Flaming Lips 07/24/06 Hollywood Bowl

Wowwwy Wow Wow Wow.... Incredible showing by the Flaming Lips.

So first of all. You can bring alcoholic beverages into the Hollywood bowl, so you know it's going to be great! They were also handing out those tri-colored glow in the dark loops/necklaces to people as they walked in. I got there in time to see the closing of the Theivery Corporation's set. They had some pretty good tunes that got quite a few people out of their seats dancing. Wayne came out wearing large hands and did a song with them to close.

Before the lips came on, Wayne came out and announced that they were taping a live DVD tonight and it would be out in probably 9 month. Then he proceeded to get in the bubble and walk around the crowd.

They opened up with Race for the Prize and the energy was great. People started taking off their glow in the dark necklaces and started forming huge lines connecting them. The balloons were out in full force throughout the crowd as well. They didn't have the usual 6 people dressed as animals with flashlights on stage. This time they had about 30 people dressed as Santa on one side of the stage, and on the other side of the stage they had about 30 people dressed as Aliens.

They played only stuff off of Yoshimi, Soft Bulletin, and At War With The Mystics.

From What I remember they played: (can't recollect entire setlist in order)

Yeah Yeah Yeah Song

Free Radicals

It Overtakes Me

Yoshimi

Race For The Prize

Do You Realize

(I'm not remembering like 2 other songs)

Near the beginning of the set they had everyone throw their glow necklaces to the front. IT WAS INCREDIBLE seeing all these glow sticks flying through the air. I happend to have caught one on my arm like it was the fair and I won a goldfish. People were chucking them the entire night. To look backwards into the crowd and see all these glow necklaces flying at you was very captivating. haha... my concert buddy told me to look behind me, and when she turned around she took a glow necklace right to the face.

The Setlist was rather short. I don't know if there is some kind of cease order on music @ 10:30 there or what?

They closed with Black Sabbath's War Pigs!!!! Phenomenal. The crowd was insane! On the large monitor they kept flashing images of bombs and missles. Then they flashed images of Bush, Rumsfeld, and Cheney and they place went crazy.

Then the parking lot sucked

If anyone knows what song the Thievery Corporation closed with, I'd love to get my hands on that song. Only thing I can recall is that it had a sample of Easy-E counting "and in comes the 2 to the 3 and 1"

Hope my review wasn't too scattered, haha but I guess that's how the concert felt too.

Sounds amazing!!! Word to the wise - never park in the Bowl stacked parking lot. Ever. Get there really early and park across the street at the park. Bring a picnic, bottle of wine, etc. It's stacked parking over there, but not a big lot at all so it's easy to escape pretty quickly, thus not tarnishing any of your glorious concert memories.

my concert buddy told me to look behind me, and when she turned around she took a glow necklace right to the face.

:D Good comedy is all about timing. That's like the only bit from Dumb and Dumber that made me laugh - the snowball fight with his girlfriend from point blank range.

Nice review - thanks!

I believe Cosmic Autumn Rebellion and The W.A.N.D were the 2 songs you are forgetting.

Can't really add much to your review, except to restate that the show was fantastic. I was worried at first because I was half way back in the audience and the sound on Race for the Prize wasn't perfect (his vocals weren't high enough). But everything worked out perfectly and the whole thing was a blast, especially the glowstick throwing.

I think the highlight of the show for me was chucking a glowstick forward, and some girl turned around and it hit her right in the face...classic!

Are the setlists almost the same each concert?

I've seen them like 4 other times and they played much longer. And the movies were better too. I'm guessing they couldn't play their regular movies since this concert was going on DVD. For example, the Battle Royal shoot em up scene wasn't included on Yoshimi. Race For the Prize wasn't it's normal background either. Not nearly as good with the background movies.

First time that I've never heard them play Vaseline either. Nothing old :(

Usually there's at least 5 more songs in their setlist.

I was actually a little bummed they were filming ~ the setup time lost us those 4 or 5 extra songs.

Thievery corporation was insane - it took a few songs for them to warm up the crowd, but once things got going, wow!!! I was totally stoked.

The bowl is a great place to see a show.

I have gotten lucky before in the stacked lot. not this time. I will take the advice to park across the street.

Smaller parkinglots down the way were charging $20 and $25 to park :blink

I hope the lips come back to LA to play a smaller venue this fall/winter

Oh yeah, no one mentioned the topless aliens walking around with body paint on thier boobies throwing the white glow sticks. :worship

Wilco needs to adopt that practice

Park underneath the hollywood and highland shopping center/chinese manns theater. Its not stacked parking or anything, its not a long walk, and if you get it validated (I always go to starbucks, buy nothing, and they do it for free) it ends up being $2 - $5 depending on how long you stayed at the bowl. :thumbup

Park underneath the hollywood and highland shopping center/chinese manns theater. Its not stacked parking or anything, its not a long walk, and if you get it validated (I always go to starbucks, buy nothing, and they do it for free) it ends up being $2 - $5 depending on how long you stayed at the bowl. :thumbup

BRILLIANT!!!