Bill Murray appreciation thread

I remember back when Harry Caray was recovering from an illness (heart attack? I don't recall right now) WGN had "guest announcers" for Cubs games until he returned. When Bill stepped into the booth one day and did the game it was the funniest shit I've ever heard at a baseball game. I WISH I would've taped that one.

He did a fine job as HST in "Where The Buffalo Roam" as well.

I remember back when Harry Caray was recovering from an illness (heart attack? I don't recall right now) WGN had "guest announcers" for Cubs games until he returned. When Bill stepped into the booth one day and did the game it was the funniest shit I've ever heard at a baseball game. I WISH I would've taped that one.

He did a fine job as HST in "Where The Buffalo Roam" as well.

^ Thanks for posting that, man! That's only 9 minutes but you get the idea. GOOD stuff.

I recently watched Bill on Conan O'Brien pushing The Man Who Knew Too Little. It's a typically great appearance, but what really stood out is at clip time, Conan asks if he wants to set it up for the audience, and Bill goes into a 50 second-long recap of the whole movie leading up to the scene about to be shown. And it didn't even come across as a bit. Totally awesome.

Not just an amazing comedic talent and improviser, but the guy has dramatic acting chops as well. The brilliant thing is that he seems to realize that there really isn't much difference between comedy and drama... just the phrasing or a look. He's mastered the subtleties of both.

He's the anti-Robin Williams.

(Although Robin can be pretty great sometimes, too.)

"Ive noticed they cut off beer here after the 8th inning and I think that's a great rule, I really do. Im not going on a soapbox here Steve and I hope you don't think I am but anybody who can't get drunk before the 8th inning doesn't belong to be here."

That's good stuff!

• 5 months later...

Watched Moonrise Kingdom a couple of nights ago - his performance wasn't anything to write home about - the movie overall was flat and dull.

Also watched Groundhog Day over the weekend - still great. My sister-in-law was watching it with me and she said didn't like Bill Murray - I shunned her the rest of the weekend.