We started a running list of strong movies last summer, too.

Here are my five favorites of 2015 so far, based on availability in southeast Wisconsin (which means I haven’t yet had a chance to see many likely contenders):
1. Leviathan / Andrey Zvyagintsev / Russia
2. The Homesman / Tommy Lee Jones / USA
3. When Marnie Was There / Hiromasa Yonebayashi / Japan
4. Mommy / Xavier Dolan / Canada
5. Love & Mercy / Bill Pohlad / USA

Best Short Film: World of Tomorrow / Don Hertzfeldt / USA
Best Summer Movie: Mad Max: Fury Road / George Miller / Australia
Most Unfairly Dismissed: Far from the Madding Crowd / Thomas Vinterberg / UK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpawdA34HNk

These are all that came to mind for now.

A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night 
Me And Earl and the Dying Girl 
Slow West
Ex Machina 
Mad Max: Fury Road 

But there are bunch of films I’m looking forward to seeing before the end of the year. 

Crimson Peak
The Hateful Eight 
The Revenant 
Knight of Cups
Tale Of Tales 
Youth 
Joy
Carol 
Experimenter
Mistress America 
Everything Will Be Fine  

A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night 

Overall I was lukewarm towards A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night, but I'm thrilled/fascinated that it exists and the ethereal scene scored by White Lies' "Death" would make my list of favorite fragments of the year.

I haven't been able to make it out to many movies yet this year. Inside Out was incredible and is probably my favorite Pixar movie of all-time. I also really enjoyed Tomorrowland, which seems to make me an outlier among many. I don't care, though, because the idealism at its heart affected me greatly. And I think there is a lot more going on in that movie than what appears at the surface.

Now that some of these movies from earlier in the year are coming out on Blu-Ray, I need to get my Netflix queue updated.

Saw Inside Out with the kids --- it's a good one -- Sadness sure bugged the hell out of me - which was the point, I guess. Not sure if is my favorite Pixar movie, though. I think my favorite is Up - hard to pick though.

We saw Inside Out shortly after our dog passed away. It really hit home in a lot of areas. Most importantly, its message came at just the right time. My daughter had told my wife and me on a couple of different occasions how she just couldn't stop being sad. We told her it was okay. That losing Alex was sad. Then this movie came along, which not only helped explain how it is okay to be sad, but how important and necessary it is to allow yourself to fully experience sadness and allow yourself to grieve. It's a powerful film in that respect.

We saw Inside Out shortly after our dog passed away. It really hit home in a lot of areas. Most importantly, its message came at just the right time. My daughter had told my wife and me on a couple of different occasions how she just couldn't stop being sad. We told her it was okay. That losing Alex was sad. Then this movie came along, which not only helped explain how it is okay to be sad, but how important and necessary it is to allow yourself to fully experience sadness and allow yourself to grieve. It's a powerful film in that respect.

Agreed. Must admit though - I thought boys, in general, got the short shrift in the film --- I realize that the main character is a girl - but every time "feelings" and "boys" came up in the film, the boy's feelings were a bit empty and had zero depth. I guess I am talking about the ending and closing credits.

Perhaps Inside Out, Two will have a boy as a main character.

I guess I should mention I took my five year old son - so I am coming from that perspective. Both my son and three old daughter were thoroughly engrossed in the film, though, and my son kept talking about for it for long while afterwards.

And I agree about the whole sadness angle - the whole "it's okay to be sad" - it was a great message.

We started a running list of strong movies last summer, too.

Here are my five favorites of 2015 so far, based on availability in southeast Wisconsin (which means I haven’t yet had a chance to see many likely contenders):

1. Leviathan / Andrey Zvyagintsev / Russia

2. The Homesman / Tommy Lee Jones / USA

3. When Marnie Was There / Hiromasa Yonebayashi / Japan

4. Mommy / Xavier Dolan / Canada

5. Love & Mercy / Bill Pohlad / USA

Best Short Film: World of Tomorrow / Don Hertzfeldt / USA

Best Summer Movie: Mad Max: Fury Road / George Miller / Australia

Most Unfairly Dismissed: Far from the Madding Crowd / Thomas Vinterberg / UK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpawdA34HNk

I've only seen one of these movies, When Marnie Was There was the one and it was Fantastic! Definitely one of my favorites of 2015! 

