Flaming Lips - "American Head"

• 4 weeks later...

"American Head" is out today. Beautiful record.

I got thinking...has there been a better American band the last 25+ years?

Yes, of course it's subjective. And yes, Wilco has a very good argument. I lean that way myself.

There's something about the Flaming Lips quirkiness and resiliency and Wayne Coyne's optimism and hope that feels like the American spirit. I like his new quote in Rolling Stone:

"I think the world is a wonderful, beautiful, insane place. I don’t think of the world as being this great punisher that’s here to teach us horrible things. Surely, there is a lot of injustice and there’s a lot of pain, but the world can really only be as beautiful as you see it. Two people can be standing in front of the sunset, and one of them just sees it as a waste of time: 'What are we standing here for?' And the other one sees it as the greatest experience they’ve ever had."

Anyhoo. Music fans are lucky to have both bands creating good music for so long.

Summerteeth came out two months prior to SB, amazingly. What a couple months those were!

I drove people crazy with Summerteeth. I had liked the first two WIlco records plenty but seriously flipped out on Summerteeth. It's been an issue ever since, haha. Both of those records have a timeless quality & still hold up today. Neither sounds dated at all. Probably still my favorite Wilco record although it's close. YHF, AGIB & definitely Kicking Television are right up there, also.

I drove people crazy with Summerteeth. I had liked the first two WIlco records plenty but seriously flipped out on Summerteeth. It's been an issue ever since, haha. Both of those records have a timeless quality & still hold up today. 

Agree.

I might have played Soft Bulletin, Summerteeth & Deserter's Songs (Mercury Rev disc out in late '98) every day for all of 1999. Pavement, Built To Spill & Sigur Ros also had really good albums out that year.

Great album...

:guitar