Cold Slope

King of You

Via Chicago

Spiders

Heavy Metal Drummer

I'm the Man Who Loves You

Impossible Germany

Late Greats

* "Jesus etc" was on the setlist but not played.

Wilco came on at 6:30, preceded by only one other band, A Knockout Punch, out of Sweden. Imagine a slightly heavier-sounding Blink 182 - that's how they sounded.

By the time Wilco started, the audience had filled out dramatically, and from our vantage, the enthusiasm was there, as heard in spontaneous audience singalongs and aggressive clapping to the beat. We were treated to an "extended version" of "Art of Almost," per Jeff - granted, it had more to do with Nels' technical issues than with a new approach to the record. It all worked out in the end. Jeff also claimed it was the first time on the tour that he had asked the audience how they were doing, but he felt we were on his side.

One funny scene occurred during "Via Chicago," specifically the huge rhythmic din around the middle of the song. Two of the young security guards at the front shot each other quizzical looks, maybe a smirk, and craned their necks to see what the heck these American musicians could possibly be up to. It appeared that Wilco had grabbed their attention, at least momentarily.

This was a fun show, and I'm so pleased we happened to be in Croatia for it. (Believe me, I have scheduled some Wilco trips in my day, but this was truly a coincidence!) The extended Croatian version of "Art of Almost" was a highlight. Jeff also complimented the crowd's clapping near the end of "Spiders" without being asked, although he did gently prompt any folks who didn't happen to be participating to jump in as well. The crowd seemed to enjoy themselves, and I overheard one fan as we were leaving proclaim Wilco "The best American band, I think." I hope someone is on the scene to report from Montenegro in a couple days!

P.S. The Swedish band was A Knockout Angle. Whole lotta bow ties and shorts.

More

Random Name Generator

I Am Trying to Break Your Heart

Art of Almost

Pickled Ginger

Hummingbird

Handshake Drug

Cold Slope

King of You

Via Chicago

Spiders

Heavy Metal Drummer

I'm the Man Who Loves You

Impossible Germany

Late Greats

* "Jesus etc" was on the setlist but not played.

Wilco came on at 6:30, preceded by only one other band, A Knockout Punch, out of Sweden. Imagine a slightly heavier-sounding Blink 182 - that's how they sounded.

By the time Wilco started, the audience had filled out dramatically, and from our vantage, the enthusiasm was there, as heard in spontaneous audience singalongs and aggressive clapping to the beat. We were treated to an "extended version" of "Art of Almost," per Jeff - granted, it had more to do with Nels' technical issues than with a new approach to the record. It all worked out in the end. Jeff also claimed it was the first time on the tour that he had asked the audience how they were doing, but he felt we were on his side.

One funny scene occurred during "Via Chicago," specifically the huge rhythmic din around the middle of the song. Two of the young security guards at the front shot each other quizzical looks, maybe a smirk, and craned their necks to see what the heck these American musicians could possibly be up to. It appeared that Wilco had grabbed their attention, at least momentarily.

Thanks for the reportage! Glad you guys had fun (and got to see another of the, ahem, illustrious bands to precede Wilco at festivals over the years).

Out of curiosity, did Jeff say "hvala" or just boring old "thanks?" I remember when the band played in Zagreb previously that someone came out shortly before the band took the stage and hand wrote "hvala" on Jeff's setlist...haha. B)

This was my first--maybe only?--non-U.S. Wilco show. So grateful for this luck! It was also my first time hearing Star Wars material live. The band sounded great, and it was nice to have several songs on the list that featured Jeff's guitar work. (Dear Rainbow SG: Where are you? Love, Me) Wish I had gotten a picture of the security guards' expressions during Via. They had no idea what to make of the cacophony on stage that exited into only acoustic guitar.

The extended Croatian version of Spiders was quite the experience--I felt for Nels's tech. Give that guy an extra Ozujsko!

Jeff didn't attempt to use any Croatian; he spoke the universal language of music and clapping. ;)

Great show, great experience, great city. Thanks, Wilco!

Thanks for the reportage! Glad you guys had fun (and got to see another of the, ahem, illustrious bands to precede Wilco at festivals over the years).

Out of curiosity, did Jeff say "hvala" or just boring old "thanks?" I remember when the band played in Zagreb previously that someone came out shortly before the band took the stage and hand wrote "hvala" on Jeff's setlist...haha. B)

Are you not traveling to Wilco's shows anymore? Also, were you at the Philly show?

Are you not traveling to Wilco's shows anymore? Also, were you at the Philly show?

Yeah, I'm retired...or retiring. B)

Just kidding (sort of). We all have to pick our battles, and while I'm glad the band is expanding into new locales, trying to get to a different festival in a different country every day without the services of a driver would be kind of tough IMHO.

And no, unfortunately I wasn't at the recent Philadelphia show.