I Agree with Al Sharpton ?!?

Typically I dismiss Al Sharpton as an annoying windbag. But he's finally said something I wholeheartedly agree with.

Link to Article

Aug 18, 12:07 PM EDT

Sharpton Wants More Black Politicians

By CLIFF BRUNT

Associated Press Writer

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Many black youths fall under a spell of "gangster mentality," preventing them from becoming leaders and making a positive impact in politics, the Rev. Al Sharpton said.

The civil rights activist faulted Hollywood and the record industry for making "gangsterism" seem cool and acceptable.

"We have got to get out of this gangster mentality, acting as if gangsterism and blackness are synonymous," Sharpton said Thursday at the annual conference of the National Association of Black Journalists.

"I think we've allowed a whole generation of young people to feel that if they're focused, they're not black enough. If they speak well and act well, they're acting white, and there's nothing more racist than that."

The key to leadership is taking the initiative to change things, said Sharpton. He said his National Action Network is just one group willing to help young black leaders get into politics.

"Nobody broke in my house in Brooklyn and dragged me out the projects and made me a leader, I wanted to do that. Clearly, we would work with young people who want to do the work," he said.

Lottie Shackelford, vice chairwoman of the Democratic National Committee, said during the same panel discussion that the time is ripe for getting more young black people involved.

"So many young folks are waiting to be asked, or they say they want others to move so they can gain a slot, and I say, there's room for everybody. Let's work together," she said.

Sharpton, who competed in several Democratic primaries during a 2004 presidential bid, said he might run again in 2008 but will decide after this November's elections.

It's not just black youth that are falling for the lure of gangsterism culture.

It's not just black youth that are falling for the lure of gangsterism culture.

very true. But I wonder if for some it is not more of a passing fad than a true lifestyle choice? I wouldn't know, being un-gangsterish myself...

That's a good point -- not to overgeneralize, but for the wiggers, it's more of an affectation than a way of life.

even a stopped watch is right twice a day.

that said, "gangsterism" is one of the biggest obstacles for me as a high school teacher. why should students improve their mind when they KNOW they'll be wealthy by pimping and selling drugs and/or protection?

even a stopped watch is right twice a day.

that said, "gangsterism" is one of the biggest obstacles for me as a high school teacher. why should students improve their mind when they KNOW they'll be wealthy by pimping and selling drugs and/or protection?

I think Tony has been having the same problem with A.J.

:D

I did actually cast a vote for Al Sharpton in a primary back in the '80s; I think it was for U.S. Senate.

While Tawana Brawley was in fact a liar, and Sharpton, Altom Maddox and the other guy who's name I forget exploited the hell out of the situation, Tawana's story of being attacked by three white guys linked to law enforcement was not considered implausible by many at the time. As I tell people, you get more than 10 miles away from either bank of the Hudson, you may as well be in KKK Land.

And as Chris Rock put it: "He's no Martin Luther King, but if you get your ass beat by the police, he'll be there for you."

I would have a lot more respect for Sharpton if he would call out Jesse Jackson for the lying, parasitic, hypocritical, opportunistic racist leech he is, rather than joining forces with him.

I hope that didn't sound harsh...

:ninja

why should students improve their mind when they KNOW they'll be wealthy by pimping and selling drugs and/or protection?

because there's less of a chance of going to jail or, even worse, getting killed. that's what saddens me about 'keeping it real' and the glamorization of said lifestyle in most of the rap/hip-hop getting airplay on radio and MTV. it's perpetuating that going that route is your destiny because there aren't opportunities avail to you because of your skin color. reality is, it's giving up versus rising up. stop waiting for the 40-acres and a mule to be given to you and go out and find a way to own a million acres and as many mules that'll fit there. sense of entitlement is what holds so many down.

relative to the comment about 'wiggers'...as entrenched as black culture/hip-hop/etc. has become into the mainstream, one could challenge that there are no more 'wiggers'. a lot of kids are growing up w/ the vernacular, clothing, etc. from the get-go. plus, while maybe not as widespread and as much on the surface, there have always been an underbelly of drugs, violence, prostitution in the whitest of burbs and/or rural towns.

And if you're a white kid growing up in suburbia, almost anything seems more interesting than being a white kid growing up in suburbia.

And if you're a white kid growing up in suburbia, almost anything seems more interesting than being a white kid growing up in suburbia.

depends on the 'white kid'...but there's some of that, i'm sure. thing is, there's a lot of parity in poverty/problems the innercity and more rural areas of the south...white kids, black kids, whatever. not a direct comparison, but parity. legitimate 'gangsterism' isn't just a 'black thing' anymore and kids don't see color as much as we do.

Sure. When Analogman and I were teenagers, the homogenization of youth culture wrought by MTV, et. al, hadn't really gotten started. In my school at around 1983, it would have been a pretty radical act for a white kid to publicly embrace hip hop culture. I was digging Run-DMC back then, but kept it to myself. This was a school were a kid got his ass kicked for saying he didn't like Van Halen, mind you.

because there's less of a chance of going to jail or, even worse, getting killed. that's what saddens me about 'keeping it real' and the glamorization of said lifestyle in most of the rap/hip-hop getting airplay on radio and MTV. it's perpetuating that going that route is your destiny because there aren't opportunities avail to you because of your skin color. reality is, it's giving up versus rising up. stop waiting for the 40-acres and a mule to be given to you and go out and find a way to own a million acres and as many mules that'll fit there. sense of entitlement is what holds so many down.

:cheers

although in my experience, kids who fall behind/quit have less a sense of entitlement as disenfranchisement. regardless, they can buy in and benefit. it's just hard to break through the crust.

Hopefully, once our (Illinois) esteemed junior senator becomes president, he will serve as a great role model to children everywhere.

Also, Wilco will get to play the inaugural ball.

Hopefully, once our (Illinois) esteemed junior senator becomes president, he will serve as a great role model to children everywhere.

After he has a little more experience under his belt...I really hope so. I wouldn't vote for him because he's black though, I just like the way he carries himself. Class act and extremely intelligent. Big ups.

After he has a little more experience under his belt...I really hope so. I wouldn't vote for him because he's black though, I just like the way he carries himself. Class act and extremely intelligent. Big ups.

I agree with you on all counts.

I agree with you on all counts.

Obama? He's just another politician...they are all crooked. I did like his speech on conservation, and not being dependent on foreign oil, etc, etc...then you see him leaving the venue in a giganto SUV....nice. This guy will say anything to get elected and then rake evryone over the coals once in office

Just another self-serving, gonna feed at the trough politician who will quickly sell what little he has of his soul left to ensure another term or further advancement of his political goals.

Sorry for the vent but ALL of these jackasses are pissing me of. Democrat, Republican alike. And no I have no answers....shit maybe we need some kind of junta or something I dunno

I listen to Obama's podcast from time to time and he has his head screwed on much straighter than most politicians, especially when it comes to understanding technology.

Yeah? well.......I just can't stand it anymore. I'm tired of hearing them on the news, reading stuff online or in a paper. I am completely disgusted with all politicians in this country. You name it, from the local level here in Nashville, to the state level, to the national level..............

OK I'm back had to go get a blood pressure cuff.........shit, we need Mr Smith to go back to Washington I guess.....

Sorry for the vent but ALL of these jackasses are pissing me of. Democrat, Republican alike. And no I have no answers....shit maybe we need some kind of junta or something I dunno

Be careful, man. That sentiment was a fertile ground for the growth of a certain movement in a certain Central European country once. Democracy ain't perfect, but it beats all other alternatives. The term "benign dictatorship" in an oxymoron.