Rhett Miller Sundown in the City 6/22/06

Nice review. Your traffic updates always make me laugh. Are you the sort who freaks out about being late? I still don't think I have ever heard anything by him (I don't intentionally avoid him, honest), but your one woman crusade certainly means I know his name now :P

Nice review. Your traffic updates always make me laugh. Are you the sort who freaks out about being late? I still don't think I have ever heard anything by him (I don't intentionally avoid him, honest), but your one woman crusade certainly means I know his name now :P

:)

i freak out if i am not there an hour before the show starts. if we were late i would probably faint

I was at the show, too, and arrived too late to catch the fabulous opening act, local rockers The Tenderhooks. I dare any city in the country to produce a music scene as rich and talented as Knoxville's (on a per capita basis, that is). Of course I'm biased because I've been a part of that scene for over 20 years, but still... Mic Harrison and the High Score, Tim Lee, Todd Steed, Stewart Pack and the Royal Treatment, The Westside Daredevils, The Rockwells and The Whisky Scars just to name a few. It was good to see K-Town being represented so well at Bonnaroo this year. Like the MetroPulse article by Jack Neely said, even though these local bands are well connected (A.C. Entertainment main man Ashley Capps is a Knoxvillian), that does not belie the fact that they are Bonnaroo-caliber acts. I was a small part of that with The Tim Lee Band; it was the opportunity of a lifetime, but I'm rambling...back to Rhett Miller.

No traffic problems here, since I live less than 10 miles from downtown Knoxville. I was really surprised at how sparsely attented last night's show was. I've been at shows before where the Market Square was packed so full that I was extremely uncomfortable (I have personal space issues), but there was plenty of room to stretch out last night. Rhett Miller seemed to be really enjoying himself, which is always a plus. Nothing I hate worse than seeing a performer who acts as if it's a burden to be there. The band was lean and tight; the guitar player was particularly good, ripping off manic solos such as "Our Love" note-for-note. I'm not sure if he's the guy who played on the record or not, but he effectively nailed it. He could of been, however, turned up a tad in the mains. My only complaints (minor, I might add) were that the backing vocals were a little "pitchy" (to borrow a phrase from American Idol). Miller's music relies on good harmonies, and they were a bit off. Also, I thought the drummer was a bit stiff. She kept a steady tempo and was far from being a Meg White-type novelty "girl on drums" type; she had chops. But still, a bit clunky and slightly ahead of the beat. I think a drummer with a more fluid behind the beat style would have served the band better. But hell, it was a free concert, and this was the one Sundown In The City that stood out to me on the calendar when it was announced. In fact, it was the only one I've seen this year, and I most certainly won't return for the finale next week, being that it's going to a jam band noodle-fest with that band Perpetual Groove.

Perpetual Snore is more like it...

rhettmillersundown6un.jpg

Edited by BolivarBaLues

I got to hear a bit of one of the songs on a cell phone from TG in the backseat...

And now a nice song about Knoxville, sure to make everyone's afternoon.

LouieB

The Knoxville Girl

I met a little girl in Knoxville

A town we all know well

And every Sunday evening

Out in her home I'd dwell

We went to take an evening walk

About a mile from town

I picked a stick up off the ground

And knocked that fair girl down;

She fell down on her bended knees

For mercy she did cry

Oh, Willie dear, don't kill me here

I'm unprepared to die

She never spoke another word

I only beat her more

Until the ground around me

Within her blood did flow.

I took her by her golden curls

And I drug her 'round and 'round

Throwing her into the river

That flows through Knoxville town

Go down, go down, you Knoxville girl

With the dark and roving eyes

Go down, go down, you Knoxville girl

You can never be my bride.

I started back to Knoxville

Got there about midnight

My mother she was worried

And woke up in a fright

Saying, ""Dear son, what have you done

To bloody your clothes so?""

I told my anxious mother

I was bleeding at my nose.

I called for me a candle

To light myself to bed

I called for me a handkerchief

To bind my aching head

Rolled and tumbled the whole night through

As troubles was for me

Like flames of hell around my bed

And in my eyes could see.

They carried me down to Knoxville

And put me in a cell

My friends all tried to get me out

But none could go my bail

I'm here to waste my life away

Down in this dirty old jail

Because I murdered that Knoxville girl

The girl I loved so well.

The greatest hits CD that came out is from 94 to 2001. The only song i'd not heard on it was "El Paso" which is a heck of a song!

That is the Marty Robbins song El Paso I take it.

:uhoh Thanks, Lou, for that lovely poem on this fair Sunday morning. :dead
It does have a very nice melody, as most murder ballads do.....of course the Louvin Brothers are a bit more sweet than Nick Cave......

LouieB