The thread where I try to spread the gospel but get ignored. But I must fight the good fight. Just going to park it for now.

BTW I believe that Australia are playing the USA in a warm up game next weekend in Chicago.

So, just to get the juices flowing, here's a taste of what's at stake in the Group of Death featuring Wales, England and Australia (not to mention Fiji who might cause an upset in a match or two):-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM4mIlYKG9s

And if you ever wondered why the All Blacks are such a rugby machine, they start them young with the right attitude:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnqDTjZ_yr0

All kicks off 3 weeks tonight, and is an epic tournament with all the natural drama of rugby and large enough to generate extra excitement without yet quite being swamped/corrupted by money/sponsorship and crass player attitudes like the football world cup/olympics/tennis/etc.

Stay tuned ...

Doom and gloom in the valleys as 2 of our key individuals are crocked for the tournament during the last warm up game. The only positive is that it allows us to retain our transitional underdog mentality, but I do not expect the tournament to be quite what we were hoping for now. The best scrum half in the 6 nations out, and while there's an argument for saying that Dan Biggar can cover for the place kicking and Liam Williams is a more incisive attacking full back, he would have been better replacing the dreadful Cuthbert on the wing, and overall the strength in depth of our limited resources has taken a major setback. Bugger. I will be at Wales v Fiji at the start of October. 

Meanwhile England found some momentum with a win against Ireland, though they butchered some glaring overlaps a few times - the sort of mistake that looses crucial games.

With 2 days to go before Friday's opening match England v Fiji, it's time for most of you to do some homework. I am here to help.

http://rwcguide.walesonline.co.uk/index.html

P.S. Do not waste time watching any pre match opening ceremony on Friday night. Any self respecting rugby fan regards on pitch entertainment with distain. Having a singer to accompany the national anthems is bad enough. What more do you need than the growing tension in the limbs as a muscle memory of playing volunteers you to take part, the desperate longing in the heart for success, and a bit of banter with the opposition.

P.P.S. In this first case, go Fiji, until we face them later in the group that is, when I will be in attendance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVFu87Ofv8w

Thanks for reminding me. I'm going to tune in to what I can, and hopefully I can learn something.

You're welcome. I'll try to flag up some good matches to try and catch - usually someone will put full length versions of the best games up on YouTube. Also, there's usually a group game or two between the no hopers playing for pride that turns into a classic. You look like you should be supporting Ireland. Sort of my second team from time to time. Better strength in depth than for many years, a wiley coach, and in the easier half of the draw. Just missing B.O.D. these days for some old school magic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTdpVZAuA2U

Not to mention R.O.G. too, star of one of my favourite rugby related photos. BOD is gobsmacked as the Lions captain introduces ROG to the Queen before the Lions leave for the 2001 Australian tour. ROG being the laid back Irish boy he is is not too bothered with the whole occasion. Class.

BritishQueen.jpg

Just in case people wanted to watch the games here in the US NBC (probably on their Universal Sports network and Univision)  will be showing  four USA pool matches, opening match, both semi-finals, bronze final and the final with all the games being available through their streaming site as well. 

New Zealand are favourites as almost always. Home advantage for England is a big boost. Australia are looking good. South Africa have been out of sorts for a year or so but the tri-nations are always in the mix. France can beat anyone on their day and have downed New Zealand twice in the past and only lost by a point in the last tournament after a virtual player mutiny against their coach. They need at least 3 good games in a row though. Ireland and Wales have an outside chance.

France and Ireland benefit from being in the easier half of the draw. Only 2 from England, Australia, Wales get out of the pool of death of course, and the second placed team gets New Zealand.

A mis-firing England overcome a determined but tiring and less well drilled Fiji, who squandered penalty points at important times. Was looking good for Wales as time ticked away without England scoring the fourth try for a bonus point, but they got it with the last play of the match. A sign of a good team to pull through when it counts.

Not sure how many of tomorrows matches I'll get to watch live. France v Italy is the most evenly matched game for the recognised nations. Georgia v Tonga could be a nice one with little at stake in practise except pride for two evenly matched teams.

On Sunday USA v Samoa will be my warm up for Wales v Uruguay - which will be one sided but as a fan needs to be watched if only to check on form for the next weekend (England v Wales!!!!) and to keep fingers crossed that there are no injuries (Wales lost 3 of their best players in the weeks leading up to the tournament). Uruguay are the only fully amateur team in the competition. They will get a good sporting reception in Cardiff.

Not really a fan, but I'm watching England-Fiji at the bar in my neighborhood grocery store.

