Wilco — 7/29/12, Essex Junction, VT (Midway Lawn at Champlain Valley Exposition)

Incredible night of music... you could really see that the band was enjoying themselves and they were very appreciative towards the audience... more so than usual in my experience. Jeff's sister was there and he told some funny stories about her dressing him up as a girl when he was young... and that is why he is so feminine. It was funny.

At the end of the show, Jeff said "well, we did it... that's a rock n roll show" and man was he right. They rocked. A great show for those of us lucky enough to be there... small crowd... maybe 1,000 people if that.

I'm sure this is out of order and bbop will correct me, but from what I remember

Dawned on Me

War on War

I Might

At Last That's What You Said

Spiders (acoustic)

Sunken Treasure

Impossible Germany

Born Alone

Handshake Drugs

Too Far Apart

Hell Is Chrome

Jesus, Etc

Whole Love

Heavy Metal Drummer

I'm The Man Who Loves You

Shot in the Arm

I'm Always in Love

Art of Almost

Via Chicago

Can't Stand It

Monday

Outta Site

Late Greats

I know I'm missing some and the order is off, but this is the best of my memory...

Very very good rock and roll show!

The small crowd and perfect weather made for a fantastic show! We stood right in front of Pat, second row of standers-up behind the barricade, and the band seemed really happy and energized throughout the show.

I enjoyed it when someone right behind me yelled out that they're naming their baby "Tweedy" and Jeff implored them on behalf of the child not to do it (ha!) The sound was really good and the playlist was rocking. They played both of my requests, and just about every big flat-out rocker in their catalog, which was ideal for a gorgeous summer night.

Met lots of other nice Wilco fans, quite a few of whom were following them around the East coast. Pat and Nels sat in on probably half of the tunes played by the Lee Ranaldo band, who were quite good, and their style fit nicely with Wilco's.

Loved every moment.

I also enjoyed the fact that they played all the way up until the curfew literally hitting the last note of Late Greats at 10:30 on the dot. Someone needs to post the correct setlist, this one is close, but my memory is much fuzzier than heart's.

This is what was posted on the Wilco Facebook page:

Dawned On Me

War on War

I Might

At Least That's What You Said

Sunken Treasure

Spiders (Kidsmoke)

Impossible Germany

Born Alone

Hell is Chrome

Handshake Drugs

Too Far Apart

Jesus, Etc.

Hate It Here

Whole Love

Always In Love

Heavy Metal Drummer

I'm the Man Who Loves You

Shot in the Arm

Art of Almost

Via Chicago

Can’t Stand It

Box Full of Letters

Monday

Outta Site (Outtamind)

A great show in an odd venue. Basically a stage plunked down at a fairground. The beer corral off to the side was packed, especially during Lee Renaldo. It did seem like a small crowd at the start of Wilco's set, but about 2/3 of the way through, the place was packed. I don't know where all the people came from. Maybe the corral was empty by that point.

Too Far Apart, Via Chicago, Monday, and Late Greats were highlights for me. I am loving Nels' early solo in Impossible Germany (before his solo during Jeff/Pat's twin guitar attack). This first solo seems to be a little extended now. The guy is on fire. That said, Jeff played more lead tonight than I had seen in the two other shows I saw on this leg. That is a good thing.

Another rock show in the books!

Now that we're back, I can finally post this setlist that wasn't completely accurate on the Wilco Facebook page... :glare

This was a pretty stellar show in my book, perhaps owing to the great sound where my compatriots and I were standing. Often when you're off to a side, either in front of Nels or Pat, you get too much of their guitar amp at the expense of the overall mix but I have to say that it sounded great in front of Nels. He was loud and clear, yet not too overpowering. Sound was excellent, I thought, for the Lee Ranaldo Band's opening set as well.

As for Wilco's set, Jeff's sister was in attendance (as she often is at Vermont shows) and he had plenty of comments about her, both humorous and sincere. So that provided a lot of the banter for the show, which went exactly two hours with a pretty tight 10:30 p.m. curfew.

Anyway, here was the complete (correct) setlist as played:

Dawned On Me

War On War

I Might

At Least That's What You Said

Sunken Treasure (electric arrangement; no harmonica)

Spiders (Kidsmoke) (acoustic arrangement)

Impossible Germany

Born Alone

Hell Is Chrome

Handshake Drugs

Too Far Apart

Jesus, etc.

Hate It Here

Whole Love

I'm Always In Love (started and restarted twice)

Heavy Metal Drummer>

I'm The Man Who Loves You

A Shot in the Arm

------------------------------

Art Of Almost

Via Chicago

Can't Stand It

Monday>

Outtasite (Outta Mind)

The Late Greats