Jayhawks question

Does anyone know why Two Angels is on two Jayhawks albums, Blue Earth and Hollywood Town Hall (which I am absolutely loving)? Is there more or less here than I think? B)

Please, feel free to hijack this thread if you are so inclined....

:ninja

It use to be that bands would redo songs when they went from say an indie release - to a major label release. I think Blue Earth was never ment to be an album - but was rather a collection of demos that was spruced up. I would think that when songs were picked for HTH - it was viewed as one of the better ones among the old demos - I may not have the story right - I am sure someone on here knows the scoop.

It use to be that bands would redo songs when they went from say an indie release - to a major label release. I think Blue Earth was never ment to be an album - but was rather a collection of demos that was spruced up. I would think that when songs were picked for HTH - it was viewed as one of the better ones among the old demos - I may not have the story right - I am sure someone on here knows the scoop.

That sounds logical to me. I usually skip through Two Angels and Martin's Song on Blue Earth and save it for HTH. I think Commonplace Streets might be my favorite on that album. Love the guitar. "This crumpled dollar bill in my back pocket, reminds me I had twenty." Reading this thread is going to lead me into a little Jayhawk binge. It's been awhile. :rock

This is how I remember the story. HTH is on my all-time top ten list.

At the moment, my favorite is Wichita.

Is it just me, or do the Jayhawks sing a lot about death, murder, heartbreak, outcasts, the dark side....? No wonder I like them so much.

Just the good ones before Mark left.

Each album since Olson left has had 2-3 really good songs (O'Reagan had a great one on Sound of Lies and Rainy Day Music). But with Olson, they were all good.

Has anyone heard the acoustic shows with Olson and Louris from this spring?

Has anyone heard the acoustic shows with Olson and Louris from this spring?

I went to one in Hollywood, it was really good. I hope it means they'll be reuniting for an album, but I don't see it.

I went to one in Hollywood, it was really good. I hope it means they'll be reuniting for an album, but I don't see it.

Louris just said Mark is flying out in October to begin work on a new Olson/Louris album. He will also be on Mark's new solo record. He also said there will be a tour.

yeah, because they've done nothing but suck since he left. :rolleyes

I wouldn't say they sucked after Olson left, but they weren't anywhere near as good without him, particularly in terms of lyrics. Louris has a great voice and is a terrific guitar player, but he can't write lyrics to save his life. Most of Sound of Lies is just downright embarrassing -- which is too bad, because the band's sound on that record is really good.

I wouldn't say they sucked after Olson left, but they weren't anywhere near as good without him, particularly in terms of lyrics. Louris has a great voice and is a terrific guitar player, but he can't write lyrics to save his life. Most of Sound of Lies is just downright embarrassing -- which is too bad, because the band's sound on that record is really good.

I'd say The Man Who Loved Life, Bottomless Cup and Sound of Lies are all great songs. The rest is pretty bad. And as much as some people like "Trouble", and "Big Star" they are just rehashes of much better songs already done by the Jayhawks ( Red's Song and Real Light).

Musically, I don't think much changed in terms of how much I enjoy listeningIMO after Olsen left. I still liked the music just as much. However, as stated before, lyrically Gary falls a bit short of previous expectations. Still, songs like Smile, Broken Harpoon, Tailspin, and Save It For A Rainy Day (just to name a few) are incredible tunes.

Edited by Scalzunfield
Still, songs like Smile, Broken Harpoon, Tailspin, and Save It For A Rainy Day (just to name a few) are incredible tunes.

Yes they are.

Have you heard any of Olson's major studio solo albums? He's got two great ones in My Own Joe Ellen and December's Child.