Wilco at 96 kHz/24 bit

I probably would get A Ghost is Born and Summerteeth, if they decide to release those. 

I have a couple of HD releases, Phish's Junta and Allman Brothers - Brothers and Sisters Anniversary box - both sound excellent.

This whole hi-rez stuff only 'sounds better' if the master isn't compressed.  Sometimes HDtracks has a different master that is more dynamic allowing for better sound...less loud, more dynamic.  Other times, they get the same master as the CD which is usually compressed, loud etc.  At this point, you just have more resolution to the fatigue inducing loud master.  The kicker is that most folks can't hear the difference with hi-res.  Double blind tests have proved this.  We can, however, hear the difference with a more dynamic master.  So, HDtracks and all the hi-res BS that's being discussed these days (especially by Neil Young) is a bunch of marketing BS (for the most part).  Hi res is mute.  We need better masters.  Even Wilco records are mastered kind of loud, but they are produced and mixed so well that it doesn't have as big of an impact.

http://xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Well, bit rate and dynamic range are two different things.  While the Whole Love mastering isn't as gentle as A Ghost Is Born I certainly wouldn't call it a contender for the loudness wars.  They probably recorded it at 24bit/ 96khz which is an objectively better medium to hear it at.  

I suppose you're operating under the opinion that the 16-bit tracks sound "like shit", in which case you're probably right, the 24 bit version isn't going to make a huge difference.  I also agree with you that folks shouldn't shell out a bunch of extra money if they don't understand quite what they're getting; there are a lot of smoke and mirrors "audiophile" games that companies use to get more money (180 gram vinyl).

I guess I like how the record sounds, but I'm not reaching for my wallet to get the slightly better res version.

Right, but bitrate basically becomes a moot issue if the master is good too. Really no need to go above 320.

WTA is the loudest to my ears. Interestingly, all the albums tend to have low dynamic range, but they are produced so well, it doesn't seem to matter. Kind of like the 70s albums.

For my money "At Least That's What You Said" is just about the boldest production statement, in terms of going against the grain of blown-out, loud masters.  It's tough to find any major label rock or pop music from the last 20 years that allows for a passage that quiet.

For my money "At Least That's What You Said" is just about the boldest production statement, in terms of going against the grain of blown-out, loud masters.  It's tough to find any major label rock or pop music from the last 20 years that allows for a passage that quiet.

Yeah, I was terrified my CD was warped the first time I listened to Ghost because it was so quiet. Then I almost gave myself tinnitus by having it cranked so loud when the guitars kicked in. 

Yeah, I was terrified my CD was warped the first time I listened to Ghost because it was so quiet. Then I almost gave myself tinnitus by having it cranked so loud when the guitars kicked in. 

:lol 

I listened to the tracks on that site, and I couldn't tell a difference between them and what's currently in my itunes... maybe I'm not listening right? 

A while back, I downloaded a 96/24 rip of YHF from vinyl that someone had done and had converted into an ISO file in a 5.1 format.

Can't vouch for the quality of the software or equipment that was used to create the file.

I burned it to a DVD and finally got around to listening to it last Friday. 

I don't know what all the conversions this individual did had as an effect on the sound, but hey, it was free.

I have some fairly decent audio equipment and would say that what I heard was interesting.

There was a good separation of vocals to the center channel and I was able to hear instruments that I have never felt I have heard on the album, but it seem to come at a cost of other instruments.

For example, I heard acoustic guitars on Kamera much more clearly and fully, but the keyboards and xlyphone (?) on the song seem to disappear.

So, I don't really know if this is a function of being a rip from vinyl, 96/24, or just the psuedo 5.1 mix that was created.

It makes me wonder if 96 Khz/24 bit changes the way a record producer (and or mixer) meant for an album to sound like, but I suspect it was the mix instead.

It made for interesting evening of listening.

:lol

I listened to the tracks on that site, and I couldn't tell a difference between them and what's currently in my itunes... maybe I'm not listening right? 

Don't even worry about it!   :wave As far as I'm concerned, if the music moves me, I'll listen to a shitty tape of a tape.  All this other stuff only seems to matter when the music really isn't that great in the first place. :stunned