Peru: movies, literature, art, music, etc.

The college I work for has an international project, for which I'm on a committee that organizes cultural, artsy events. Every year is a different country/region, and this year it's Peru. One of my coworkers is friends with an artist from Peru now living in the Twin Cities who can do a short-term art workshop in our town later this year, so we're building our theme around that. In the past this project been open to the community, but for whatever reason it seems to be evolving to narrow in primarily on campus, which is fine. It's easier to manage that way, especially since our jobs are so busy anyway.

Anyone here know of anything from Peruvian culture? Movies? Music? Dance? Art/folk art? Photography? Architecture?

One of my coworkers suggested a collection of short stories by Daniel Alarcon titled War by Candlelight as an all-campus read, and what I've skimmed over so far looks really good.

Any ideas are appreciated. I always get such great recommendations from you guys, every year when I ask for ideas.

For music, check out Los Saicos - they had a somewhat publicized revival a few years back. I think there's a small thread on this site about them, IIRC. And David Byrne put out a nice Afro-Peruvian sampler album. Peruvian music is not all pan flutes. 

My mom is from Peru, but my knowledge of the culture is mostly limited to the cuisine. 

I went to Peru specifically to visit Machu Picchu. It was amazing! The food and archetecture in Cusco is amazing. In terms of food. Since to me food relates to culture here is what I noticed. I believe they said Peru has over 500 varieties of potatoes. They also love their corn and coffee. Pisco sours are the drink of choice. Not sure if this is what you are looking for but if you have any questions I'll be happy to answer

I went to Peru specifically to visit Machu Picchu. It was amazing! The food and archetecture in Cusco is amazing. In terms of food. Since to me food relates to culture here is what I noticed. I believe they said Peru has over 500 varieties of potatoes. They also love their corn and coffee. Pisco sours are the drink of choice. Not sure if this is what you are looking for but if you have any questions I'll be happy to answer

I was about to say all of this.  I had a very similar experience.  Their pre-colonial history is absolutely fascinating (if you're into that kind of thing).  Definitely had one of the two or three most sophisticated empires in the new world.  There are tons of great books on all of that.

Music-wise, other than the indigenous pan flute stuff that has been pretty heavily co-opted by the new age scene, there are a lot of cool cumbia groups down there.  I heard some great examples live, but haven't found any good albums.  Like a lot of South American musical products, I find the production ruins some potentially great songs/albums/artists. 

I haven't seen too many films from Peru, and I wouldn't highly recommend any of the few I've managed to catch.  Still, these three all contain interesting insights into Peruvian culture: Madeinusa (2006); Days of Santiago (2004); and October (2010).  All three are provocative and rather bleak, so I'm not sure they will fit your program needs.

Of note is Werner Herzog's Aguirre, the Wrath of God, an adventure story about madness that was filmed in the Peruvian rainforest.  Herzog also made Fitzcarraldo, about a famous Peruvian rubber baron.  Both of them rank among the greatest movies I've ever seen, so there's that.  (There's also Burden of Dreams, a terrific documentary about the making of Fitzcarraldo.)

Not sure about anything from their culture, but I do recommend this photography book by Robert Frank!

That book looks awesome! Sometime it's tough getting community college freshman to want to read but visuals almost always get them talking. I'm a believer in expanding visual literacy, another way to analyze and critique.

For music, check out Los Saicos - they had a somewhat publicized revival a few years back. I think there's a small thread on this site about them, IIRC. And David Byrne put out a nice Afro-Peruvian sampler album. Peruvian music is not all pan flutes. 

My mom is from Peru, but my knowledge of the culture is mostly limited to the cuisine. 

Cusine is an art! What little I know about Peruvian food sounds amazing (500 potatoes?! I feel like my local grocery stores are so limited), and there are some wonderful varieties of Peruvian coffee. And I will have to check out the architecture. Portuguese or Spanish influences, I'm guessing?

I will have to check out that David Byrne album and Los Saicos too. Cumbia too. And maybe pan flute if it is that common there. :) Who was the big deal pan flute guy that used to be on TV commercials selling an album in the 1980s or '90s? He had one name, I think. Wonder if he was Peruvian?

I haven't seen too many films from Peru, and I wouldn't highly recommend any of the few I've managed to catch.  Still, these three all contain interesting insights into Peruvian culture: Madeinusa (2006); Days of Santiago (2004); and October (2010).  All three are provocative and rather bleak, so I'm not sure they will fit your program needs.

Of note is Werner Herzog's Aguirre, the Wrath of God, an adventure story about madness that was filmed in the Peruvian rainforest.  Herzog also made Fitzcarraldo, about a famous Peruvian rubber baron.  Both of them rank among the greatest movies I've ever seen, so there's that.  (There's also Burden of Dreams, a terrific documentary about the making of Fitzcarraldo.)

I checked those out on imdb.com and all look really good, especially Days of Santiago and Aguirre--interesting material to spark discussion in many ways.

Thanks for all these titles and ideas, everyone!

That book looks awesome! Sometime it's tough getting community college freshman to want to read but visuals almost always get them talking. I'm a believer in expanding visual literacy, another way to analyze and critique.

Cusine is an art! What little I know about Peruvian food sounds amazing (500 potatoes?! I feel like my local grocery stores are so limited), and there are some wonderful varieties of Peruvian coffee. And I will have to check out the architecture. Portuguese or Spanish influences, I'm guessing?

I will have to check out that David Byrne album and Los Saicos too. Cumbia too. And maybe pan flute if it is that common there. :) Who was the big deal pan flute guy that used to be on TV commercials selling an album in the 1980s or '90s? He had one name, I think. Wonder if he was Peruvian?

Zamfir is definitely not Peruvian!

I was way off..should have paid better attention on my tour or the Inca Trail! 3800 Varieties!

The page below has some other useful Peruvian facts that may also help you!

http://www.limaeasy.com/peruvian-food-guide/typical-potatoes

Zamfir is definitely not Peruvian!

That's it, Zamfir! A quick google search reveals that he is indeed not Peruvian. Good idea to not go there...

Textiles might be a good thing for you to incorporate into your project.

Yes, great idea that fits into folk art and way of life.

Check out Sendero Luminoso when you have a moment.

Movie or book? I found a nonfiction book about it as a terrorist group in a quick online search.

• 2 weeks later...

Aguirre is one of my all time favorite movies.  That's all. Have also seen Fitzcarraldo and the documentary on the making of the movie.  All good.  This doesn't help anything, just saying.

LouieB