She was suffering from a cold, but was in good spirits and still sounded otherworldly. I was a little bummed that she skipped "A Widow's Toast" and "Margaret Vs. Pauline" from the new album, but if cutting those was necessary for me to hear perfect versions of "I Wish I Was the Moon" and "Deep Red Bells," then so be it.

Side note: The preshow music included "Shot In the Arm" and "I Got You" back-to-back.

Agreed. The show was excellent. "Margaret Vs. Pauline" was the only song I wanted to hear that she didn't play--otherwise the setlist was great. Also, hearing all of the songs together made me realize how awesome the new album is--the new songs really stood out above the rest for me.

It was my first show at the Pabst and although the acoustics and sightlines were as good as I've seen in Milwaukee (from near the front of the first balcony), all of the (peer-pressured) quietly sitting down in plush velvet seats made me a little sleepy at times. I know it's a long-standing debate here, but I guess I'm a stand-up-at-the-concert sort of person. :rock And I did get shushed by some very serious dudes at one point during Martha Wainwright's set... :brow

So, what did you think of Martha Wainwright? It was my first exposure to her and I was kinda "bleh." I thought she had a great voice, but the songs were a bit bland.

Show was great...check my blog tomorrow for my review and pictures. I had a GREAT time.
Post it here....

Can't wait for Saturday. Hope someone posts up a story about Chicago which I am passing on.

LouieB

Also, hearing all of the songs together made me realize how awesome the new album is--the new songs really stood out above the rest for me.

I was surprised to have the same reaction.

Speaking of the new album, does anyone else love this use of rapid internal rhyme in "That Teenage Feeling": "I don't care if forever never comes..."?

So, what did you think of Martha Wainwright? It was my first exposure to her and I was kinda "bleh." I thought she had a great voice, but the songs were a bit bland.

I had heard some Martha previously, so I knew what to expect. Like you, I found her pleasant, talented, vibrant, but not exactly my cup of tea. I enjoyed her set, but I heard nothing that would inspire me to buy her stuff.

I sorta dragged my wife along to Neko, with the promise that she would really enjoy it. She did like it, but on the way out her first observation was "I liked Jenny Lewis more."

I sorta dragged my wife along to Neko, with the promise that she would really enjoy it. She did like it, but on the way out her first observation was "I liked Jenny Lewis more."

ugh.

i love Jenny, but they're not even on the same plain in terms of songwriting & vocals :hmm

ugh.

i love Jenny, but they're not even on the same plain in terms of songwriting & vocals :hmm

That's what I said. She conceded that Neko's voice is superior, but observed that Lewis' style and sound is more personally appealing to her.

I haven't seen Jenny Lewis, heard the album. Jenny is very pleasant and a good songwriter, but Neko is a fantastic vocalist as well as a songwriter. Will get back on tomorrow to talk about the Lansing show. Hmmm...anyone over at porchlight I wonder??

LouieB

A friend sent me the link for this. It's not the greatest quality, but it's a nice souvenir from the Pabst show.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mqgmWWiURrI&search=neko%20case

I took video of 4 full songs from the First Ave show, but unfortunately I don't have the time or knowledge to upload these to a site where people can get them. I have quicktime videos of "Furnace Room Lullaby," "Fox Confessor Brings the Flood," "I Wish I was the Moon Tonight" and "The Tigers Have Spoken."

The audio on my camera was suprisingly good. The video quality varies from decent (2 songs) to barely watchable (blurry on 2 songs).

I was in the balcony so I have an overhead shot of Neko. I am generally happy with the results. The show was simply beautiful.

Speaking of the new album, does anyone else love this use of rapid internal rhyme in "That Teenage Feeling": "I don't care if forever never comes..."?

:yes

Just got back from the show, was pretty good, posted a full review in my blog (see my signature). David Ortiz and David Ortiz, where were you guys located? I actually decided to sit down for this one on those nice comfy couches up top.

Good show. I was upstairs, too.

I agree with your point about the tunes running together for awhile there in the middle of the set. But I don't know much of her catalogue, and the ones I recognized definitely stood out, so I imagine the rest would've too, had I known them.

She has one of the most unique singing voices I've ever heard, and when she first opened her mouth, I thought "Wow, that really is her voice". You know? Like, my friend saw Johnny Cash once and said the same thing to me after; he couldn't believe that the voice he'd heard on record actually existed.

Her version of Wayfaring Stranger (I think it opened the second encore) was my favorite moment of the night, followed by the tunes from Fox Confessor.

I especially enjoyed the banter among bandmates, and Neko's wildly proud admission that she got her period halfway through the show. After the first or second song, she apologized for striking a bad chord on her guitar: "I was smelling myself. I smell like a salmon." I have to admit, I wondered then if she was menstruating. Really. Found out after the show Lady Stewart thought the same thing.

My friends and I got there ridiculously early so we went in when the doors opened and ended up standing (almost) front and center. Martha Wainwright was entertaining. She said "my brother Rufus wanted to be here but he couldn't make it" which seemed both funny and gratuitous.

Neko was great. I had never seen her before and I agree with Sir Stewart's comment about her voice. You hear it on the albums and it is impressive, but to be ten feet away from her as she sang was a treat. I got chills when she sang Deep Red Bells. The rapport between the band members (particularly between Neko and Kelly Hogan) was great and we all certainly learned a lot more about the band

I have some Neko viseos from the first show of the tour at First Ave. Can someone walk me through how to set up a link here from Yousendit? I asks for the email address for the person you want to send the files to...how do you set up a link that everyone can click on and download? My videos are better quality than those from Pabst Theater.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Didn't think I have enough to say to merit its own thread, but I saw Neko for the first time in Philly last time and was just completely blown away :w00t . She was in great spirits throughout despite still being sick (said she has a whole in her throat) and saying after the third song that she never in her life had to pee more than she did right then.

Standing right in from of Neko and Kellie, the haunting beauty of their voices just took me away with them on many occasions during the set. Highlights for me included "I Wish I Was The Moon", "Furnace Room Lullaby", and "Deep Red Bells". About half way through when Neko mentioned that they were about to play a song for the first time and it was probably going to be a disaster, I knew from the board that it had to be "Margaret vs Pauline". It was the absolute furthest thing possible from a disaster :wub . She then run upstairs to pee (not without the crowd's blessing first), and John and the band busted out a bluesy little impromptu number until she got back. Funny little banter moment when she got back.

Neko: "This is a song about desperation"

Bearded Indie Dude: "Aren't They All"

Neko: "Hmm, why yes sir, I guess they all are"

Great night all around. Crowd was excellent for the most part, and the Troc is one of my favorite places to see a show. I've always been more a NYC guy being originally from North Jersey, but I'm starting to like Philly more and more for shows. Definitely the show of the year so far for me. The most refreshing thing to me about Neko was that she doesn't seem to take herself too seriously. Unparalleled voice, great banter amongst the band, and simply amazing songs. Thanks again to the VCers for the inspiration to want to make the trip. :worship Definitely worth it. Beats watching the Yankees :yucky .