Tweedy at Planet Bluegrass Folks Fest: Lyons, CO

So. I'm quite looking forward to this Friday, Aug. 18th as JT takes the closing spot for the first night of this traditionally fantastic weekend. It's always been a very laid back and relatively family-oriented event in the picturesque setting of Lyons, CO.

Any others partaking this coming weekend?

So. I'm quite looking forward to this Friday, Aug. 18th as JT takes the closing spot for the first night of this traditionally fantastic weekend. It's always been a very laid back and relatively family-oriented event in the picturesque setting of Lyons, CO.

Any others partaking this coming weekend?

Lammycat: I, too, am looking forward to this. It's bound to be a magical night. See you there....

Guest Laminated Kat

I am thinking of making the 7.5 hour drive for the Friday night only. I'd like to stay for Andrew Bird on Sunday but I have work obligations early Monday.

I saw that Tweedy is playing for 1.5 hours. The 7.5 hour drive is definitley worth that and I could get some good hiking in.

I am thinking of making the 7.5 hour drive for the Friday night only. I'd like to stay for Andrew Bird on Sunday but I have work obligations early Monday.

I saw that Tweedy is playing for 1.5 hours. The 7.5 hour drive is definitley worth that and I could get some good hiking in.

If you're planning on camping, check availability first so as not to make that long of a drive and possibly be left looking for last-minute accomodations.

http://www.bluegrass.com/folks/index.html

I'll be there as well. Folk's fest is always a good time. Amos lee and Mindy Smith lead up to Tweedy. Saturday's show has Guy Clarke, Kathleen Edwards, and Kris Kristoferson. Amazing. Because it is a general admission, outdoor show (with a large VIP section which takes a good part of the front of the stage), it is a good idea to get there early in the morning to claim some property with a tarp, etc.

I'll be there as well. Folk's fest is always a good time. Amos lee and Mindy Smith lead up to Tweedy. Saturday's show has Guy Clarke, Kathleen Edwards, and Kris Kristoferson. Amazing. Because it is a general admission, outdoor show (with a large VIP section which takes a good part of the front of the stage), it is a good idea to get there early in the morning to claim some property with a tarp, etc.

It's been 3-4 years since I've made it to Folks Fest, but I thought the VIP section was directly behind the soundboard, no? Everytime I've been it's been very casual and not a problem to slip towards the front for particular acts. I'll be in a large group of friends and most of us have young kids so we tend to hang towards the side about half way back. great sound anywhere in the joint, anyway.

Your right about the sound. The last 3 years I've been there, VIP has been directly in front of the stage. It falls back maybe 15 yards? Like you said, hang to the right near the river with the kids. You can walk up to the right of the stage along the river to stand and watch. Otherwise, everyone else is sitting and it's not that easy to see. If you cannot get there before noon, no need to hurry. Prime spost are taken as soon as the gates open. Somewhat of a cattle call once the gates open. Somehow I was elected for dawn patrol so I have to show up in line at 9am. I can roll in anytime on Saturday! Coming from Boulder, not that bad.

Your right about the sound. The last 3 years I've been there, VIP has been directly in front of the stage. It falls back maybe 15 yards? Like you said, hang to the right near the river with the kids. You can walk up to the right of the stage along the river to stand and watch. Otherwise, everyone else is sitting and it's not that easy to see. If you cannot get there before noon, no need to hurry. Prime spost are taken as soon as the gates open. Somewhat of a cattle call once the gates open. Somehow I was elected for dawn patrol so I have to show up in line at 9am. I can roll in anytime on Saturday! Coming from Boulder, not that bad.

Very nice. My wife and kids and the other part of the entourage leave Thurs. morning (from Denver) at 5:30 a.m. just to get in line for kick-ass camping spots(we all got the on-site/car parking). I'll be leaving work Fri. afternoon and heading straight up with all the hassle being (appreciatively) taken care of. Here's hoping the evening storms that have been blowing through the last week abate for the weekend.

Very nice. My wife and kids and the other part of the entourage leave Thurs. morning (from Denver) at 5:30 a.m. just to get in line for kick-ass camping spots(we all got the on-site/car parking). I'll be leaving work Fri. afternoon and heading straight up with all the hassle being (appreciatively) taken care of. Here's hoping the evening storms that have been blowing through the last week abate for the weekend.

You dogs! I hope you enjoy yourself,and the same to your family :thumbup

See you there..can you park on site for folk fest? I haven't seen a show out there in 6 years.

Cheers

C

Yes. But...you need a ticket to. Or, park right outside the fest.

hey cassius: let me know.

argh.. i was just there for the whole weekend pretty much, got there at like 8 or something on friday for jeff he was cock. if it was up to me i would have left right after jeff but no got to stay for the whole weekend.

dont get me wrong..it was a awesome weekend but jeff owned it :dancing

Kris was horrible hes way too old..he may be able to write songs but he cant sing anymore or play the harp

Kris was horrible hes way too old..he may be able to write songs but he cant sing anymore or play the harp

Hunh. I was pleasantly surprised by KK. I thought his voice was huskily well-aged and sootheing. I had never seen him live before and dug it. Besides JT, my third favorite act (behind Assembly of Dust on Sun.).

I did not enjoy Kris Kristopherson's set, but ya know I can say "I saw Kris Kristopherson perfrom Me and Bobby McGee." I had trouble dealing with him having trouble hitting the right notes, missing beat after beat on the guitar, and just cutting off the songs at the end, without an ending really. Hell of a songwriter though for sure. Townes could sing though man, and I really do think that Townes is a hundred times the songwriter that KK is.