The recording of A Ghost Is Born

Was casually browsing through gearslutz as i always do, when i came across a thread discussing the sound of A ghost is Born. A couple of posts in, Chris Shaw (AGIB Engineer) posts a boat load of info and pictures about the actual process of recording which i thought was really cool, not sure if anybody else on here ever stumbled into it. Chris' first post is #16, and then he posts pictures in #27 of their recording setup.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/87450-wilco-sound.html

That was really awesome. I love how AGIB sounds - it's so warm. I find it really comforting to listen to, but I know others who find it too intense (but I don't get that vibe from it).

There's a lot to be said for everyone playing in a room at once and not processing the hell out of everything. Also, interesting to note that they didn't seem too hung up on bleed between instruments - which makes sense when you think about it. That's how bands sound in real life.

Another factoid of note was that Tweedy used an SM7 - which is a dynamic mic, not a condenser.

Most educational!

this is so cool. thanks.

i'm with y'all. AGIB is my favorite Wilco album. part of that is the production. so, so warm and comforting while validating the human condition. jim o'rouke's touch is part of this as is the zeitgeist of the time. i think i remember jeff saying that he thought this was their best sounding album as it captures the warm analog sound of 70s albums. unfortunately, with W(TA) and TWL the band has gotten in to some processing and hot mastering that is making those albums less easy to listen to for me. for example, Wilco the song sounds totally brick-walled to me.

That was a mother load for me. There is a fair amount of gear geek stuff about making YHF, WTA, and TWL, but AGIB sessions seem to always be shrouded in mystery. Makes me itch to buy more neat stuff for my studio.

That's my favorite topic. I'm always digging around for articles about the recording process behind albums. Fascinating.

Interesting post on the Austin City Limits Gear Blog about Wilco's set up. For those of you who didn't catch that performance, it was exceptional. Recorded it last night and watched it today. For all this talk of the latptop era, the Bennett era, this era, that era -- I love 'em all -- these guys sure are one heck of a live band.

http://acltv.com/2012/09/14/gear-blog-wilco/

Interesting post on the Austin City Limits Gear Blog about Wilco's set up. For those of you who didn't catch that performance, it was exceptional. Recorded it last night and watched it today. For all this talk of the latptop era, the Bennett era, this era, that era -- I love 'em all -- these guys sure are one heck of a live band.

http://acltv.com/201...ear-blog-wilco/

Thanks! Nice find.

Another factoid of note was that Tweedy used an SM7 - which is a dynamic mic, not a condenser.

Most educational!

From everything i've read, this has long been Tweedy's mic of choice. You can see him singing into it multiple times in I Am Trying To Break Your Heart, and i remember reading an interview with their engineer from Wilco (The Album) that talked about gear, specifically noting how Jeff really likes to do vocals on the SM7. It's probably a more ideal mic especially for these more "live" recordings, has better sound rejection since the vocal takes are with the rest of the band in the same room.

From everything i've read, this has long been Tweedy's mic of choice. You can see him singing into it multiple times in I Am Trying To Break Your Heart, and i remember reading an interview with their engineer from Wilco (The Album) that talked about gear, specifically noting how Jeff really likes to do vocals on the SM7. It's probably a more ideal mic especially for these more "live" recordings, has better sound rejection since the vocal takes are with the rest of the band in the same room.

It's also just a fantastic mic, hands down. They have been used for studio recordings of tons of great singers. People are always singing their praises over at the Tapeop Messageboard I frequent. I have cut lead vocals with singers on those things and people will ask what the secret weapon was. Oh you know, this obscure expensive $350 microphone that broadcasters use everywhere. Awesome stuff.

http://acltv.com/201...ear-blog-wilco/

Just play straight into an amp man! Jeez, it wouldn't sound any different...maybe even better. :guitar