7/15/06; Ottawa, Ontario

Excellent report, big shoes to fill with no Paul, very well done. I did some quick numbers on the setlist and they're interesting to say the least. Check it out: MA2-1, AGIB-5, YHF-6, BT-4, ST-1, and new-3. How's that for a varied set? I'm also curious if this marks the first time in the past two years that an album other than "Ghost,"' had the most songs played? Wonder if some of the other new songs that we haven't seen in Canada are already goners? Only timre will tell. Thanks, Greg

Just got back from the show, it definately had a different vibe than the Metropolis show in Montreal earlier in the week. It was my first outdoors Wilco show, and the music seemed to expand and contort to fill the vast space available. I have to agree, Nels tore the air apart with the sounds he managed to coax from his guitar. Jeff was cheery and talktative, and he really drove home a few of the big moments in the songs. I laughed my ass off at all the wheelchair comments, thankful that I had managed to strategize my way to the front of the narrow GA section. The main Bluesfest stage sucks moose balls. There's a reason I stayed away from that disaster all week, sticking to the fantastic side stages.

Even though it was a somewhat predictable setlist on some levels, I was surprised by some of the choices. As GregRVA said, it was light on Ghost and heavy on Being There. The crowd appreciated that, it seems. I was surprised that Spiders didn't show up, I think that's a first for the six shows I've seen since the album came out.

Nobody was called on stage for Kingpin, but he did pit the standers vs. the sitters for the scream.

Great show.

Edited by Heinekren

I thought it was a great show. Jeff is really good at the onstage banter. I'd kill to see his solo shows because his banter with the crowd in those are hilarious. He's got great timing.

The set was great. I wish they played "I'm a Wheel" or "Kicking Television". Those are songs made for live shows, not really great studio songs. "Monday" is always a wonderful show closer, though. The new stuff is very cool too.

My only problem was the setting. I hated how the hardcore fans were relegated to standing in a narrow funnel next to two "VIP" sections. When I saw them in Montreal back in 2002, it was indoors and I had my elbows up on the stage!

The good thing though was that I finally fully realized that Ottawa really intensely loves Wilco.

This was my first show seeing Nels Cline. Wow. Great guitarist. Pat Sansone really plays well with him. BTW, did anyone notice Cline shaking his noggin like a bobblehead?

Also, we all must give major credit to Tweedy for rockin' the beard and the long hair. It suits him well. His evangelist stuff was something new as well, wasn't it?

I did some quick numbers on the setlist and they're interesting to say the least. Check it out: MA2-1, AGIB-5, YHF-6, BT-4, ST-1, and new-3. How's that for a varied set?

apart from the first mermaid avenue, havent they got another album in their catalogue? :shifty

It was definitely a hot and sticky night. Perfect for an outdoor show if you have a cold beer and a seat waiting for you. Definitely not perfect if you're in GA. I looked over at that area and saw myself 10 years ago at Lolla when pushing and being pushed by other sweat soaked stinky kids seemed like fun. Bob, I thought of you and I don't mean this in a rude way, but am curious to know why you didn't grab a VIP ticket. You seem to be enamoured of Wilco enough. Was it the price point? Did u anticipate the mocking by JT? I thought $54 was quite reasonable for a 10th row aisle seat, and it was the worst VIP seat to be had. Anyhoo, the show was satisfying as hoped. I could see that the guy next to my boyfriend and I thought so too-he sang every word to almost every song and drowned me out. I got a kick out of him. Reminded me of the Beastie Boys documentary when the camera focused on audience members singing every word. A word to Mr Tweedy!-standing is overrated! We still love you as we sit! Sitting is the great equalizer amongst tall and short people. When sitting, we all have a great view of you, when standing we may be looking through someones armpit just to catch a glimpse of the great one. Oh well...I stood on my chair until the last song when some guy in a yelllow shirt grabbed me around the waist and asked me to get down. Was happily singing along to Heavy Metal Drummer when JT changed the words to ..And she lifted up her shirt, he took her back to the van... something about drumsticks...anyway it was good. Did anyone notice that he missed a few lines in one song? About halfway through? Aw who cares, he's the best. Maybe he'll retire here in Canada and play shows with sitting room only since we'll all be too old to stand for 2 hours. My dream!

No Spiders? I don't think wilcobase will say how long it's been since its wasn't played.

Gary, you can go to a show now.

I'd speculate with the exception of the run of festival shows they did in Europe in 2004, Spiders has been played at every show on the Ghost tour except the first Otto's show in 2004.

--Mike

Was it the price point? Did u anticipate the mocking by JT? I thought $54 was quite reasonable for a 10th row aisle seat, and it was the worst VIP seat to be had.

It was more the principle than the money; I already had paid for a festival pass and another $55 seemed a bit much. But mostly, it's just the idea of it. This thing has really become too corporate and I can't think of many acts that will get me back to that main stage. (3 off the top of my head). Can't blame you though - I certainly considered it. Although I did have to sweat it out, and doubt that I'm any younger than you, I did end up with a prime spot with a festival wrist band only.

Did anyone catch Son Volt on Tuesday?

Yeah and they were great. Really good lineup this year.

hey all,

i had a great time at the show, my first wilco experience was a great one. thanks to the boys from sarycuse. hope you are home safe.

i managed to get a setlist and was pretty pissed when i saw what should have been the second encore. due to rosanne cash starting late we all missed out on a second encore of what should have been via chicago and spiders (booo to you rosanne cash)

setlistresizedix0.jpg

kev

I'm really disappointed that we didn't get to hear the planned second encore, that would have been a beautiful way to wrap the show up.

It was my little brother's first Wilco show, and Via Chicago is his favourite tune. He's going to be pretty upset when I tell him...

hey all,

i had a great time at the show, my first wilco experience was a great one. thanks to the boys from sarycuse. hope you are home safe.

i managed to get a setlist and was pretty pissed when i saw what should have been the second encore. due to rosanne cash starting late we all missed out on a second encore of what should have been via chicago and spiders (booo to you rosanne cash)

kev

kev, you went! bravo! :cheers

glad you had fun.

kev, you went! bravo! :cheers

glad you had fun.

me too :D tho it would have sounded a bit better with a horn section ;)

great first show, the guys from sarycuse had been to a few show before and said it was a pretty great performance based on what he had seen before so i am pretty happy, minus the whole second encore, but had i not gotten the setlist we would have all been pretty happy

kev

Lynn Saxberg writes on music for the Ottawa Citizen. Today she did a wrap-up story on Bluesfest and her lead in was: "Right after Wilco's epic performance on the mainstage Saturday, people like radio personality Sandy Sharkey and Bush Pilots' Rob Bennett were declaring it the best Bluesfest ever...."

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/a...20-6e52a71bda42