40 Years ago today..Wild, Innocent and E Street Shuffle was released

Wow I was a mere 20 something year old and read about it in People or some such magazine and ran out and bought it. I don't know if there was ever an album I listened to as much.

LouieB

I was negative 7 :twitchsmile I still listen to it often...prob my second fav Springsteen album.

There are certain moments after which NOTHING was ever the same...hearing this was one.

One of my peak concert experiences was seeing Bruce at a small, 2500-seat concert hall in Norfolk, VA, just before Born to Run was released, on August 2, 1975. (I had to look it up.) I was vaguely familiar with Greetings from Asbury Park and Wild/Innocent, and I had heard there was a big upcoming album, so I dragged my sister to the show at Chrysler Hall. This is the kind of venue that generally hosts symphonies and Broadway shows--fancy seats, mahogany, chandeliers, etc. We went in with no particular expectations, but we were of course totally blown away. Nobody was in their seats from the very start and we were able to rush the stage. This was Bruce back in his scrawny days before he got all pumped up. When he sang Rosalita he leapt into the audience, right into the arms of me and my sister! She grabbed his sweaty, skinny leg and I had him from behind, under his arms and around his shoulders. I remember locking eyes with my sister and thinking  "Holy shit, now what??"

It was an amazing experience and set the bar pretty high for concerts to come. I've seen Bruce many times since then but nothing compares to that concert. When I hear people now diss him for being too arena-rock, bombastic, whatever, I just remember the sheer energy and thrill of that first experience and think, man, you should have seen him then.

So VC board member "Holy Shit" is actually your sister?

Oddly enough, VC board member HolyShit was actually my roommate for the first year of Solid Sound! Along with our esteemed moderator Kidsmoke and her son Brennan. A cozy little group we were.

One of my peak concert experiences was seeing Bruce at a small, 2500-seat concert hall in Norfolk, VA, just before Born to Run was released, on August 2, 1975. (I had to look it up.) I was vaguely familiar with Greetings from Asbury Park and Wild/Innocent, and I had heard there was a big upcoming album, so I dragged my sister to the show at Chrysler Hall. This is the kind of venue that generally hosts symphonies and Broadway shows--fancy seats, mahogany, chandeliers, etc. We went in with no particular expectations, but we were of course totally blown away. Nobody was in their seats from the very start and we were able to rush the stage. This was Bruce back in his scrawny days before he got all pumped up. When he sang Rosalita he leapt into the audience, right into the arms of me and my sister! She grabbed his sweaty, skinny leg and I had him from behind, under his arms and around his shoulders. I remember locking eyes with my sister and thinking  "Holy shit, now what??"

It was an amazing experience and set the bar pretty high for concerts to come. I've seen Bruce many times since then but nothing compares to that concert. When I hear people now diss him for being too arena-rock, bombastic, whatever, I just remember the sheer energy and thrill of that first experience and think, man, you should have seen him then.

GREAT STORY!! :guitar