Nickel Creek - Peoria, IL - 8/4/06

4th time seeing Nickel Creek and they are better than ever. A very tight 2hr+ show with new arrangements on some of their old songs and covers of "Nice Dream", "Toxic", and "The Weight" (this one in the middle of "The Fox"). Also, while they were fixing a technical issue with a guitar, Chris Thile compared the sound to the beginning of Hail To The Thief and went into an impromptu "2+2=5". During the encore they each played a solo song, including Chris playing Bach on mandolin. For an acoustic band without drums, they absolutely rocked out in parts of the show. They are technically phenomenal and are not to be missed live. :thumbup

Don't forget the Thile project, due out in September. Awesome stuff streaming from Thile's MySpace:

Streaming magic.

SUGA4017.jpg

HOW TO GROW A WOMAN FROM THE GROUND

2006 -- It's a return to the roots for Nickel Creek mandolin god Chris Thile; with guests Chris Eldridge, Greg Garrison, Noam Pikelny and Gabe Witcher. Recorded live to a two-track tape to recreate bluegrass energy. Includes songs by Gillian Welch, The White Stripes, Jimmie Rodgers, The Strokes, Tom Brosseau, plus more of his own originals calling back to "Not All Who Wander Are Lost." With "Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground," "Brakeman's Blues,""Heart in a Cage," and more. Release date 09/12/2006

they did nice dream and toxic at lollapalooza today too! first time seeing them...been wanting to for about 2 or 3 years, but definately worth the wait, though they didn't play lighthouses tale :ohwell oh well, i guess lollapalooza isn't the place to hear that song anyway. toxic was actually awesome. hope someone tapes it sometime.

I don't know my Bach, but my friend said the song he played is on the Live Duets album he did with Mike Marshall.

They didn't play Lighthouse Tale in Peoria either. There are several NC versions of Toxic on youtube worth checking out. I also forgot to mention, they covered Randy Newman's "Short People" in the middle of "House of Tom Bombadil".

The song they closed with was off of Thile's upcoming album and I believe it was "Brakeman's Blues". Anyway, it was fantastic.

what bach did he do?

Probably this piece Sarah, which was on the Marshall/Thile project Into The Cauldron:

The "Goldberg" Variations is the last of a series of keyboard music Bach published under the title of Clavier

• 2 weeks later...
Probably this piece Sarah, which was on the Marshall/Thile project Into The Cauldron:

The "Goldberg" Variations is the last of a series of keyboard music Bach published under the title of Clavier

Guest Speed Racer
after seeing these guys at lolla, i'd have to say, i'm completely smitten!

They played our school's spring concert in 2005, and had a hell of an afterparty. We have two Facebook groups: "I hooked up with Nickel Creek" and, "I hooked up with that old dude from Nickel Creek." :lol

Edited by Speed Racer