Jeff Tweedy — 1 June 2024, Chicago, IL (Vic Theatre) [Annual Benefit Shows; Night 2 of 2]

Apologies for taking so long to get this posted, but I had to catch up on some shuteye and then watch another irritating Cubs loss. Mostly the former, because getting in line at the crack of dawn is apparently what it takes to get in a request at Jeff’s annual benefit shows at the Vic these days. I’m kidding, but barely. Since the number of requests taken were scaled back from 30 to 20 several years ago, the effect has naturally been that the line for those who care to make the requests has only started earlier and earlier.

After all, as Jeff usually says — half jokingly — in his disclaimer/introduction at each of these benefit performances about of the group of people who line up early and request the songs that will comprise the bulk of the setlist for the show, “These are not normal people.” I would say that most or all of those folks probably wear that comment as a point of pride, though I would say whether their song choices are actually as out there as they could be lies in Jeff's hands in terms of what he decides to play. In any case, I guess enough "other" people still enjoy these annual shows to keep turning out year after year to see what happens despite Jeff's regular warnings about how "it's not gonna be a good show," and how "it's a slog...it's a long night."

More to come, but for now, here was the complete setlist as played for Night 2 at the Vic:

I Am My Mother

Message From Mid-Bar

I Can't Keep From Talking

Country Disappeared

You And I

Spiders (Kidmoke)

Satan, Your Kingdom Must Come Down

Laminated Cat aka Not For The Season

Guess Again

Even I Can See

Pick Up The Change

Pot Kettle Black

Meant To Be

Magnetized

War On War

ELT
Flowering

new song-KC Rain

Gwendolyn

Hoodoo Voodoo

Just A Kid

Via Chicago (w/harmonica)

Candyfloss

• Like 5

Thanks, @bböp!

This was a lovely show. Just A Kid was a joyful highlight for me -- I've waited so long to hear that one live. Jeff didn't mention the name of the requester, but whoever you are I tip my Spongebob cap to you. After he played it, Jeff mentioned that "it might be the best song I've ever written" and lamented how much he misses Spongebob. He recalled an episode where Spongebob, when buying a ticket home from the darkest depths of the sea, remarks that "This isn't your average, everyday darkness. This is ADVANCED darkness." Jeff joked that he thinks about that line every day.

It was a treat to hear Message from Mid-Bar -- thanks again, @bbop! And I Can't Keep from Talking. And Pick Up the Change. And Satan. And a new song. And of course Laminated Cat. The set was a zesty mix of deep cuts with some oft-played favorites sprinkled in. We got Jeff texting with Susie and a shout out to Pedrobot, who was in the audience (he's "never better!"). And a great moment of terse Jeff dismissiveness when someone in the balcony yelled "looks like another Martin" and Jeff responded witg: "I don't think you needed to do that." It recalled a favorite moment from an Eels show years back when a guy kept shouting requests at Mark Oliver Everett and he said, very dryly: "Sir, please don't talk to us."

We can't make it to SS this year (sigh), but I'm curious which deep cuts from these shows will venture east and get the full band treatment. Thankfully there's the Salt Shed to look forward to!

Happy summer, everyone. Here's to the continued fight against advanced darkness.

• Like 2
On 6/3/2024 at 1:49 AM, bböp said:

I would say that most or all of those folks probably wear that comment as a point of pride

Indeed. celebrate neural diversity. Ta.

13 hours ago, unifiedtheory said:

I'm curious which deep cuts from these shows will venture east and get the full band treatment.

Yes, I was wondering how many dry runs there would be included.

On 6/3/2024 at 1:30 PM, unifiedtheory said:

Thanks, @bböp!

This was a lovely show. Just A Kid was a joyful highlight for me -- I've waited so long to hear that one live. Jeff didn't mention the name of the requester, but whoever you are I tip my Spongebob cap to you. After he played it, Jeff mentioned that "it might be the best song I've ever written" and lamented how much he misses Spongebob. He recalled an episode where Spongebob, when buying a ticket home from the darkest depths of the sea, remarks that "This isn't your average, everyday darkness. This is ADVANCED darkness." Jeff joked that he thinks about that line every day.

It was a treat to hear Message from Mid-Bar -- thanks again, @bbop! And I Can't Keep from Talking. And Pick Up the Change. And Satan. And a new song. And of course Laminated Cat. The set was a zesty mix of deep cuts with some oft-played favorites sprinkled in. We got Jeff texting with Susie and a shout out to Pedrobot, who was in the audience (he's "never better!"). And a great moment of terse Jeff dismissiveness when someone in the balcony yelled "looks like another Martin" and Jeff responded witg: "I don't think you needed to do that." It recalled a favorite moment from an Eels show years back when a guy kept shouting requests at Mark Oliver Everett and he said, very dryly: "Sir, please don't talk to us."

We can't make it to SS this year (sigh), but I'm curious which deep cuts from these shows will venture east and get the full band treatment. Thankfully there's the Salt Shed to look forward to!

Happy summer, everyone. Here's to the continued fight against advanced darkness.

Tom requested Just a Kid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 6/4/2024 at 1:45 PM, King oscar said:

Tom requested Just a Kid.

Twice!!

Jeff skipped it Friday but played it Saturday.  Just a Kid / Hoodoo / Candyfloss made for a delightful "light" back end of the set.

• Like 3