Quotes that move you, soothe you, groove you

Ok I'm nominating that one for Worst Topic Title 2012. Beat you all to it. So corny! :yes

But anyway, share some favorite quotes. Old or new, doesn't matter except that you like them. I like this one a lot.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

- Mark Twain

This is the English translation of a French song, doesn't do justice to the original lyrics, but here's the translation:

And you will see all those who we thought dead

Regain their breath and life in the flesh of my voice

Until the end of the worlds

In the beginning the Universe was created.

This has made a lot of people very angry and

has been widely regarded as a bad move.

-Douglas Adams

:lol I love that!

This is the English translation of a French song, doesn't do justice to the original lyrics, but here's the translation:

And you will see all those who we thought dead

Regain their breath and life in the flesh of my voice

Until the end of the worlds

Ah, that's beautiful!

Follow your heart but take your head with you.

Not sure who coined this. It was on my Facebook wall recently.

Hahaha. Reminds me of:

"Never get so open-minded that your brains fall out."

Not sure who said that either. These are excellent rules to live by!

"Rivers, ponds, lakes and streams - they all have different names, but they all contain water. Just as all religions contain truths."

-Muhammad Ali

"A genius is the one most like himself."

-Thelonious Monk

"The morning is wiser than the night."

-Russian proverb

And, finally...

"It's a fine line between clever and stupid"

-David St. Hubbins

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

- Robert A. Heinlein

The America of my time line is a laboratory example of what can happen to democracies, what has eventually happened to all perfect democracies throughout all histories. A perfect democracy, a ‘warm body’ democracy in which every adult may vote and all votes count equally, has no internal feedback for self-correction. It depends solely on the wisdom and self-restraint of citizens… which is opposed by the folly and lack of self-restraint of other citizens. What is supposed to happen in a democracy is that each sovereign citizen will always vote in the public interest for the safety and welfare of all. But what does happen is that he votes his own self-interest as he sees it… which for the majority translates as ‘Bread and Circuses.’

‘Bread and Circuses’ is the cancer of democracy, the fatal disease for which there is no cure. Democracy often works beautifully at first. But once a state extends the franchise to every warm body, be he producer or parasite, that day marks the beginning of the end of the state. For when the plebs discover that they can vote themselves bread and circuses without limit and that the productive members of the body politic cannot stop them, they will do so, until the state bleeds to death, or in its weakened condition the state succumbs to an invader—the barbarians enter Rome.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Ok I'm nominating that one for Worst Topic Title 2012. Beat you all to it. So corny! :yes

It's still early in the year, you know. B)

This one is a bitter pill to swallow when you first realize you don't have control over all that much in your life, but it's so true:

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we’ve planned...so as to have the life that is waiting for us. The old skin has to be shed before the new one can come."

Joseph Campbell

God grant me the serenity

to accept the things I cannot change;

courage to change the things I can;

and wisdom to know the difference.

In spite of being an agnostic who likes her drink, I find profound comfort in the Serenity Prayer.

This is not so much religious as just plain wise. Yeah, I've always liked this, too.

Some time ago now a friend gave me a book on aphorisms: We Are What We Think by James Geary and I've enjoyed returning to it sporadically over the years.

The difference between a rut and a grave is the depth.

and

Doubt not. You gather friends around you as a hair clasp gathers the hair.