Glenn Kotche & Nels Cline at Lincoln Center, NYC

So, some of you might know that I've been trying for the past few months to put together a concert series here at Lincoln Center, where I work. The idea, in a word, is to present classical music people alongside what I'm calling "contemporary instrumental" artists -- i.e., indie rock, electronic, laptop, etc., performers, to show that it's really one big continuum of music and that everyone has something to learn from each other.

Just last week, I officially confirmed the first date--on Monday, September 18. The performers will be Glenn Kotche and Nels Cline, playing alongside a young pianist named Jenny Lin. Glenn and Nels will be playing percussion music by a contemporary composer by the name of Steve Reich, as well as some of their own original (non-Wilco) works. Jenny will be playing solo piano music by three composers: Gyorgy Ligeti, Dmitri Shostakovich, and a living composer named Elliott Sharp, who will also be performing. Elliott's piece is especially cool in that it's scored for piano and "computer processing" -- i.e., they mic the piano and feed the sound into a laptop, where the composer himself manipulates the stream as the pianist performs. The amazing part is that Nels and Elliott just recorded a duo record together and so will probably be performing a bunch of stuff at this concert as well.

The name of the project will be the Wordless Music Series. You can read a little more about it here: http://wordlessmusic.org. Tickets will be on sale via that site this Friday at 10am. It was very important to me to make these concerts affordable for people who can't buy a $50 ticket at Carnegie or Lincoln Center. For this reason, all seats will be sold for no more than $20.

I have about 4-5 concerts lined up for the rest of the year. Some of the artists who have expressed interest in performing are a little startling (to me more than anyone). I will probably be announcing the next installment, in November, very soon.

I hope you can make it on the 18th. If you know someone who would like to attend, write about this, volunteer, or help out in another way, send them my way.

Okay, someone cut this guy off...

Ronen

:cheers

• 4 weeks later...

I missed this thread while I was on vacation in August. Ronan, this sounds like a brilliant show - a room full of virtuoso performers! I only wish I could see this. I hope we get a full report after-the-fact.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think the series has been really good so far and the credit really has to go to Ronen for having the idea and then putting it together. Glenn and Nels and company were great as always and Andrew Bird last week (it was last week, wasn't it?) was a huge treat! Looking forward to the next show in January...:cheers