I wish my grocery store had a bar.  I was in Scotland all last week so saw quite a bit of Rugby.  I have to say, I don't even kind of get the rules but it's entertaining to watch.  Those are some tough dudes.

I wish my grocery store had a bar.  I was in Scotland all last week so saw quite a bit of Rugby.  I have to say, I don't even kind of get the rules but it's entertaining to watch.  Those are some tough dudes.

It's a great concept: a grocery store with a bar serving Texas craft beer, and a restaurant with cheap, tasty food. They don't expect tips, but any that are left are donated to charity. They smoke brisket on site, so the whole place smells fantastic.

My neighbor played rugby for years and has tried to teach me the rules on numerous occasions, but I just can't get the hang of it. Fun to watch, though.

INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!

Japan take down the mighty Boks in their first ever world cup match win in over 25 years of trying.
Fantastic scenes at the end. Try and catch the second half on youtube. As you can imagine Brits in the crowd took to the underdogs.

Japan played smart precise rugby, retained possession brilliantly, and tackled their hearts out. SA muscled over for a couple of tries but were sloppy in conceding penalties that kept Japan within touch and kept them hopeful. The final 5 minutes were extraordinary.

Earlier, another upset of a smaller scale when Georgia beat Tonga.

Japan had a penalty to go for the draw at the death, but they went for the win!

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/sep/19/south-africa-japan-rugby-world-cup-2015-match-report

Entire World Cups are shaped by weekends like this. This was not just one of the most epic games in the history of this tournament but one to create ripples across the globe. Never has there been a bigger shock at this level. If there is a contest even half as extraordinary between now and the end of October the tournament will be truly blessed.

The Brave Blossoms were more than gallant, they were utterly sensational. Brighton, hitherto a football town, rocked like never before as the Japanese took a vastly experienced South Africa side to the edge of reason and beyond. Right up to the closing seconds, though, it seemed they might fall short, only for the replacement wing Karne Hesketh to dive over in the corner with the final act of the game to clinch a supposedly impossible triumph. Crazy does not begin to cover it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/rugby-world-cup/11876935/South-Africa-32-Japan-34-match-report-Outstanding-Japan-pull-off-the-greatest-upset-in-World-Cup-history.html

What utter melon sized bollocks to go for the scrum against South Africa. Extraordinary. Brave and extraordinary.

Official highlights:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ghArmsJjQM

Jumping around the room screaming at the TV time ...

Not looking good for the boys in red as our injury nightmare continues with more problems after the Uruguay win, plus their tactical approach was particularly brainless and execution still way below par in what should have been an 80 point at elast margin. It is going to take a backs against the wall performance of Rorke's Drift proportions to avoid a defeat against England on Saturday.

Meanwhile, USA lost to Samoa - my American brother in law (from St Louis) living in Cardiff is thinking about going to see their last match against Japan - who I am still buzzing over from Saturday. In the evening France batted aside an ineffective (without their talisman Parisse) Italy in a dull stop-start game.

Last night the All Blacks eased past Argentina - never looking in real danger although slightly out of sorts for 60 minutes of an entertaining match. A comfortable romp through the rest of the group to the expected group winner quarter final spot awaits them. Argentina should also progress on this form.

A couple of days break now (unlike Wendyball the physical nature of rugby means that it's not possible to play tournaments continuously - teams need some recovery time) until Australia enter for the first time against Fiji, and likewise Scotland against everyone's new favourites - the 'Brave Blossoms' of Japan.

Half tIme: Scotland 12 Japan 7.

Scotland have edged ahead with penalties but Japan look the more incisive, are moving the ball nicely, and have scored the only try. Still all to play for.

EDIT: Thought I had added a subsequent post but obviously not saved it somehow. Scotland kept steady, unlike SA not conceding penalties and pouncing on the growing number of Japanese mistakes. From the point when Japan's No. 8 went off they were a spent force. Definitely faded in final quarter. They can still qualify via wins over USA and Samoa.

France picked up their second win in the evening to leave them a clash with Ireland away from topping the table. The Irish might have something to say about that as France stuttered against a determined Romania.

Similarly, Fiji had the best of a second half against Australia but the Aussies did enough, although not enough to get a bonus point. The significance of that is yet to be determined. Wales might struggle against Fiji themselves next week.

However, despite the All Blacks facing Namibia tonight in what is likely to be the greatest mis-match of the tournament, today is all about the team announcements and build up for England v Wales on Saturday. Starting to get tense ...

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/ng-interactive/2015/sep/07/rugby-world-cup-2015-digital-wallchart