• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personal insults will not be tolerated. I hope that banter will. I like banter. I feel certain that many VCers enjoy banter. Unfortunately, it seems as though some members have difficulty identifying banter, feel personally attacked and take issue with what probably isn't an issue. Not any of the above, necessarily. Anyway, I could be wrong but I will work on being friendlier to all.

I agree with Artis Gilmore about the times a changin' re Spotify, file sharing and all of the other new fangled methods of trading cassettes. For David Lowery and others, it must feel like being a blacksmith watching Model T's roll off of the assembly line.  

(pro tip - move your lips while reading it this time)

I still don't see it.  I know Tinnitus a little.  I've even shared a beer with him on more than one occasion.  He is a sarcastic bastard, but he is certainly not mean-spirited.  I guess I'll file that comment under what Doug C is referring to as "banter."

Timely topic...

I'm currently in the second month of a two month "free trial" period that they gave me.  I like it a lot so far, mainly for the chance to check something out that I hear about.  I listen on my home stereo that's hooked up to an iTouch, so I need the mobile access.  I'm almost willing to pay the $10 a month for that, but I'm a tightwad and hate to do it.  I may check out the new free mobile deal and see if I can live with that.  I'm OK with some ads.  Just want to be able to check out an album from start to finish.  The desktop version is fine for me, but it's not hooked up to the stereo like the iTouch.  

Anyone using the free mobile version yet?  Like it?

I still use Pandora a lot.  I like the stations on Pandora better than Spotify so far if I just want music playing (rather than a specific album).

I still use Pandora a lot.  I like the stations on Pandora better than Spotify so far if I just want music playing (rather than a specific album).

I love Pandora for driving around. I still like the experience of listening to 'radio' while driving. Problem is: most radio stations suck. Pandora is like the perfect radio station.

At home, I love the desktop spotify so I can listen to full albums. Again, just what I am used to.

I have Spotify Premium. I use it at work and on the go. It's awesome to have the option to be like "oh i really wanna listen to...." and be able to track down almost everything. I still buy CDs regularly 

As a musician and someone who generally cares about people being able to make money off of their art this gave me a lot of perspective.

Not that Daft Punk needs the money nor is that the only way people are listening to this song... but only getting less than $10,000 for 100m plays is complete bull crap. And the fact that streaming services are the new thing scares the crap out of me. 

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/204385/daft-punks-get-lucky-surpasses-100m-spotify-listens-makes-only-9000/

Surely they must have made thousands of dollars after 100 million people listened to their hit song, right?

Wrong.

Daft Punk made $9,669.47...

it's difficult to take someone seriously who writes like this.

and then there's the truth that the author missed entirely (see the comments section):

100,000,000 * 0.00966947678815 = $966,947.68

which is the amount actually made

It was clear from my earlier post (when I literally posed the question) that I was asking about how Spotify is more offensive to artists than the ubiquitous pirating of music and video all over the internet.

If personal insults are the only feedback you have to offer that's fine, but they don't address the issue.

i'm sorry that you took it as a personal insult. 

and really surprised as well.

I suppose it's only a short matter of time before CD's are no longer even manufactured so I need to hop on the spotify train.  One problem I have is I only have so much digital bandwidth per month (that I share with daughters) which would be used up quickly if I were to start streaming music all the time.  Does everyone here that streams music have unlimited minutes or something?  I don't even really use my phone for music because of that. 

As somebody mentioned, I would also be worried about too much content.  I already have musical ADD and was really trying to focus on listening more times to fewer albums this year (Which actually is not going so well).  I also don't really understand the difference between Spotify and Rdio and which one I would prefer.

I've tried them all and found that Spotify had a better selection/larger catalog than Rdio. But that was a couple of years ago, so I have no idea what the difference would be today. And even though I have nearly unlimited bandwidth, the vast majority of my streaming occurs over wireless internet.

EDIT: Also, under the Premium plan, you are able to download music to your device and listen offline.

• 3 weeks later...

Malkmus on Spotify (btw, this is a great interview)

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/stephen-malkmus-on-why-everyone-wants-to-be-a-nineties-kid-20140103#ixzz2pNDPKigb

You're anti-Spotify, then?
Definitely. I think it sucks. That doesn't mean my music isn't on there, though. I'm against a lot of things that I do in life, and I still do them, so there's a lot of self-deception in all our lives. At least in the life of an unprincipled musician.

Spotify's recommendations for me, so far, have been pretty damn good.

I've only heeded a couple of them, but both have been very, very satisfying. This is what is suggested for me today:

Vashti Bunyan - Just Another Diamond Day:

http://play.spotify.com/album/6BjFznpsyrxCFMpp3hzlD2

Very pleased with that aspect of the service so far.

Oh, I was wondering how the artists fare through spotfy but have been too busy/lazy to do any research:/

I've had the premium for about six months and love the aspect of being able to search through a back catalogue so easily, and I like reading the bios too.

I've used the discover a lot and similar artist or song stations as well as made some playlists available offline, the one feature I miss is being able to start a discover radio station, I would listen to a lot more of the recommendations if it would keep going without having to select each one.

I don't think I've been getting maximum value lately though since I get obsessed with one album and listen to it exclusively over and over, then  I need to just go buy the CD,

M Wards Transfiguration of Vincent, so good!

Oh, I was wondering how the artists fare through spotfy but have been too busy/lazy to do any research:/

I've had the premium for about six months and love the aspect of being able to search through a back catalogue so easily, and I like reading the bios too.

I've used the discover a lot and similar artist or song stations as well as made some playlists available offline, the one feature I miss is being able to start a discover radio station, I would listen to a lot more of the recommendations if it would keep going without having to select each one.

I don't think I've been getting maximum value lately though since I get obsessed with one album and listen to it exclusively over and over, then  I need to just go buy the CD,

M Wards Transfiguration of Vincent, so good!

I think Spotify does create and run a discover radio station. Or something just like it. For instance I read your post about M. Ward's Transfiguration of Vincent. I looked it up and it's been playing all these perfect songs by bands I've mostly never heard of but which sound great to me. I really did like that first cut off the M. Ward album--I must go back and listen to the whole album some other time, Right now though this radio station is irresistible.

I'll be honest. It's been a rough week at work so I came home, had a little dinner and took a few bong hits. That, and this Spotify station, was the nicest thing to happen this week.)  :mellow  

I think Spotify does create and run a discover radio station. Or something just like it. For instance I read your post about M. Ward's Transfiguration of Vincent. I looked it up and it's been playing all these perfect songs by bands I've mostly never heard of but which sound great to me. I really did like that first cut off the M. Ward album--I must go back and listen to the whole album some other time, Right now though this radio station is irresistible.

I'll be honest. It's been a rough week at work so I came home, had a little dinner and took a few bong hits. That, and this Spotify station, was the nicest thing to happen this week.)  :mellow  

Nice, glad you're enjoying:)

I've probably played the same station from album, and station from artist or specific song, (Undertaker!). Which is great and when it plays a song I really love/ unknown artist I save it to my 'saved from radio' playlist to look them up later as well.

What I mean though was from the 'discover' feed where spotify offers songs and artists based on what I've listened to, as far as I can tell if I click any it just plays the one song then stops which is a pain to go back and clicky another instead of just playing through the list for me.

I just realized it really is kinda sad how lazy  this makes me, now I just want all the beautiful music spoon fed to me without lifting a finger !

• 2 months later...