ACL 2013.10.05

I wasn't there, but saw this post on the Austin Chronicle blog. Doesn't provide much in the way of a setlist, but sounds like it probably was a fairly "standard" set...

Sounds like the crowd didn't help either.

With no new album to promote, Wilco had free reign over its ACL Fest set-list. In fact, the famed Chicago ensemble covered a lot of territory over the course of 60 minutes, from bubbling space rock to alt.country and melodic pop of the finest kind.

Wilco spent part of the summer touring with Bob Dylan, and bandleader Jeff Tweedy has grown even closer to resembling Zimmy, with a scruffy beard, white hat, and dark glasses. Try as they might, however, the band never really caught fire.

In a live setting, musicians depend on the audience to be attentive and provide a certain amount of positive reinforcement that lifts everything to the next level. The large ACL assemblage at the Samsung stage seemed to be in tailgating mode. At one point, the chatter grew so loud, it was almost as if one of America’s great bands wasn’t even playing.

The opening riffs of “Impossible Germany” received a smattering of recognition, but the expansive, inspired rendition of that song never materialized. As always, a spacey version of “I Am Trying to Break Your Heart,” the breezy pop “Dawned On Me,” and the gradually intensifying “Shot in the Arm” were augmented by the guitar histrionics of Nels Cline. On the whole, the set fell short and one couldn’t help but walk away thinking Wilco wasn’t entirely to blame.

No setlist, but here's my take on the show:

First of all, Wilco deserved a closing slot. They should not have gone on before Kings of Leon. They're very popular in Austin and deserved better.

The sun was horrible. The band had to play into the hot, setting sun and it couldn't have been easy. They were all wearing shades and I'm sure it affected the show.

The volume was far too low. I sat with semi-fans very far back and they weren't engaged by the show. There were auxiliary speakers nearby, but apparently they were reserved for The Cure. People on their blankets were gabbing and the stages in the distance were almost as loud as Wilco. My friends left halfway through the set and it wasn't until I ventured forward that the volume was acceptable. I'd guess that 5,000 people saw Wilco last night and barely heard them.

No setlist, but here's my take on the show:

First of all, Wilco deserved a closing slot. They should not have gone on before Kings of Leon. They're very popular in Austin and deserved better.

The sun was horrible. The band had to play into the hot, setting sun and it couldn't have been easy. They were all wearing shades and I'm sure it affected the show.

The volume was far too low. I sat with semi-fans very far back and they weren't engaged by the show. There were auxiliary speakers nearby, but apparently they were reserved for The Cure. People on their blankets were gabbing and the stages in the distance were almost as loud as Wilco. My friends left halfway through the set and it wasn't until I ventured forward that the volume was acceptable. I'd guess that 5,000 people saw Wilco last night and barely heard them.

bummer.  hopefully it will be cooler next Saturday (supposed to be some rain--hopefully it will storm and the social set will socialize elsewhere).   I'm excited for Stubb's Friday night.

From Wilco's facebook -- 

I Am Trying to Break Your Heart
Art of Almost
Shouldn't Be Ashamed
Handshake Drugs
At My Window Sad and Lonely
Forget the Flowers
War On War
Impossible Germany
Born Alone
Heavy Metal Drummer
I'm the Man Who Loves You
Dawned On Me
A Shot in the Arm

I wonder if that's the same Strat Tweedy was rocking back during the Being There tour, as seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg6GOrJMRds

Wow good eye & nice recall. I remembered I'd seen him playing one at some point, but I couldn't remember where or when...

It's interesting that Stratocasters & Les Pauls rarely appear amidst Wilco's veritable guitar cornucopia

Nice to see too, since Stratocasters & Jazzmasters are my two all-time fave guitars...though, being a Fender guy, first & foremost, I can say that anyone who'd prefer Telecasters & Jaguars gets no arguments from me either. I think those 4 Fenders are the absolute foundation for me...I should also add that while I am a Fender guy, first & foremost, that it's also by a much thinner margin than ever these days...being that I love & appreciate Gibsons/Epiphones, Rickenbackers, Gretsches, & Danelectro/Jerry Jones plenty too...sure there's other great ones too (some of which I've played), but those are my fave raves...

I've seen Tweedy play a Les Paul a few times. I think it was on the tours supporting SBS and W(TA). I think I remember him playing one with a BIgsby tremolo unit on "Hate it Here." Nels occasionally pulls out the goldtop LP too - Duane Allman's old axe -  for IG. But they're clearly Tele/Jazzmaster guys when it comes to Fenders, and Tweedy seems to prefer SGs when in Gibson mode.