I loved Charlie dearly for his curmudgeonly attitude to the 'upstart' rock'n'roll compared to his beloved jazz, and his drum sound on the Some Girls album is one of my favourites.

Found this on Wikipedia that's so funny if true.

One anecdote relates that in the mid-1980s, an intoxicated Jagger phoned Watts's hotel room in the middle of the night, asking, "Where's my drummer?" Watts reportedly got up, shaved, dressed in a suit, put on a tie and freshly shined shoes, descended the stairs, and punched Jagger in the face, saying: "Don't ever call me your drummer again. You're my fucking singer!"

Then apparently he left the room, paused for a moment, came back, and punched him again. Brilliant.

• Haha 3
4 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

I loved Charlie dearly for his curmudgeonly attitude to the 'upstart' rock'n'roll compared to his beloved jazz, and his drum sound on Some Girls is one of my favourites.

Found this on Wikipedia that's so funny if true

One anecdote relates that in the mid-1980s, an intoxicated Jagger phoned Watts's hotel room in the middle of the night, asking, "Where's my drummer?" Watts reportedly got up, shaved, dressed in a suit, put on a tie and freshly shined shoes, descended the stairs, and punched Jagger in the face, saying: "Don't ever call me your drummer again. You're my fucking singer!"

Charlie provided the backbeat to my youth. Thanks for a wonderful story about this class act!

Damn - this feels like a watershed moment for boomers like me.  Charlie may have been unwell recently - but he was 80. A trickle that unfortunately will turn into a flood over the next few years.

Whenever I made party tapes in the '70s and 80s I always included loads of Stones songs because that's what got people up dancing.  Most of that was down to Charlie and his irresistible swing. 

• Like 1