• 1 year later...

I'm gonna resurrect this thread. 

One of my very best tour buddies from my Dead show days used to call me up (on my landline at the time, no less!) whenever he was on the road following bands - Phish in particular- "Hey it's set break, I just wanted you to know they did Bowie and it WENT places" . He loved all genres of music but he was an extreme Dead/Phish guy. Anyway...he passed away at the age of 42 from a tragic accident when he went in for a routine gall bladder surgery and he flatlined during anaesthesia The last time I spoke to him he called from the UIC Pavillion in Chicago to tell me he was getting ready to see SG, not long after they had reunited. "Hey, I'm up at the UIC and I'm seeing Soundgarden". "I fucking HATE you". He knew I loved those guys haha. But that was one of the last things I ever said to him. Sigh.

Fast-forward to May 2017. SG is playing near me at a place I've been to many many times (including Wilco a couple of times). I plan on going but there's a crazy weather event going on - severe t-storms, tornadic activity, etc. - so I blow the show off. You know, "They're back now, I'll catch the next time around...". A week later at 3 AM I'm online and read the news. I knew it was huge. I start crying to the point my old lady wakes up and asks what's wrong. Unlike Bowie or Squire this one took me by complete surprise.  The dude was younger than me by 2 years. 

Since that time I've revisited the records a LOT, and fell down a YT rabbit hole many times. There is a treasure trove of really good interviews with Chris and/or the whole band. Ben in particular is one of those dudes you would like to have a beer with. And a decent amount of stunning live HD/SBD stuff. For a full show that has a nice reunion era retrospective of their career I really cannot recommend London July 2012 enough. It's on of my favorite things on YT.

RIP, CC. 

• 2 months later...

Question for anyone here who is a fan - has anyone been to the "Live From The Artists' Den" (Wiltern Theater, LA) screenings? I know Kim turned up to introduce it at The Wiltern last week for the first airing, and apparently Kim AND Ben were there to introduce it (Seattle?) tonight. That show in the film is well loved by the band as well as the fans. It's pretty epic. It doesn't have that wild energy of the early years but it's a sweet document of a very professional band crushing tunes from every phase of their career. Bits and pieces have existed off and on on YT for awhile. It's going to be at an IMAX in downtown Indy and I really want to see it. Any feedback appreciated if you've saw it.