Dan murphy leaves Soul Asylum

Murphy may not have been their most-prolific writer, but he did write the best song that the band ever recorded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IAF5Q6S79I

One of the few songs that I can believe would actually change somebody's life. Especially in 1988.

Love that half-time breakdown.

ummm...don't want to sound snarky, but I didn't even know they were still together.

I saw them a bunch of times in the late 1980s and throught they were OK. Didn't love 'em but didn't hate them either. I saw them again in 1991 or 1992 and thought they were a band on their last gasps. I remember predicting that they would break up within six months. Instead, six months later Grave Dancer's Union came out and suddently they were on SNL and Pirner was dating Winona Ryder. Shows what a good judge I am ...

Bummed out too, though not terribly surprised. Not surrpised there isn't much love for them on this board either. SA have been flying under everyone's radars the last decade or so, but they have been productive - playing 25-30 shows a year, and introducing new tunes to the setlist even though album releases were few and far between. The Silver Lining (2006) was great. This year's album Delayed Reaction was so-so, 3 great tunes, some old nuggets, and a few I could do without. I guess Dan felt he'd accomplished all he could with them after 30 years.

In a one month span this summer I saw Wilco 4 times and SA three times. All were great shows, but if I had to pick one band or the other on any given night, it would be SA.

Bummed out too, though not terribly surprised. Not surrpised there isn't much love for them on this board either. SA have been flying under everyone's radars the last decade or so, but they have been productive - playing 25-30 shows a year, and introducing new tunes to the setlist even though album releases were few and far between. The Silver Lining (2006) was great. This year's album Delayed Reaction was so-so, 3 great tunes, some old nuggets, and a few I could do without. I guess Dan felt he'd accomplished all he could with them after 30 years.

In a one month span this summer I saw Wilco 4 times and SA three times. All were great shows, but if I had to pick one band or the other on any given night, it would be SA.

Productive...sounds like semi-retirement.