Happy Scary New Year's, Everybody!

I know, I know! I too have never felt such trepidation going into a fresh new year. It should be bright and brilliant and full of hope, but this year those feelings are hard to come by. 

I urge you all to remember who you are and what you stand for. I hope you all will find the strength to surround those you love and those you meet in everyday life with compassion and support. I hope you will be brave enough to rise to the challenges this "new world order" presents. It is not "their" world...it is ours as well, and we have the right and absolutely the obligation to help steer this big inclusive horribly unwieldy ship! We will lumber past the shoals of ugliness and intolerance and greed, and find the clear sailing up ahead. We'll get there together.

Hang in there, my beloved Wilco fans and friends. Always remember, we can make it better.

Thanks for those desperately needed words of encouragement and optimism, Donna!  It'd didn't feel very happy at midnight last night, even out dancing to good music with my wife.  2016 sucked and 2017 is looking even worse.  Its a struggle to find the positives which are mostly of the "it could be worse" variety. 

Its going to take a determined effort to stay positive this year, so I can use all the encouragement I can get so thank you.  I will look to the thinkers and visionaries and role models who can see all these troubled times in a greater context to provide some calm and soothing perspective.  We gotta stick together, us humanists and I will try to be part of the solution as much as I can.

Last year had its ups and downs and certainly ended with a cluster of disappointments for me. However, my dad licked cancer again (a second type of lyphoma), and he's still with us. For that I'm eternally grateful and hopeful for a better new year. All my best to everyone to VC.

Boss_Tweedy, I'm so glad 2016 brought some genuine joy to your family! I wish your dad continued health!

Shug, you described my very-mixed New Years Eve feelings perfectly. I'm right there with you but we simply have to put things back to order in the world. There's no other option so we'll do whatever needs to be done. We'll help each other stay strong.

And yes, we do that by choosing optimism and courage, by being decent to each other, even by snapping up some Wilco tickets to feed our souls for the fight.

Go us!!!

Boss_Tweedy, I'm so glad 2016 brought some genuine joy to your family! I wish your dad continued health!

Thanks, kidsmoke. I very much appreciate the kind words & well-wishes. My best to you & yours (and to all of us) in the new year.