Maxwells in Hoboken closing in July

Yes, I just saw that.  I nearly cried.  There will never be any place like Maxwells. I think the first show I saw there was in 1985.  (Holy cow, nearly 30 years ago!)

It seems like all good music in the NY/NJ area has moved to Brooklyn...and that is just too far and too much hassle of a trek for me to make.  Ah well...I'll always have memories of Maxwells.  

Great shows I remember at Maxwells:

Multiple Feelies shows a million years ago...

Alex Chilton, several times.... sigh.... RIP beloved Alex...

NRBQ, several times....

Nick Lowe....

Most recently, the great Joseph Arthur....

I even remember the very first time I went to Maxwells...it wasn't even for a show, but I ran into members of REM there.  

Those were the days...

Husker Du..  the only show I ever *left* at Maxwells because it was too loud!  LOL

...discovering Yo La Tengo as everyone's opening act.

Many other very personal memories...I practically lived at that place every weekend for several years in the late 80's...

Maxwells, you will be missed more than you will ever know....

RIP Maxwell's. It is/was a great place, and I'm glad I trekked out there as much as I did when I lived in the area (and now also regret all the shows I had tickets for and didn't make it to for any number of reasons).

I read that the reason they're closing has to do with lack of parking space?

That and a change of Hoboken in general..both which are BS reasons in my mind...Hoboken changes every few years and the shows still sell out not sure what the issue is!? I think maybe cheaper rent in Jersey City etc but who really knows!

The outpouring of love for this place reminds me very much of when Lounge Ax closed here, in Chicago. Sounds like the same type of thing.

And, even though I have never been to Hoboken, it makes me sad that we are loosing another club like this.