Going to Newfoundland!

Closest I've been to that is Nova Scotia. Get ready to fill up on lobster because its plentiful and relatively inexpensive. I loved the shoreline and tidal pools....

I live in Maine, and I have wanted to visit Newfoundland for a long time. It looks like Maine on steroids. The good steroids. That doesn't even make sense, but hopefully it gets the point across. I want to go to the northern tip of Newfoundland to see where the Vikings settled at L'Anse aux Meadows, and by doing that, travel the length of the province.

We were in Newfoundland for 12 or 13 days last summer. We flew into St. John's and saw icebergs from the plane. One of our best travels ever, and that's saying something. Make sure that you take the extra time to go to L'anse aux Meadows. It's worth it. I'd tell you more but I've got to go. I'd be happy to talk about our experience, offer tips, answer questions, etc. you will love it. We loved Nova Scotia a few years earlier, but Newfoundland was better.

Edit: I just saw that you'll only have 4 days. Wow. The top spots are far from one another, long drives. Consider forgoing St. John's and the eastern sites. Look into flying into Deer Lake and just doing the 2 UNESCO World Heritage sites of Gros Morne National Park and L'Anse Aux Meadows National Historic Site. You'll get icebergs, the Viking settlement (a must) and fishing villages at L'Anse and fjords, the Tablelands (the Earth's mantle exposed from 100s of 1000s of years ago, hiking on them is truly awesome), and wildlife and other natural beauty.

We were in Newfoundland for 12 or 13 days last summer. We flew into St. John's and saw icebergs from the plane. One of our best travels ever, and that's saying something. Make sure that you take the extra time to go to L'anse aux Meadows. It's worth it. I'd tell you more but I've got to go. I'd be happy to talk about our experience, offer tips, answer questions, etc. you will love it. We loved Nova Scotia a few years earlier, but Newfoundland was better.

Edit: I just saw that you'll only have 4 days. Wow. The top spots are far from one another, long drives. Consider forgoing St. John's and the eastern sites. Look into flying into Deer Lake and just doing the 2 UNESCO World Heritage sites of Gros Morne National Park and L'Anse Aux Meadows National Historic Site. You'll get icebergs, the Viking settlement (a must) and fishing villages at L'Anse and fjords, the Tablelands (the Earth's mantle exposed from 100s of 1000s of years ago, hiking on them is truly awesome), and wildlife and other natural beauty.

Ahh I appreciate the pointers unfortunately I didn't realize how far apart things are. Going to the Saint John 's side because I can fly there on miles. I'll have to save western nf for another trip.. Still I can't be bummed I already scheduled a puffin, whale watching excursion :)

Hey, you can have a great long weekend using St. John's as a base. I'll post some ideas tomorrow.

Remphish,

The things in Avalon, the area that St. John's is in, that I'd say are musts: Cape St. Mary's Ecological Reserve (North America's most accessible seabird colony. Amazing. You can sit and watch 1000s from about 50 feet. The gannets were my favorites), Brigus-

a postcard perfect historic coastal town, Cupids - the oldest English settlement in Canada, Ferryland- an old coastal settlement with Irish heritage and of course, St. John's, a great place to walk around and take it all in. If you are in St. John's on a Friday, make sure you go to the Quidi Vidi Brewery, for the "Kitchen Party" starting at 5:30. Happy hour beers, a local band playing traditional Newfie music and cool covers done in Newfie trad style, plus free fish stew! It's filled with locals. Go, even if you can't make the kitchen party. A beautiful little fishing village, the perfect place to have a few pints. Of course, make your way up Signal Hill, you'll likely see icebergs. If you are able to make the drive, Trinity and and Bonavista are in the East, but fairly close and worth it. Also, if you are into fossils, the Mistaken Point Ecological Reserve in Avalon, has fossil-bearing surfaces that are 575 million years old. We were moved.

If you haven't already done so, order the free Travelers Guide from newfoundlandandLabrador.com I found it very helpful. The website itself, run by the touristry board, is great. They also have a handy app.

Enjoy!