15965536_1442006865840151_65669659984333

I don't think I've ever heard a more appropriate name for the music within an album than "Happiness of Living".  The record was birthed in Brazil, and has a blend of Brazilian rhythms, space-pop, sounds, noises, psychedelia, and even vocals(!) which are pure joy.  It's extremely musical, with tunes that are both catchy and too-weird-to-be-catchy at the same time. 

Check out some of the articles (RS here http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/on-fillmore-wilco-related-duo-learns-to-let-go-in-brazil-w472547 and Chicago reader here http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/fillmore-glenn-kotche-darin-gray-happiness-living-new-album/Content?oid=25948840) on how the record came to be. 

Really cool that they could bond with folks down there so deeply with just one visit, although having been there just one time (during last year's triumphant Wilco visit to South America), I suppose it's not that surprising.  The people and culture there are absolutely infectious. 

I could listen to this one all day... and I just might!!

Vince

It's such a great record, been on repeat for me since it was released. Catch them live if you have the chance, their set at Big Ears was phenomenal

The funny thing about the Big Ears set, though, was that they basically didn't do any of the songs off the new record. Glenn said they weren't able to get their Brazilian collaborators there, but they will apparently be joining OF at Eaux Claires and Solid Sound.

The funny thing about the Big Ears set, though, was that they basically didn't do any of the songs off the new record. Glenn said they weren't able to get their Brazilian collaborators there, but they will apparently be joining OF at Eaux Claires and Solid Sound.

Interesting. bbop - we need a recap of the other solo sets especially the one that Jeff partook in!

Interesting. bbop - we need a recap of the other solo sets especially the one that Jeff partook in!

Oh man, I couldn't begin to do justice to that one. But it was pretty awesome. Chris Corsano is a powerhouse drummer, while Darin wasn't even really playing bass per se, but had his instrument on his lap and would interchange various metallic bowls and such in between the strings that he used to create various textures and sounds. Jeff mostly created feedback and noise on a couple of electric guitars, including a red one I hadn't seen him play before that had buttons that he was using almost like an autoharp.

I think they were all really pleased with how it turned out, given that it was their first time all improvising together. And I hear that they might reprise it at Solid Sound...

Oh man, I couldn't begin to do justice to that one. But it was pretty awesome. Chris Corsano is a powerhouse drummer, while Darin wasn't even really playing bass per se, but had his instrument on his lap and would interchange various metallic bowls and such in between the strings that he used to create various textures and sounds. Jeff mostly created feedback and noise on a couple of electric guitars, including a red one I hadn't seen him play before that had buttons that he was using almost like an autoharp.

I think they were all really pleased with how it turned out, given that it was their first time all improvising together. And I hear that they might reprise it at Solid Sound...

I think you just did it justice - sounds pretty fantastic.

bummer for you all who were at Big Ears... but wow, that is great news for SS. 

Fingers crossed, Jim!