Here's my list in the order in which I saw these films: (the bold ones being the ones that stuck with me more. I still can't make a Top 5 List from these 20 or so films.)

Inherent Vice                                          (Just an awesome experience from the very first scene to the very end. Some of PTA's best visuals & use of music in awhile, including Can's Vitamin C.)

Blackhat                                                 (Michael Mann's computer heist film was eaten up by American Sniper in January. Not the best Mann film, but worth it to see once.)

Jupiter Ascending                                 (The Wachowski's out there sci-fi spectacle had an extremely cool uniqueness to it. Reminded me of the dime a dozen 80s sci fi films. Eddie Redmayne is out of control here as the baddie)

Kingsman: The Secret Service             (One of the best action films in a very long time. Huge surprise. Lots of fun.)

Focus                                                     (A cool attempt at trying to make a David Mamet heist film that is executed quite well.) 

Chappie                                                (Another throwback to the 80s sci fi films that obviously reminded everyone of Short Circuit. Awesome special effects and terrific story. Sharlto Copley as Chappie is heartbreaking.)

While We're Young                              (I didn't realize it, but the first of the Noah Baumbach films this year. Excellent dialog and real characters.)

Lost River                                             (Ryan Gosling attempts to evoke David Lynch in his own directorial debut with his experiences with Refn. An abstract film with gorgeous colors.)

Ex Machina                                         (Alex Garland's film is so well done and thought provoking that I wish that I saw it again. Plus, Domnhall Gleeson & Oscar Isaac team up again in Star Wars.) 

Danny Collins                                      (Al Pacino playing a singer version of his persona who finally comes across a letter from John Lennon that prompts Lennon's music to be used throughout. A real crowd pleaser.)

Child 44                                                (Tom Hardy plays a WWII Russian solider turned detective looking for missing children. Great support work from Noomi Rapace.)

The D Train                                          (Dark comedy with Jack Black who tries to recruit the "big time" actor to his 10 year high school reunion. This goes to weird places and has a great 80s soundtrack.)

Welcome To Me                                 (Kristen Wiig plays a mentally ill woman who wants to put her life onto a tv show that draws viewers out of morbid curiosity. Lots of interesting insight and places this takes us on.)

Mad Max: Fury Road                          (Best action movie in a very long time with an excellent script. Can't forget the visuals in this one.)

Poltergeist                                          (A fun remake, albeit an unnecessary one. Nostalgia time.)

Love & Mercy                                      (Probably at the top of the list. Incredible music, performances and one incredible life.) 

Aloha                                                   (What started out as the worst Cameron Crowe film ever somehow saved itself at some point and wasn't ever that bad. He's just out of his own comfort zone here.)

Entourage                                           (Yeah, it feels like 3 episodes slapped together, but it was fun to revisit these characters and to watch this with other fans of the show in a movie theater, instead of at home.)

Jurassic World                                    (A fun ride. I'll forgive the cliched characters here.)

Good Kill                                           (Andrew Niccol's hard hitting war film that takes place in a room where soldiers attack overseas while manning drones is just the type of new insight into war that we need now.)

The Overnight                                   (see below)

Creep                                                (see below)

Ted 2                                                (Hugely entertaining again with some in jokes. I still laugh to this day of Liam Neeson's cameo.)

Biggest Disappointment At An Homage To Before Sunrise: Chris Evans' directorial debut Before We Go. He even pulls 2 scenes/bits from Linklater's film. Just a bit boring with cliched characters and contrived situations. 

I Knew That It'd Disappoint Me: Avengers: Age Of Ultron: How do you top the first one? Well, I guess you take the first script and just switch out the villain. Yawnfest. 

Most Overrated Film (Or Why I Don't Ever Listen To The Hype): It Follows - Yeah, this is an interesting idea done in an abstract, yet still in your face way. Loved the music and cinematography though. And the lead was great too. 

Worst "Comedy" In Recent Memory: Unfinished Business - This walked the tight rope between wanting to be serious & sentimental and stupid & immature. Vince Vaughn, Tom Wilkinson and Dave Franco make an odd team. 

