I went on a 10cc binge awhile back, collecting just about everything they ever did. I have to admit I was a little disappointed that I didn't find any deep cuts equalling I'm Not In Love or The Things We Do For Love, but there are some very interesting songs in their back catalogue: Feel the Benefit, Art for Art's Sake, and Life Is A Minestrone come to mind.

At the time I was plowing through their catalogue, I was also doing much the same thing with Caravan, and they kind of lost out to Caravan in the Battle of the Bands that was going on in my car. I know, a totally unfair apples-and-oranges comparison, but that's kinda how it went. :lol

"Rubber Bullets" is one of those songs that I do think stands up next to the big hits in the way that you were looking for, I think. No?

Yep. Dreadlock Holiday.

Ah yeah....couldnt remember. I do recall hearing 10cc, a lot, growing up in the 70s

• 2 weeks later...
I had no idea about all the hits that Graham Gouldman wrote for others BEFORE 10cc:

Also:

and

Admiration and fandom growing exponentially.

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed. There was also the Godley & Creme offshoot who had a few hits in the UK in the early 80s and also produced videos for others. I found out today that 10cc are playing an outdoor show at our local outdoor swimming pool in the summer, which is quite strange. No idea which members play under that name now. I seem to remember they lost a lot of money trying to develop a guitar/synth device back in the day.

• 1 year later...

Enjoyed a 10cc biography on BBC last week. A forgotten fav from way back. Someone has made it available on YT:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HdoocAtdSQ

All four as talking heads, and nice to see the two pairs reconciled and talking fondly of each other. Interesting segment on the construction/recording of I'm Not In Love. Massively overplayed at the time, but when I hear it infrequently now it's still something that just stops you in your tracks. The "Big boys don't cry" lady was also tracked down :-) Made me realise how much I miss the innovation of their songwriting e.g. "The Dean and I" in addition to some of those songs mentioned above.

I was watching the 10cc doc the other week. Started it too late though and fell asleep. Hopefully I'll get back to it this week.

I saw about that doc. I wonder if and when it's going to be broadcast in the States?

Anyone know?

• 4 months later...

My favorite 10cc song is "Feel the Benefit." The best Beatles song ever written that they didn't write, I like to say. The guitars at the end are something else. First heard it while having a few tokes at a friends house in 1977 I believe. After the song was over, we immediately played it again. And again.  Listening to it right now and as soon as it's done, I'll listen again. The entire album is pretty good, but this stands out.