Tweedy - Glasgow, 29/01/15

Truly great gig. Naturally some good banter about the nose breaking incident but mostly heads down, fill the time with music.

Solo set:

IATBYH

New Madrid

Mountain Bed

One Wing

Forget the Flowers

Woodgrain

Via Chicago

Jesus etc

Please Tell My Brother

Spiders

ITMWLY

(no particular order)

Nice treat in the encore was You're Not Alone AND Only The Lord Knows. After the latter Jeff conferred with Darin and they agreed they had "time to do both." As Jeff said "Tweedy is the band that leaves you wanting less."

Oh yeah, then they did a cover of "The Losing End!"

As someone else on here once said, here is the complete set lists as played...

Nobody Dies Anymore

Hazel

Fake Fur Coat

Diamond Light Pt.1

Flowering

Summernoon

World Away

New Moon

Honeycombed

Desert Bell

High As Hello

Wait For Love

Love Like A Wire

Low Key

*I Am Trying To Break Your Heart

*New Madrid

*Remember The Mountain Bed

*One Wing

*Via Chicago

*Forget The Flowers

*Woodgrain

*Spiders (Kidsmoke)

*Please Tell My Brother

*Jesus etc

*I'm The Man Who Loves You

Encore

Please Don't Let Me Be So Understood

Only The Lord Knows

You're Not Alone

The Losing End

California Stars

* solo acoustic

A typically tight Tweedy band show with Jeff in good humour throughout, occasionally being led into banter corner with the one vocal member of a very reserved though highly attentive and appreciative audience. On the menu for discussion tonight was Jeff's recollection of when Wilco last played the venue in 2011 with a fight breaking out during Rising Red Lung and his suggesting that the following Susan's research, Tweedy's were a Clan of grumpy fiddlers from the area. The venue, which has a capacity go 2475, was probably only about half full with only the arena/stalls area being used. The box office seating plan showed 90% of the seats taken earlier in the day but with the gig being part of the annual Celtic Connections Festival which has lots of members season ticket plans, this was probably the reason for so many "no shows."

The acoustics at the Royal Concert Hall are excellent and with Stan behind the board the resulting sound mix was perfect. The band set was very similar to what was played when I last saw them at Leuven in November with Honeycombed added but Pigeons & Why Why Why omitted. The encore appeared to have You're Not Alone audibled in but it was down on the setlist when I checked later. Neil Young's The Losing End was played for the first time and Woodgrain saw active service for the first time since 2003.

Great to briefly meet up with Mr & Mrs Queenie and also nice to finally introduce Mrs Pennyghael to the world of Wilco. A recording of the show will be up somewhere when I get time.

Anyway gentlemen, to bed as we rise at 8.30 for 9.00...... 

Hello peeps und Meister bboppen!

Yes good show - but I thought it lacked a little atmosphere and the usual Glasgow 'weegieness' banter (though thankfully all of the bloodshed). I think there could have been as little as 800 souls there actually - which were a little lost in the cavern of the GRCH.

JT is obviously getting to grips with the twitteratti - he referred again to the numerous waltz tempos on the Tweedy album as being '#waltzwave'  - though frankly I think polkas will be the next big thing, after the Boston two step (which is the national dance of Shetland - but you knew that Paul, right?)  :thumbup

My favourite JT quote of the night was "we're gonna give you lots of music. The motto of this band is 'leave them wanting less'" 

All I was left wanting after this show was another Wilco tour.  Make It So. 

• 4 weeks later...

As someone else on here once said, here is the complete set lists as played...

*I Am Trying To Break Your Heart

*New Madrid

*Remember The Mountain Bed

*One Wing

*Via Chicago

*Forget The Flowers

*Woodgrain

*Spiders (Kidsmoke)

*Please Tell My Brother

*Jesus etc

*I'm The Man Who Loves You

* solo acoustic

One very slight correction I happened to notice whilst giving a listen to this show. At least one recording circulating (not sure if there are multiple) has flipped the order of Forget The Flowers and Via Chicago, which might account for the discrepancy between Sir Pennyghael's setlist above and the Wilcoworld one; in this instance, I believe the latter is correct...so it should be Forget The Flowers followed by Via Chicago. FYI.  :thumbup

huh, s'pose you're right. All down to me rushing to get the complete setlist in after an incomplete one was posted earlier. Slow and steady wins every time then... :uhoh

Well, not every time (and obviously at least one recording had the two songs switched as well). But just a minor snafu, all in all! :thumbup