So I have 2000 or so CD's hundreds of Albums and until around the end of 2012 would always still buy the CD on new releases but then I started with Spotify and I love it.  I have not bought a CD in 6 months.

I have the app on I phone and it works with my car bluetooth and I am a happy camper.

For $10 a month I have access to most artists full catalogs...seems like a great deal.

Plus they just added Zeppelin, although I think I have heard those songs enough for a few lifetimes.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, that is interesting. I didn't know much about Spotify and  thought that is was basically a radio type of deal. Thanks for the information. I will look into it.

So I have 2000 or so CD's hundreds of Albums and until around the end of 2012 would always still buy the CD on new releases but then I started with Spotify and I love it.  I have not bought a CD in 6 months.

I have the app on I phone and it works with my car bluetooth and I am a happy camper.

For $10 a month I have access to most artists full catalogs...seems like a great deal.

precisely why it's totally horrible for the actual content creators.

hmm...should i pay $15 for a single CD, $10 for a single digital download, or $10 for access to more songs than i know what to do with?

I have found a lot of new music through Spotify.  I dig it.

such as?

from random recommendations from friends? Spotify itself doing the RIYL thing? or from other sources, which then you can listen to these bands via Spotify?

from random recommendations from friends? Spotify itself doing the RIYL thing? or from other sources, which then you can listen to these bands via Spotify?

on several occasions I've used the radio station feature, which suggests for me bands I'd supposedly like based on the band, album, etc. I picked as the radio station subject.  This lead me to The Shouting Matches, after which I bought both of their albums (mp3s) and saw them at ACL.  It's also a very efficient way to check out new albums, especially by artists whom I would probably never give a chance if I didn't have a (virtually) free way of trying them out.

I have added a lot of music to Spotify playlists that I'd never buy under other circumstances.  e.g. stuff I liked in high school or college that is fun to listen to on occasion but I'd not fork over the $$ to own.  I think my monthly fee is a good trade for that kind of stuff.

I don't use it all the time because too often I don't want to use up my data (I also often forget that I have it, because I'm old and I smoked way too much pot for way too long).

I wondered what in hell RIYL meant but then I thought, "Hell, boy, you live in the information age. Google that shit!".

So the content creators, that's the musicians, correct?, don't get much money from Spotify? Then I'd bet David Lowery is against it.

interesting you posted this today.  spotify is in the news.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57615238-93/spotify-sets-mobile-music-free-what-took-so-long/

now it's basically totally free on mobile devices as it has been on desktops.  

i actually cannot stand it.  it makes me nuts.  too much to choose from and i find myself constantly thinking of other stuff i want to listen to rather than just listening to an album.  for example, i decide i want to listen to some zeppelin, so i pull up an album.  2 minutes in i decide i absolutely must explore plant's solo catalog and before i know it i'm dicking around trying to hear outrider.  it's a nightmare of wasted time and effort as my time and enjoyment would've been better spent on just listening to houses of the holy.  

does this make sense?  as far as i'm concerned, the whole digital revolution has really fucked up listening to music, at least for me.  it used to be i had to really dig in and buy one or two albums i needed to hear and give them attention they deserved given the money i spent on them.  i know i can still do this on the web, but i miss physical product too.  at this point, i'm back to buying cds.  trying to focus on one or two a month.  this month it's DBT decoration day.  i just have a running list of stuff i might get into in the future rather than dick around on spotify.

