Misunderstood

Someone To Lose

Bull Black Nova

IATTBYH

We Aren't The World (Safety Girl)

The Late Greats

More in a bit. I was happy.

How bout BoH? They go on at 8:30?

Yeah they should be on soon wish wilco started later I would have been there in a heartbeat then! Wilco do a signing?

Fun show. Personally, i was never closer even though we have been on the rail many times. Such a small venue and from front row Jeff in arm's reach. All seemed in a good mood and were gracious in signing for all. Such a fun home court show after traveling recently for Madison, Minneapolis, Chicago and 3 in SF. Nels always seems so at ease at home. Im sure they will have a blast in South America and we at least hope to make some of Europe.

Thanks for posting the list, Parisistale! That's some impressive posting speed. I had barely hit the signing line when I saw that you'd put it up.

Seeing any band in the friendly confines of Rough Trade is a treat -- I was lucky to catch Sturgill Simpson's album release show there earlier this year -- and the fact that Wilco dropped by felt like Christmas morning on a warm September night. The only time I'd ever seen Wilco in such an intimate setting was their first Otto's warm-up show in May 2004. (My wife saw them play an in-store at Tower Records in Chicago in the days when you could basically walk right up to the front.) We all know they were in town to play Colbert, but it really is a testament to the band and their crew and management that they'd take the time and considerable effort to book and set up and play and break down a free (with purchase) in-store show during their short spell in town. Not that we needed further proof of their commitment to fans and record stores, but I'm very grateful for it all the same.

The room at Rough Trade is set up like a small club, ringed with a shallow balcony, with two bars lining the left hand wall. Capacity is somewhere in the neighborhood of 300. Even with a packed house, there's still room for controlled yet enthusiastic hand clapping and head bobbing in the style of many a Wilco fan, including this one. The sound is warm and clear and bright and really brings out the flourishes and details of the music, making it an especially welcome and fitting place to hear the new Schmilco songs. The band seemed to appreciate this, too. When they finished IATTBYH, Jeff remarked that it was "so nice to hear the nuances of that song." Such are the joys of Rough Trade's miniature scale and pristine acoustics.

Nuance seemed to be the word of the night. Earlier, after finishing up Someone to Lose, Jeff stepped back to the mic and sang an a cappella snippet of the chorus, going from the falsetto "I hope you find" to the deeper "someone to lose," giving himself an impromptu vocal workout in the name of making sure "everyone was getting the nuances of the vocal performance," or something to that effect.

The band played for about 35 minutes and made the most of their time, with little banter through the first few songs. A few songs in, Jeff jokingly asked "Where are the records?" This prompted several people to hold up their copies of Schmilco. Jeff clarified that he was asking about other records, the ones for sale in the shop. "I thought this was a record store, but it feels like a club." He quickly clarified he was still joking: "I know, I've been here before. I didn't buy anything, though. I don't like music."

Jeff introduced Someone to Lose by saying "Here's another song off our new album, Wilco Schmilco. I'm assuming all of you have it. Maybe some of you haven't opened it yet. Nerds." Putting a new spin on a tried and true line, he announced that they're planning to re-release Star Wars and Schmilco as one combined album titled Cease and Desist. "It'll be the 10th anniversary edition," he teased. "You can pre-order it now."

At one point Jeff asked the audience about the sound and got an enthusiastic response. Someone shouted "turn up the lead vocal" and Jeff retorted that he wasn't actually asking for criticism. "You're supposed to just say we sound great." Perhaps this question about sound quality was tempting fate. A few minutes later, fate responded with two terrible feedback whines that caused John to wince and stagger in pain. The band played through it, and thankfully the shrieking subsided and didn't return. After the song, when someone expressed concern for John, Jeff reassured us that "John's okay. He lost all his hearing a LONG time ago. "Hopefully that won't happen again," Jeff went on, then added with an impish grin: "It WAS pretty cool, though."

Another fun band moment came in the lead up to IATTBYH, when Jeff asked Glenn if he was going to start the song. Glenn shook his head no. This prompted Jeff to to share a joke the band has when they're recording at the Loft. If it's time for Glenn to lay down a track, they'll ask him if he's actually performing or if he's still digging around in his bag looking for stuff. Glenn smiled and said "that's a high compliment." Jeff confirmed for the audience that "it IS a high compliment. YOU try it." 

Introducing the final song, Jeff said that the Rough Trade website had posted that the band was going to play for three hours, but that wasn't the case. In fact they'd already played the contracted number of songs, he said, "so this last song is a bonus." This prompted a bunch of people to shout requests. "Get it out," Jeff said, and the shouting soon subsided. Someone from the balcony then decided to be the Freebird guy, which earned boos from the audience and a dismissive head shake from Jeff. "That's the only plank on the Wilco platform," he chided. "You shout Freebird, we're throwing you out. We're building a wall. A wall of Freebird shouters." That got a big laugh from the crowd and the band launched into a rollicking version of The Late Greats. "See you with the Sharpies," Jeff said as the house lights came on and the band left the stage.

The post-show signing line moved swiftly, with the band lined up along the table and making quick work with the Sharpies. (The only other signing we'd attended was for the Wilco book in 2004, which moved quite deliberately.) I was wearing an Ardent Records tee shirt, Big Star's studio and record label, and was happily surprised that John took notice of it. "Cool shirt," he said. "That's the old logo, you don't see that much anymore." The guys were in good spirits, several of them exchanging quick, kind words with fans. When my wife asked about the Solid Sound announcement, Jeff confirmed that the festival is on, they just haven't announced the date yet. From what I heard last night and what I've seen on this board, that announcement will be coming any day now.

So all in all, a treat of a night, short and very sweet. For a 35-minute show, I feel like I've just scratched the surface with this recap. What other band could give so much, so beautifully, in such (relatively) short order? This was our fifth show of 2016 (after both Brooklyn shows, Moorhead, and Minneapolis), and was all the better for being an unexpected encore. So thanks, gentlemen, for a great run. Good travels, and we'll see you in 2017.

Great recap, and t'was a great show. Didn't expect them to pack so much into 30ish minutes, and also was pleasantly surprised to hear some old songs mixed in (kind of expected them to just do Schmilco stuff). Hopefully NYC gets a full Schmilco show soon, the stuff they played sounded great live.