Moving from MKE to CHI...

...with so many of you in Chicago, I thought I should prod the Wilco/Chicago community for ideas/tips/opportunities. I will be working downtown on Michigan Ave., living with a currently unemployed girlfriend and our lab, Loxi. Is it possible to get by or find a place in the $1000-1200 a month range?

Any comments or assistance is welcome.

Thanks...

"MKE" = Milwaukee?

I don't know that I've seen that before.

You MIGHT be able to find a 1-br. place for $1000-$1200 in Rogers Park. Or maybe in West Ravenswood (west of Western Ave.) if you look hard enough.

Both neighborhoods are close to El stops, which are excellent for getting downtown every day.

Although it has been 13 years since I've lived in the City, so...

It's going to be tough. We made the same move (MKE to CHI) in June 2011. IIRC, That price range is right in the median for studios and 1BRs, if you want to be close to downtown. Of course, the further away from downtown you go, or the closer to sketchier neighborhoods you go, the lower the rent.

Having a large dog will make it more challenging for you, as you doubtlessly already know.

Check craiglist daily.

You can get a pretty decent 1 bedroom place in that range. Not in the neighborhood that you'll be working in. My wife and I just moved out of a 2 bedroom place in Logan Square that we paid $1230/month for, and that was to live right on the boulevard -- there were definitely some less expensive places in that neighborhood as well. Now we're in Uptown paying a little more for a nicer 2 bedroom place. There are some so-so neighborhoods where you could find a 2 bedroom place in your price range, and many areas where you could find a really nice 1 bedroom place for that. So long as you're close to a train or an express bus, you'll be able to get downtown for work pretty easily.

Thanks for the insight...we are finding some places but setting up walk-through's is the most irritating part. It's hard to get to CHI at a reasonable hour and waiting until the weekend sees apartments slipping from our grasp...but, we'll find something. If you catch wind of anything, feel free to drop a PM and let me know. I would be ever so grateful.

Of course you won't make as much money and there's a bit of a meth problem.

Makes me want to quit my new job and head to KY...

You might want to look completely out of the hip neighborhoods (that includes Wicker Park, Bucktown, Logan Square, Lincoln Square, or even Ravenswood, etc.) and head up to The RP or Uptown or better yet look further out Northwest on the blue line. There are nice places all the way out to and including Jefferson Park. You could try the not quite yet gentrified areas of the southwest side including Pilsen and Bridgeport too. There are plenty of nice, but somewhat boring but cheaper neighborhoods along the orange line between downtown and Midway Airport. You might also look near southside between downtown and Chinatown. I don't know what prices are there, but there seem to be some cool lofts along the north south streets.

If you have some urban pioneer spirit, Chicago is a big place with lots of possibilities. Since you are from Milwaukee, alot of the non-hip neighborhoods are like your town, so you know the drill, except that Spanish is probably a good skill in some of the neighborhoods.

I am probably the wrong person to comment on rentals since I own a house in the city, but my understanding is that rentals are pretty tight these days.

LouieB

• 1 month later...

If any of you have been waiting with bated breath to discover the results of my apartment search and to which Chicago-land area I now call home, relief is here: I now live in Andersonville. A bit of a trek to my office downtown, but the time on the EL and on my feet allows ample time for reflection and music ingestion. That is all...

Welcome to town.

And yeah, Andersonville has become a pretty hopping 'hood in the last 15 years or so; lots of good restaurants and bars and stuff.

Nice.

Thanks for the welcome. I'm working on getting out an about in the area; gives me plenty of work to do.

Good decision to live in Andersonville. Great place. Not so far from downtown. This is Chicago, it takes some time to get to work. Taking the Red Line??

LouieB

Thanks...and yes, Red Line all the way. It works out well, all total (from home to train > train to work) is about 20 minutes.

Thanks again all.