I enjoy spotify. A nice way to test drive an artist and/or record to see if you want to purchase. Also, a great way to catch up on some back-catalogs. I recently plowed thru all of Calexico and Modest Mouse. Prompted me to purchase a MM LP. The system works! (kinda)

I dont think it is horible for the creators compared to the alternative for them....Youtube....illegal downloads...and such.  The service pays a much larger % to the creators than radio and I tunes (as a percentage of income).  Lowrey recently posted some of the calulations.  Also, the artist do not have to be on service if they dont want.  As a great Artis once said.....Please get out of the new one, If you can't lend your hand, For the times they are a-changin'.

http://thetrichordist.com/2013/06/24/my-song-got-played-on-pandora-1-million-times-and-all-i-got-was-16-89-less-than-what-i-make-from-a-single-t-shirt-sale/

As a great Artis once said.....Please get out of the new one, If you can't lend your hand, For the times they are a-changin'.

artis-gilmore.jpg

I dont think it is horible for the creators compared to the alternative for them....Youtube....illegal downloads...and such.  The service pays a much larger % to the creators than radio and I tunes (as a percentage of income).  

Damon Krukowski disagrees

http://pitchfork.com/features/articles/8993-the-cloud/

edit - i need to read some of these others:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/jul/29/spotify-vs-musicians-streaming-royalties

how is Spotify more offensive to artists than the ubiquitous pirating of music and video all over the internet?  I think it would take me about 10 seconds on the internet to find a free download of just about any piece of popular music I'd like to get my hands on.  Instead I check it out on Spotify and see if it's something I like.  I'm not seeing how dramatically horrible this is.

how is Spotify more offensive to artists than the ubiquitous pirating of music and video all over the internet?  I think it would take me about 10 seconds on the internet to find a free download of just about any piece of popular music I'd like to get my hands on.  Instead I check it out on Spotify and see if it's something I like.  I'm not seeing how dramatically horrible this is.

take a look at my post a few posts up.

But I have simply stopped looking to these business models to do anything for me financially as a musician. As for sharing our music without a business model of any kind, that's exactly how I got into this-- we called it punk rock. Which is why we are streaming all of our recordings, completely free, on the Bandcamp sites we set up for Galaxie 500 and Damon & Naomi. Enjoy.

I will hold my hand up say that I like to save money. Spotify sounds like a hell of a good way to save money. Would I prefer the musicians, er, excuse me, creators, were paid more? Yes. Will I likely sign up for Spotify? Yes.

take a look at my post a few posts up.

yeah, I did.

As for Spotify, since it is not considered radio, either of this world or any other, they have a different additional royalty to pay. Like any non-broadcast use of recordings, they require a license from the rights-holder  They negotiate this individually with each record label, at terms not made public. I'm happy to make ours public, however: It is the going "indie" rate of $0.005 per play. (Actually, when I do the math, that rate seems to truly pay out at $0.004611-- I hope someone got a bonus for saving the company four-hundredths of a cent on each stream!) We didn't negotiate this, exactly; for a band-owned label like ours, it's take it or leave it. We took it, which means for 5,960 plays of "Tugboat", Spotify theoretically owes our record label $29.80.

They chose to be on Spotify. 

I am no Luddite-- I am not smashing iPhones or sabotaging software. In fact, I subscribe to Spotify for $9.99 a month (the equivalent of 680,462 annual plays of "Tugboat") because I love music, and the access it gives me to music of all kinds is incredible.

and he subscribes to Spotify.

he does.

he's obviously relating two perspectives, which i already pointed out.

for the artist, it sucks. for the music listener, it's great.

They chose to be on Spotify.

not necessarily. it's not detailed in the article, but i recall hearing other stories where it's the label who works out an agreement w/ Spotify, for both content availability and payment rate, not the artists. they may have little to no say in the matter.

I use it to check out new artists. And for listening when I'm working from home and my hard drive is at the office.

But I've discovered a couple of things through recommendations that I doubt that I would have found on my own.

This being one of them:

https://play.spotify.com/album/3vljYoTzf9am5UQL3lzBhE

Also use it to listen to the artists that I think I should know more by, but am not willing to take the risk and drop the cash on their records just yet. So I use Spotify to check 'em out and see if I want to part with the change.

It was clear from my earlier post (when I literally posed the question) that I was asking about how Spotify is more offensive to artists than the ubiquitous pirating of music and video all over the internet.

If personal insults are the only feedback you have to offer that's fine, but they don't address the issue.