Andrew Breitbart - Dead

the guy was a criminal. why did anyone ever pay attention to him. the media never ever indicted him for his fake videos etc. he and his coverage are a great example of the corp media's inability to school the public, but to keep them anxious, afraid and complacent.

After the death of Sen. Ted Kennedy (D-Mass.), Breitbart wasted no time in attacking the man and his legacy - tweeting out insults that very same day, calling the senator “a f@#$er,” a “villain,” “a prick,” “duplicitous,” and “a special pile of human excrement.”

No tears being shed here for that man. You reap what you sow.

OK I wouldnt have said those things after Kennedy died but Briebart had a point regarding Kennedy unless leaving a woman in a submerged car is righteous behavior.... I guess the greater point is a a human being died and if liked him grieve and if ya didnt, move on

David Frum also nails it

And this is where it becomes difficult to honor the Roman injunction to speak no ill of the dead. It’s difficult for me to assess Breitbart’s impact upon American media and American politics as anything other than poisonous. When one of the leading media figures of the day achieves his success by his giddy disdain for truth and fairness—when one of our leading political figures offers to his admirers a politics inflamed by rage and devoid of ideas—how to withhold a profoundly negative judgment on his life and career?

Especially when that career was so representative of his times?

We live in a time of political and media demagoguery unparalleled since the 19th century. Many of our most important public figures have gained their influence and power by inciting and exploiting the ugliest of passions—by manipulating fears and prejudices—by serving up falsehoods as reported truth. In time these figures will one by one die. What are we to say of this cohort, this group, this generation? That their mothers loved them? That their families are bereaved? That their fans admired them and their employees treated generously by them? Public figures are inescapably judged by their public actions. When those public actions are poisonous, the obituary cannot be pleasant reading.

Kind of vile to say that immediately after his death.

Say what? Are you referring to what ih8music posted? There is a little button on the bottom right of a post. Kindly use it so we know what the f you are talking about.

BTW ih8music that was indeed spot on.

Guest Jules

What he posted (Frum's comments) immediately following Breitbart's death is no different or less "vile" than what Breitbart said about Kennedy. That's all I was trying to point out.

And I am aware of how to quote a post, but thanks for the tip.

Frum's comments were pretty mild compared to just about everything that Breitbart has said on any given subject.

I don't subscribe to the "speak no ill of the dead" rule especially when it would seem like a giant omission to only speak well of someone who was such a polarizing figure. I think this Salon article is pretty much right on.

http://www.salon.com/2012/03/01/what_andrew_breitbart_made_and_what_made_him/

Frum's comments were exceptionally mild and restrained and to equate them with Brietbart's vitriolic spew is absurd.

He may have been a swell guy in person, but what he wrote, the style of "journalism" that he almost singlehandedly created, has had no positive effect on our society. Quite the contrary, I think the world is a much worse place thanks to Brietbart and people like him -- people whose singleminded goal of scoring political points and demeaning the "other side," no matter how disingenuous or outright false the story may be, is what's wrong with American politics today.

Yes, it happens on both sides now -- but he was the pioneer of the "just put it on the internet and people will believe it" style of propaganda. If he was such a good guy in real life that makes it all the worse IMO.

I agree. It matters very little to me what he was like in person. That's not to say that I don't sympathize with the tragedy of someone dying too young and leaving behind a wife and children. I just think that we should be able to have an honest (and respectful) discussion of his life and the impact of his brand of journalism on society. I think the Frum & Salon articles are both honest and respectful. In my opinion, to ignore his flaws would be to ignore the man.

Guest Jules

He may have been a swell guy in person, but what he wrote, the style of "journalism" that he almost singlehandedly created, has had no positive effect on our society. Quite the contrary, I think the world is a much worse place thanks to Brietbart and people like him -- people whose singleminded goal of scoring political points and demeaning the "other side," no matter how disingenuous or outright false the story may be, is what's wrong with American politics today.

Yes, it happens on both sides now -- but he was the pioneer of the "just put it on the internet and people will believe it" style of propaganda. If he was such a good guy in real life that makes it all the worse IMO.

I think you're giving him way too much credit.

A husband and father is dead at the very young age of 43. I find it totally reprehensible to dance on someone's grave, regardless of what you thought of him, or, even worse, what you thought of his persona without ever having met him.

I feel terrible for his wife and for his kids, and for him, since he will miss out on the joy of watching them grow up and raising them.

A husband and father is dead at the very young age of 43. I find it totally reprehensible to dance on someone's grave, regardless of what you thought of him, or, even worse, what you thought of his persona without ever having met him.

I feel terrible for his wife and for his kids, and for him, since he will miss out on the joy of watching them grow up and raising them.

There is a difference between dancing on someone's grave and having an honest discussion about their life and work.