Best American Bands Ever poll

1. The band must be a true band: a GROUP of musicians that created a body of work, not a backing band for a solo artist. Hence, The Supremes (who were a successful group before they were rechristened “Diana Ross & The Supremes”) are eligible; any band with an “ampersand” that was really a backing band for a solo artist (Prince & The Revolution, for instance) was largely considered ineligible. (You’ll recall that Bruce Springsteen famously petitioned the Rock Hall of Fame that he should enter the Hall as a solo artist, independent of the E Street band, who he hoped would be considered later on their merits separately.)

Any list that has the RHCP that high loses all credibility.

RHCP are the Grand Funk of that generation.

Any list that has the RHCP that high loses all credibility.

RHCP are the Grand Funk of that generation.

How old were you in the mid-80's when they first hit the scene?

I am no fan of what the Chilis have become, but going back and listening to the debut, or Freaky Styley, all the way through Mother's Milk, NOBODY sounded like those guys did. Certainly nobody on the radio. That was a goddamn good band, regardless of what they've become or what they've helped wrought.

Again, I am no fan of these guys, currently. But in the mid-to-late 80's they were one of my favorite bands. Period. And looking back, I can still see why.

Why do so many "journalists" have to give these backhanded compliments?

Can't they just give these guys the respect they deserve without the bullshit commentary about college dudes, Dad rock, etc.

So boring already.

I'd swap out Red Hot Chili Peppers for Los Lobos.

Byrds should be higher.

CCR is #1.

The best part about the list is the explanation about discounting ampersand / backing bands, but then the single video sample they give for Pearl Jam is being Neil Young's backing band.

I'd swap out Red Hot Chili Peppers for Los Lobos.

Byrds should be higher.

These two things are true.

(Despite my defense of RHCP, Los Lobos deserve to be on there. Top 5, even.)

I would also find space for Yo La Tengo.

More and more, day by day, I hate the lazy journalism of our time...polls. Whether I agree with the choices or not, I am cognizant of the fact that it's very easy to manipulate facts to justify the opinion of the poll creator(s).