

Which is why, I suppose, the whole nostalgia for the 90's has kinda taken me by surprise.

Seems unnecessary.

i concur with the sentiments above. i was quite a bit more optimistic in the 90s. was also anxious and excited. now, i cool with what i like and that's enough. it's impossible to keep up. as for the 90s trio, mine was jayhawks, wilco and son volt :-)

Looking over the decades collectively...I would probably take the '80s over the '90s. But I think the '90s had more highs. More lows too, though.

The 80s look better in retrospect. There were plenty of great bands around. Unfortunately I was very young so spent my time listening to Duran Duran and Aha instead of the Replacements!!

Sometimes I think it'll take just Clinton (and Stephanopoulos) in the White House, Greenspan in the Central Bank, and Martha Stewart in prime time television, plus Seinfeld, and there you go, the nineties are resurrected.

But then I think, with these people already too old, and Boris Yeltsin brought back from the afterlife, it'll be like roaming in a nation of zombies :)

90s all the way. and i see a pretty distinct difference between then and now, but that's probably because of where i was then. In addition to what's been stated (Son Volt, Jayhawks, Wilco) i'd add late UT (duh), Luna, tail end Feelies, Buffalo Tom, Pavement, the one good G Love record, Portishead, Freakwater, Teenage Fanclub, Johnny Cash American recordings, Rage Against the Machine, Abbey Road, and all the drugs I took.

the 90s. wow. very formative for me. i grew from age 10 to 20. my musical taste expanded from pop/hip hop (mc hammer, bbd, abc, vanilla ice, aerosmith...my first concert, '93) to more indie/grunge (of course): nirvana, pearl jam, stp...then to classic rock where i "found" the stones and led zeppelin, then ended the decade with red hot chilli peppers, third eye blind, counting crows (big time!) and a dabbling into country...

what a meandering path!

the 80'sthe90's all seem to blend together at my stage on the map

can't we just call it the hunnerdseventies?

(shout out to 80/90 crossdecadegender bands!)

The nineties took me from 13 to 23, so it covered a ridiculous amount of discovery. I started with top 40 and ended with John Zorn and Bill Frissel. It was a sprint agianst the mainstream fueled by working in a tiny music store where I could open and listen to anything. It was a dream. Now everyone grows up like that with itunes; only since it takes much less effort, people seem to not search as hard. I stopped searching so hard. I spent the last decade returning to center and being cool with all music. I don't need to be the hipest guy in the room anymore (I never really was). Every song has a perfect moment to play it....except Katy Perry songs. :)

nice post sponge. however, i have rocked out to a katy perry song before :)

I was just poking fun at my daughter with the Katy comment. Continue rocking! :guitar

saw bill frisell at village vanguard a few years back. waited in line on sat night and were the last 2 to get in. a few minutes later they let some other couple in and squezzed them in behind us in the back back corner. elvis costello and diana krall :)

Wow. Elvis and Diana....very cool. Michael Stipe once accedently hit me in the back of the head at a 1997 Pavement show at the 40 Watt. Closest I've come to running into other artists at shows. :headbonk To his credit, he was kind and bought me a beer.

I was just poking fun at my daughter with the Katy comment. Continue rocking! :guitar

Wow. Elvis and Diana....very cool. Michael Stipe once accedently hit me in the back of the head at a 1997 Pavement show at the 40 Watt. Closest I've come to running into other artists at shows. :headbonk To his credit, he was kind and bought me a beer.

That story needs to be told?!