Wilco — 18 June 2024, Raleigh, NC (North Carolina Museum Of Art)

Unfortunately I wasn't able to make it down for this show, but in the interest of recordkeeping, if nothing else, I figured I should at least crosspost the setlist over here as posted by the good folks at Wilcoworld. If anyone was at the show, please chime in with some thoughts/reports/etc.

For now, here was the setlist as played, according to Wilcoworld:

Infinite Surprise

Handshake Drugs

War On War

At Least That's What You Said

I Am My Mother

Cruel Country

I Am Trying To Break Your Heart

Meant To Be

Company In My Back

Cousin

Bird Without A Tail/Base Of My Skull

I'm Always In Love

Hummingbird

Evicted

Box Full Of Letters

Jesus, etc.

Impossible Germany

Dawned On Me

Heavy Metal Drummer

A Shot In The Arm

-----------------------------------------------

Via Chicago

California Stars

Spiders (Kidsmoke)

Only one area in the crowd and one person's POV, but there was a video of the crowd a ways back from the stage on Facebook. The person shared it complaining about how lame and low energy the audience was. They were sitting in lawn chairs, it looked like one person was reading a book.

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, nalafej said:

Thank you bbop! I wonder if we should do the same for the private gig they played the evening before this?

Are you aware of any details regarding that gig? I was aware of it, but don’t really know any specific details…

32 minutes ago, bböp said:

Nice. I guess that blasted setlist.fm does have its uses from time to time. 

Well, I wouldn't have trusted setlist.gm without that pic from A Shot in the Arm on facebook, but 2 references feels right. Surprised they did a full gig for the private show.

• Thanks 1
27 minutes ago, nalafej said:

Well, I wouldn't have trusted setlist.gm without that pic from A Shot in the Arm on facebook, but 2 references feels right. Surprised they did a full gig for the private show.

I heard it was a 90-minute set, fwiw. Which makes sense under standard contract terms.

2 hours ago, chaslor said:

Here's a look at my look of the show. 

NCMA Photos

Great shots as usual, Charles (especially the candid of my man, Ashwin)! Nice to get a sense of the setup at the front of the stage there. So was it reserved seating? Or GA seated? I seem to remember there not being that stanchion/barrier thing across the front last time and them letting people actually sit on the steps of the stage, but that could be a faulty memory. I also remember someone tossing an empty beer can that hit John and Jeff not being happy about it.

Sorry about the can last time, it was either that or the kamera, something had to go :unsure  Of course Ashwin must be featured, as he is such a great guy. This was the first time I’ve been there with any sort of rail. I’ve seen pics where that odd set of steps was cordoned off, but this was different. You are correct that previously at most all shows there the GA folks (reserved seating generally starts at row 5 of the seats) could crowd the small area in front of the stage, including stepping up to be almost eye level with the band on this very low stage. There's a semi wide-angle pic buried somewhere on my Instagram of the last time where it feels as though I was standing on stage, but that was simply a view from my fixed audience perspective. This time, they set up a sequestered area that was about 40 folding chairs in that same small area. While there were no assigned seats in this area, one had to be ticketed for that in order to be there. I have no idea how that works. I think this simple change led to many people remaining seated during the early portion of the show. Since normally there would be no seats there, everybody would have been standing. Which means everyone in about rows 1-4 would have been forced to stand just to see because of the very low stage. That would have cascaded upwards.

NCMA is a very pleasant smallish outdoor venue with minimal amphitheater seating and a sprawling lawn above. The grounds are pretty interesting and make for a great walk, with outdoor art installations spread over dozens of acres. Fortunately, the weather was reasonable for this time of year in NC. I recall seeing Gillian Welch several years ago where the humidity was oppressive. Also once seeing Leo Kottke where he simply could not keep his guitars in tune due to the heat/humidity. For your records, this one clocked in at 2:09.

• Thanks 1

Great pictures and write up. They clearly like playing here, regardless of the audience.

I was front row stage left behind the pit area. Just a super experience being that close and seeing this band still amze me after all of this time.