Punk/ Pop Punk/ Power Pop

Cloud Nothings- they tend to have more aggro albums overall (in a way that I enjoy) but they've put one or two poppy gems on their last two records that are total, standout, mixtape songs to me.

Jawbreaker- best pop punk band ever for my money.  Of course like any great band when you think about it, they don't really fit into their genre.  Also the first Jets to Brazil (same singer/songwriter) album is fantastic, the subsequent ones are more mixed with some Beatlesesque gems for sure.

For power pop I always end up getting the whole obscure, record collector thing- it's fun to think of the catchiest band the universe never heard.  Probably the most (ironically) popular of those is the Nerves, and they're definitely rad.

I could go all day, this is one of my favorite areas in music- it's the kind of music I started playing myself in highschool and then couldn't resist re-exploring in my 30's (early midlife crisis?).

Maybe more punk than power pop, but it should still appeal to that part of you. Plus, it's just flipping' amazing.

Especially considering this was from 1971.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0N9hTnxMJI&list=PLD7F1C7283F545FB5

• 3 years later...

One of the greatest power pop bands of the last 30 years—SLOAN—is offering their singles collection on their web site as a free download. Every single person here needs to have every single one of these songs in their collection. And, as long as you can get it for free, you really should. A great introduction to a truly great band. Canada's finest!!!

Seriously. Get it. You can thank me later.

Link to the download right here folks:

http://labs.topspin.net/daphne/confirm.php?sessionid=92c45b1763e12584ef906b7f8e149cfd&fb=3

92c45b1763e12584ef906b7f8e149cfd.jpg

You're welcome!