Wilco playing St. Augustine 5/1/2015

Holy shit! Just heard the amazing news that Wilco is returning to St. Augustine to open the Gamble Rogers Folk Festival! Friday night, May 1.

Heart palpitating, limbs trembling, smiling uncontrollably. College deejay that broke the news is spinning "She's a Jar" right now. Wilco fans in FLA rejoice!

Hooray for you! It's probably because of that awesome afterparty that Nels and John talked about at about the 5:00 mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCnlqdXAA9U

There still isn't any Google-able evidence that this is actually happening, but the announcement was made by an employee of the county Parks & Rec dept., which sponsors this event and runs the lovely St. Augustine Amphitheatre. Once the announcement is formally made by Wilco HQ, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see more Florida dates added. A one-off in this neck of the woods seems highly unlikely.

* I've heard that the wild house party they refer to in that video was at the house of a girl that used to cut my hair. I plied her for details but she said psychedelics were involved and the whole night was quite fuzzy.

If this does get confirmed this gig would put them in a perfect position geographically to play Jazzfest in New Orleans. Since I'm planning to go to that anyway I would love to see Wilco there, too. Lots if opportunities for sit ins given John and Pat's history down there.

If any out of town St. Augustine attendees are also campers, then Anastasia State Park is where you should sleep. We have camped there several times, twice for amphitheatre shows, and it's perfectly situated. There is a trail near the campground area that takes you directly to the amphitheatre. We ride our bikes and lock them up, but it is an easy walk. No parking hassles and wake up Saturday to spend the morning on a beautiful pristine beach before spending the day in St. Augustine. Make your reservation soon as there are only 24 unreserved sites remaining! Meet us at site 15 for a pre show beer. 

http://www.floridastateparks.org/anastasia/

We have a canoe but have never canoed there. The canoe/kayak area is looks nice though and seems to get use. It's a tidal marsh and you get views and waterfowl. We contemplate bringing the canoe but never do it. Also, the amphitheater has a Farmer's market Saturday mornings that's fun.

I saw Wilco at Anastasia last year, and it was an amazing show.  The power went out mid-song, and the band kept playing like it was live.  Very cool.  Tweedy even complimented the audience, saying how great we were.  Awww.  Anyway, yes, there is a beautiful place to kayak in the park.  Rather inexpensive and a very good time.  Maybe you'll see the band out there.  Just look out for the sandbars!

Bob