Bill Murray appreciation thread

I keep discovering how much improvising he did in the 70's and 80's flicks I love so much. The more I read and find out about this guy the deeper my appreciation becomes. Not to mention, I recently found out that the sample used by the Beastie Boys on "Mark On The Bus" was a National Lampoons radio clip of none other than Bill Fucking Murray. "you should sleep late man, its much easier on your constitution" (Thanks Stooka)

I think he's a living legend and I'm sure I can there are some people on here that can remind me of some cool shit and teach me some more about this dude.

Here's to you Mr. Murray

2497_fca8.jpeg

I think Bill Murray shaped my young mind into what I call "comedy" to this day. That deadpan delivery, that dry quick wit, ... genius. 

And from what I read, a pretty cool dude, as well.

Bill Murray follows his muse.  Sometimes it leads to fame and popularity, sometimes it leads to beautiful art, sometimes it confounds us all.  It's his muse, we cannot question, just appreciate.

Also, my brother once observed that he was playing essentially the same role in Lost in Translation that he had played in Meatballs.  A jaded, but caring presence in the life of a lost, sad, and confused young person.  Brilliant!

The only Bill Murray film that I own on DVD is Groundhog Day. I bought it because I think it's like a time capsule of the nineties, and part of me is still living in that decade. When watching it the other day, I realised that Andie McDowell looks a lot like Elaine Benes.

Murray has had a great career.  It coudn't be better.  I got to see him once at Second City when I first got to Chicago in the early 70s.  He was funny back then too, a long time ago.

louieB

Also, my brother once observed that he was playing essentially the same role in Lost in Translation that he had played in Meatballs.  A jaded, but caring presence in the life of a lost, sad, and confused young person.  Brilliant!

Meatballs is still on my top 10 movies list!  And, you folks (all gentlemen, I presume) have neglected to mention that Mr. Murray is a sexy beast -- so I'll say it. 

Meatballs is still on my top 10 movies list!  And, you folks (all gentlemen, I presume) have neglected to mention that Mr. Murray is a sexy beast -- so I'll say it. 

Jerry Seinfeld playing the femaie lead in Meatballs was a gutsy move for its time, eh?

I dunno, his date-rape like antics in Meatballs (and a few other of his flicks IIRC) sorta bothered me

Bill Murray has a couple of brothers and they spent a lot of time on the golf course growing up. I heard a rumor that he actually had a hot dog stand by the 18th hole at one golf course. Hahaha If I'm not mistaken Caddyshack was loosely based on the Murray brothers experiences on the courses growing up.

Love Bill Murray! To shine like he did in the presence of the other original members of SNL is really saying something! To continue to be a force over the last 30 years is even more impressive. He is easily one of the greatest improvisational performers of all time. Long Live King Murray!!