Enough Already: 3 way tie: Night At The Museum 3/Taken 3/Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 - At least Taken 3 was somewhat entertaining in the doldrums of early January, but Hunger Games was boring and felt like a slow crawling lead up to the final installment. 

Worst Piece Of American Propaganda Ever Put To Film: American Sniper. Don't get me started on Chris Kyle's "character". He was so full of shit in his book with lies to make him seem larger than life that none of his fans wanted to ever discuss. A very frightening moment in time. 

You Wouldn't Think That It'd Be A Decent Flick: The Loft - This had me guessing the whole way and seemed like a throwback to the dirty 90s pictures that were seedy. Very Bad Things came to mind. 

My Favorite Family Film: Paddington - I really enjoyed this one. It was very British. 

Best Time I've Had In A Theater Since The Help While Feeling White Guilt: Black Or White - Where has Mike Binder been? Kevin Costner did as well that he could with the heavy handed material. It did bring up some interesting topics. 

I'll Keep Watching This Train Wreck: Mortdecai - I really enjoyed this bizarre attempt at Johnny Depp making his own Inspector Clousseau. Jeff Goldblum shows up. 

Best Serious Film With Jonah Hill & James Franco: True Story - This was a particularly engaging piece of cinema that had me guessing all the way to the end. Worth a watch. 

I'm not really sure who Tomorrowland was made for. I would have hated it if I was 15 and it seemed too "kiddie" for older adults. I do respect the theme of the film, but I can't help but feel that Clooney was horribly miscast. 

I enjoyed seeing The Overnight so much so that by the time I got home I looked up the director and noticed that he also made Creep which was on iTunes. Sadly, it went on NetFlix a week later and I spent $5.99 that I didn't' have to. Creep is an interesting low budget thriller about a guy that posts a Craigslist ad looking for a videographer to film him. That's all that I'll say. Mark Duplass is great in it and shows colors that we haven't seen from him. 

I was also "fortunate" enough to see China's most expensive film ever made. A friend of mine sent me Dragon Blade (US release on Sept 4) on dvd from China. It was horribly uneven. The first half was so boring and playing it safe for families that all that seemed interesting were the costumes and the locations. And in the last half the whole film turned to bloody carnage with a torture scene for John Cusack. Adrien Brody really hammed it up here. No interest in ever sitting through this one again. 

I'm looking forward to…(mostly what everyone said here, especially Malick's Knight Of Cups.)

Ridley Scott's The Martian

Brian Helgeland's Legend which has Tom Hardy playing dual roles as the Kray twins. 

Sleeping With Other People

M. Night Shymalan's The Visit

Black Mass

Everest

Sicario

Eli Roth's The Green Inferno

Jared Hess' Masterminds

Spielberg's Bridge Of Spies written by the Coen Brothers!

Barry Levinson's Rock The Kasbah

Spectre

Oliver Stones' Snowden

I haven't been able to make it out to many movies yet this year. Inside Out was incredible and is probably my favorite Pixar movie of all-time. I also really enjoyed Tomorrowland, which seems to make me an outlier among many. I don't care, though, because the idealism at its heart affected me greatly. And I think there is a lot more going on in that movie than what appears at the surface.

Agree with you for the most part.

Inside Out was SUPER creative. I think sometimes people forget that, in original films like this one, everything was created from nothing. Similar to Monster’s Inc., Pete Docter and his crew imagined a world and created its own rules. I thought it was very clever how they illustrated the mind and came up with core memories and various islands representing different parts of a person’s personality, not to mention other characters and places I won’t talk about so as not to ruin it for anybody. I think Up, Wall-E and Toy Story would make up my top 3. Inside Out would fight for the next spot.

For anybody who likes animation, I recommend Songs Of The Sea, which was nominated last year for Best Animation and is on dvd.  

Tomorrowland I enjoyed as well. I was SO bummed at the lukewarm response from critics. It was directed greatly by Brad Bird, particularly the action scenes. I found its optimistic tone to be refreshing.

Haven’t seen any of the films on the OP’s list. I’d probably like a lot of them, but usually just see films at normal-sized movie complexes, except for once or twice a year. The Revenant and Pixar’s Good Dinosaur I most look forward to later this year.

As for Mad Max, I liked it just okay. It's a relentless ride. For me that's not necessarily a good thing.